Votes: 34 21.1%
  • 15% to 25%

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • Over 25%

Votes: 5 3.1%

• Total voters

wingfooted

Recycles dryer sheets
Post your 2014 investment returns here, inclusive of dividends and all fees. But exclusive of any contributions or withdrawals.

Commonly referred to as 'time weighted rate of return'.

INVESTOPEDIA EXPLAINS 'TIME-WEIGHTED RATE OF RETURN'
It is assumed that all cash distributions are reinvested in the portfolio and the exact same periods are used for comparisons. When calculating time-weighted rate of return, the effect of varying cash inflows is eliminated by assuming a single investment at the beginning of a period and measuring the growth or loss of market value to the end of that period

Last edited:
29.6% vs. S&P 500 benchmark of 13.5% and inclusive of dividends, brokerage fees, margin interest and exclusive of portfolio deposits and withdrawals (time weighted rate of return).

But with heavy volatility in the 4th quarter of the year.

Point A - Apple reports Q2 earnings
Point B - October 'almost a correction'
Point C - Black Friday, OPEC maintains 30MM BOPD production target

2014%2Bresults.jpg

Last edited:
401K was 9.23%. Fidelity over all was 11.04 at 11/30, but I had a lot of cash in it for a long time.

The RE portfolio is always 20%+ on my initial investment. Probably a lot higher on an after tax basis.

After sitting out 2013 we started buying back in a few months into 2014. Put in what was sitting in the VG prime money market and added almost twice that amount. Bought pretty regularly every week for about 8 months. Ended up with 5.9% earnings for the year according to VG. Not bad for our time in market.

A discussion is taking place in the house regarding a large chunk of PenFed certificates that mature in a few days. We have adequate income to our needs and I like the idea of the money growing and us not paying tax annually on most of it's increase as it grows. SWMBO agrees but wants to buy low. I don't know when that is...

EDIT: should note that the above is purely our return from VG. Doesn't speak to our rental property or the hard money lending we did to flippers or the .01-4% we made with funds sitting in different banks.

Last edited:
I earned a smidgeon above the S&P 500 return coming in at 11.46%. But that included an approximate 25% allocation in cash and bonds.

How does one go about achieving a 29.6% rate of return? Your last name isn't Buffett, is it?

Balanced portfolio 9%.

I earned a smidgeon above the S&P 500 return coming in at 11.46%. But that included an approximate 25% allocation in cash and bonds.

How does one go about achieving a 29.6% rate of return? Your last name isn't Buffett, is it?

Take a look at this Mock portfolio I put together earleir this year...65k invested would have returned over 25% or $17,000.

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f44/a-quick-mock-15-ytd-portfolio-74099.html#post1537891

As for my portfolio it returned just a bit over the S&P 12% mark.

First 401K was 2.6 %. Second 401K was 3.1 %. Low numbers but I like the stable value funds. :)

How does one go about achieving a 29.6% rate of return?

By having an unbalanced portfolio, and getting lucky on the said portfolio. Been there and done that when I was younger. With my RE fund, I am happy to come in somewhere between bond & stock performance.

6.25% on a 50/50 allocation but slept very well...... I'll be happy with the same performance in 2015 with the international equity side hopefully gaining ground.

12.29% (85/15) - heavy S&P influence, most of the bond allocation is G Fund, 15% stock allocation is International (I fund and Vanguard Total Int'l). My small AAPL allocation gave me a boost, as well.

6.32% with a 40% Stocks, 40% Bonds and 20% Cash portfolio.

I'm happy with the returns and would like more of the same in the future.

29.6% vs. S&P 500 benchmark of 13.5% and inclusive of dividends, brokerage fees, margin interest and exclusive of portfolio deposits and withdrawals (time weighted rate of return).

But with heavy volatility in the 4th quarter of the year.

Point A - Apple reports Q2 earnings
Point B - October 'almost a correction'
Point C - Black Friday, OPEC maintains 30MM BOPD production target

2014%2Bresults.jpg

Interesting because there are a lot of different estimates for the S&P returns that I've seen. I assume the 13.5% includes dividend return, because by all the measures I have, I just beat the S&P but posted 12.29% pre-dividend and S&P was just under 12%. Inclusive of the dividends, PC showed my performance as 14.49%, still above S&P.

6.8% with 55/35/10 portfolio. We're basing ER spending on 3% real returns, so I'm happy with that. Using COLA adjustments of 1.7%, I'm looking at 5% real for 2014. :)

7.2% on moderately conservative portfolio of 44% equities, 56% bonds (predominately short term). With inflation running under 2%, I'm satisfied and sleep well.

I'm too lazy to do my total portfolio... and my old 401k had contributions (since I retired in June)... and my investment account had both contributions/withdrawals during the year... The math gets too complicated.

But I have one rolled 401k/IRA that has a nice chunk of money in it. I got 8.2%. I have another, much smaller, but a lot of international as a percentage - only 6.8%

I also have some CD's that got 2.25%.

Again - too lazy to combine those and get the overall percentage of all my accounts that didn't have contributions or withdrawals.

If the S&P 500 returned 12% how could a 60/40 portfolio return 18%?

Am I missing something?

It depends on what's in the 60%, doesn't it?
I think many of us automatically assume that we're all invested solely in index funds.
I'm gradually moving in that direction, but I won't be there for a while yet.

Meanwhile, there are some good performers, and occasionally even a blind squirrel will find an acorn.

Just as a sample data point, one of my larger holdings this year was FBIOX, which did quite well.

Portfolio balance was up about 20% with DW's continuing contributions and my last contributions and return was in the neighborhood of 12%.

Portfolio consisted of approximately:

60% US equity funds (up about 11%)
10% REIT index fund (big winner for the year - up almost 45%)
10% Bond fund (surprise winner - up almost 6%)
20% International funds (drag on the year - down about 4%)

DW will continue to work for several more years so still very aggressively in stocks.

My 50/50 AA pulled down 9.28% in 2014. I was expecting closer to 10% but I re-jiggered in July when my AA changed from 60/40 to 50/50. My numbers do not reflect about $2000 in dividends that my TSM fund sent to my checking account last year.

Not as good as 2013, but acceptable.

Back
Top Bottom