2015 Corvette , On the edge

That's my daily driver behind the Z06. I get 11-12 mpg

I know what you mean. My daily driver is a 2013 Tundra 4X4. It gets about 13 to 14 mpg. My C6 cost twice what Tundra did and gets about twice the gas mileage BUT at least 10 times the fun factor. (Maybe more on some days)

Last edited:
It is OK to have a new car, or other luxuries, assuming you have other financial stuff in order. You state that you can ER now, but have 5 years to go until you actually retire. So enjoy the new Corvette.

LBYM does not mean you have to sacrifice on everything and not be able to have nicer or more than minimum. It means using sound financial practices and avoiding bad debt. You could interpret sound practices as doing the savings so you can have a new Corvette.

++++++ I couldn't agree more! Perfectly stated.

My friend has had his for about 3 weeks. I had a ride last weekend. That's my daily driver behind the Z06. I get 11-12 mpg
That's a hot looking ride.

Friend of ours has a red 2013 C6 Grand Sport convertible, also sweet.

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind getting one like my old '65 back, but in nice shape it would cost near as much as a new one or one a couple of years old.

I know what you mean. The guy I worked with spent more on new brakes a few years ago than he paid for the car in the 60's.

I know what you mean. My daily driver is a 2013 Tundra 4X4. It gets about 13 to 14 mpg. My C6 cost twice what Tundra did and gets about twice the gas mileage BUT at least 10 times the fun factor. (Maybe more on some days)

My C6 and F150 Platinum were close in cost but the C6 got about 28 miles highway. We would have had 1 of each generation but I traded my C6 for the C7. Ran out of garage space and my husband didn't want to park one in the trailer. We take them all out to give them road time and not real convenient getting one out of the trailer where it's parked.
On the C6 we had the dual exhaust option but it was never LOUD. So I got something called "Mild to Wild". http://www.amazon.com/2006-2013-Corvette-Mild2Wild-Exhaust-Remote/dp/B001RK54EY Now on the C7 generation you have that option built right into the vette. It's under "engine sound management" just a few taps on the screen.

That's a hot looking ride.

Friend of ours has a red 2013 C6 Grand Sport convertible, also sweet.
'
For us the corvette is a fun car. We like all vehicles and have had Mustangs, T-Birds (big bird not little bird), Chevelle's & GTO's. I appreciate the work that you put in your vehicle no matter what the brand.

I had always wanted a vette since I was a child, so I scratched my itch when my mid-life crisis hit. There was the cost of the car and then I spent another large sum modifying it. I went on after that with several more exotic cars, so hopefully you can avoid that affliction. Nevertheless, better to get it out of your system now, than to have regrets later.

Now there's a money ride. How long did you have it? All of ours are stock though quite a few of our friends do some major mods.

One of the best things about being FI is being able to enjoy some of the finer things in life. While you're working is probably the best time to make such a purchase--it's really not crazy if you have the savings for it and it does not delay your retirement. But I agree with another poster, pause and think about it for a few months, and if it remains as desirable then, go for it.

I purchased my fully loaded new C5 in 1999. It was the most I ever paid for a car at that time and I wondered at the time if I was a little insane. But it was such a fun powerful ride that I still smile thinking about that car.

Not a Vette, but she is my baby :D

2005 brand new (FIREd in 2007). I'm the original owner.
5 speed, 6 cylinder with lots of pep :dance:

I have a short window of time to drive her, but so what ? She's a FUN ride.

Note the big SE grin on my face.

Attachments

• MustangChick2010.jpg
    MustangChick2010.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Don't own one... But love the Vette

This topic is a very welcome change from the "frugal" thread.

Not a Vette, but she is my baby :D

2005 brand new (FIREd in 2007). I'm the original owner.

I have a short window of time to drive her, but so what ? She's a FUN ride.
QUOTE]

She is a sweet ride. The point of our cars is the same, they're a fun ride.

It's silver - auto(unfortunately) I wish now that I got a manual.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Trade for a C6 or C7 with paddle shifters. Best of both worlds.

Also a tip for anyone considering a Vette (new or used). I'm not sure about the C7's but the C5's and C6's came stock with Goodyear run-flats. IMO, they are terrible tires. I switched mine to Michelin run-flats and found them to be "much" better. A lot better wet traction, smoother ride, a lot quieter, better tire mileage and still Y speed rated. I think the cost was about the same or maybe even cheaper.

Last edited:

I was in the market for a very clean, low mileage 2001 -2004 convertible last year and could not find one with the options I liked, so I backed off. Maybe take up the search later this year. Auto trans is not too bad where I live with all the traffic.

Here's mine. My 2014 splurge as I hit FI at age 45. If you have the means, enjoy yourself.

Attachments

• MyVette.jpg
    MyVette.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 242
I was in the market for a very clean, low mileage 2001 -2004 convertible last year and could not find one with the options I liked, so I backed off. Maybe take up the search later this year. Auto trans is not too bad where I live with all the traffic.

I'm sure (assume) you know about Corvettes of Houston/Corvette World. (Just a few miles down 45 from you)

I'm sure (assume) you know about Corvettes of Houston/Corvette World. (Just a few miles down 45 from you)

Yes, I do. I looked at a few they had and just didn't click on one. I scoured the Corvette forum classified for a few months and either found over priced ones or tons of black on black. There was one in town here, a 2004 that was yellow, but had the correct options and only 24,000 miles on it. But the yellow was not for me. The guy had it on the Corvette forum classified for a good bit of time. Maybe I'll look again once I am through with a few consulting projects and oil hits $40.

Trade for a C6 or C7 with paddle shifters. Best of both worlds.

Also a tip for anyone considering a Vette (new or used). I'm not sure about the C7's but the C5's and C6's came stock with Goodyear run-flats. IMO, they are terrible tires. I switched mine to Michelin run-flats and found them to be "much" better. A lot better wet traction, smoother ride, a lot quieter, better tire mileage and still Y speed rated. I think the cost was about the same or maybe even cheaper.

I have thought about upgrading at times, but I think I'll stay put for a while. I know what you mean about the tires. The original Goodyear run flats were terrible- and very noisy. I'm running Hankook non run flats now and so far they're a good tire and about 2/3 the cost of Goodyears

Happy New Year.

Been saving money and socking it away. Have enough to ER but not going to happen in the next 5 years. Want to but a Corvette and can swing it, but can't break down the mental block of spending money on something I really do not need. For those who have been saving and been rather smart, is it impossible to break down and spend (splurge) on want and not need?

Crazy question, maybe ?

As others have said, not crazy. Expected. It's why you're financially healthy.

Suggestion: go look at a 2 year old one. In just two short years, your new one will be the two year old one -- remembering that in its day that was the "hot, must have" new vette. If you had a choice of your money back or a 2 year old car, which would you take? My point is to wash away a bit of the emotional "new" varnish from the decision.

It might also lead you to actually buy a 2 year old one...getting you both your vette and some of your money.

Whenever I go thru a car shopping phase, I do this and and almost invariably wind up in a lightly used luxury vehicle.

PS: as others have said... Enjoy the car whichever way you go, you've earned :)

Now there's a money ride. How long did you have it? All of ours are stock though quite a few of our friends do some major mods.

It was a 98 Mallet 435 registered with the National Corvette Museum. Here is info on the conversion:
Mallett C5 435 Conversion | Mallett Cars inc.

I kept the car for 3-4 years. It was set up as a track car (road courses), although I used to drive it to work. The neighbors were glad when it was gone as it used to wake up the neighborhood at 6:00 AM:D

It was a 98 Mallet 435 registered with the National Corvette Museum. Here is info on the conversion:
Mallett C5 435 Conversion | Mallett Cars inc.

I kept the car for 3-4 years. It was set up as a track car (road courses), although I used to drive it to work. The neighbors were glad when it was gone as it used to wake up the neighborhood at 6:00 AM:D

That was some serious upgrading! :cool:

Back
Top Bottom