Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

2015 Alternatives to PenFed Mortgage?
Old 01-29-2015, 05:02 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

2015 Alternatives to PenFed Mortgage?

Hey Folks,
I'm out house shopping and trying to decide who to use for a 30yr fixed jumbo loan. 5+ years ago, PenFed was excellent for new home loans -- but nowadays they have 1% origination fees and seem comparable to regular big banks.

I'm wondering if E-R knows of a secret credit union or site that offers PenFed quality service at the CY2010 fee-level?

If not, I'll just use a local mortgage broker and pay some fees, but less fees than PenFed charges today.

Thanks in advance!
slouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2015, 12:09 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am considering taking out mortgage. Despite the addition of a 1% origination fees the overall APR at Penfed is lower than anyplace I've come across. That said I am always open to finding a better deal.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 12:18 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by slouch View Post
Hey Folks,
I'm out house shopping and trying to decide who to use for a 30yr fixed jumbo loan. 5+ years ago, PenFed was excellent for new home loans -- but nowadays they have 1% origination fees and seem comparable to regular big banks.

I'm wondering if E-R knows of a secret credit union or site that offers PenFed quality service at the CY2010 fee-level?

If not, I'll just use a local mortgage broker and pay some fees, but less fees than PenFed charges today.

Thanks in advance!
The gotcha is that PenFed will not charge you for a whole host of various, sundry, and questionable fees. I would trust PenFed's good faith estimate of closing costs. Any other non-credit-union? I would expect a variety of ways to hit you up for anything and everything - most of which PenFed would never charge you for.

If you're dealing with a Jumbo, then PenFed's 1% fee might be roughly what other people would charge you in unexpected fees in lieu of no origination fee. Just depends on the size of your mortgage, and what they end up charging you.
Old 02-03-2015, 12:57 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you all for the feedback. I do love PenFed's service and I feel they are an excellent company. With that said, I'll be going with a local WA state broker. Others I know personally vouch for them and they quoted me several thousand dollars less than PenFed.

Who knows, I may end up with PenFed again in a few years with a re-fi in the future.
slouch is offline   Reply With Quote