Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-01-2015, 02:43 PM   #81
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
We will withdraw around 4%, the exact percentage will be determined at the close of 2014 later today.
Looks like we will be withdrawing 3.65% for our 2015 budget. Our spending rate hasn't been this low in a long while. The last few years have been very good, and our rainy day fund has been drawn down, so I think this is a good time to take a bit more from the portfolio and build it back up.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2015, 06:10 PM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Celebrating 9 years of retirement this week, I still say saving was easy, spending is hard. My WR has been between 2.5 and 3%, but this is still 2/3 of what I should be spending. Travel and critters are the only thing we spend money on.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:28 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live And Learn View Post
This will be my first year of ER (11 weeks to go !!!). At current planned spending and portfolio value my WR will be 3%.
Updated my portfolio balance at year end and put 30k aside from portfolio to pay for dental work (all those dental work threads have scared me !). Projected WR is now up o 3.1% and contingency fund is now up to 363k (which includes 35k for home improvements which we will definitely be spending in 2015).
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:52 AM   #84

Vast majority of you are stifling the economy with your meager WR. Go spend more. I am doing OMY and my funds can use the infusion of your surplus money.

My WR rate is -10%.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 12:47 PM   #85

4.5% - expecting to do some major home renovations.
N02L84ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 01:18 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
Vast majority of you are stifling the economy with your meager WR. Go spend more. I am doing OMY and my funds can use the infusion of your surplus money.

My WR rate is -10%.
I'm wondering whether I too will join the 3%-ers after I actually retire. The switch from saver to spender may allow my miser tendencies to take over. Even with "unlimited" spending, I saved close to 20% of my 2018 gross.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N02L84ER View Post
4.5% - expecting to do some major home renovations.
Finally, a spender has come forth. For serious ER around age 40 to 50, I can see being careful with a nominal 3% WR. It seems overly conservative for someone in their 60s especially if they have disposable income beyond "necessities." Of course, spending 3% may fulfill all of their wants so that's good too.
Old 01-02-2015, 02:46 PM   #87
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

OK for a spender, our withdrawal rate was about 13% during 2014 and will probably be similar (maybe a little less) during 2015.

To be clear, no that is not the permanent WR we will be using throughout retirement.

So, the explanations:

1. We had 2 kids in college in 2014 and will have 2 this year (one will be done at mid-year if all goes as planned). The other finishes in 2016.

2. We always knew that we would have high withdrawal rates in 2014-2016 and I've run firecalc and other planners based upon that assumption.

3. Firecalc gives us 100% for the total retirement since our withdrawal rate will go down to 3% after 2016. (this is fine for us...DH is 67 and I'm 60)

4. To limit sequence of returns risk, we put aside the "excess" withdrawals for 2014 to 2016 in a short term fund/CDs so that we would never have to sell equities to fund this 3 year period.

5. While we withdrew 13% from the portfolio in 2014 we didn't spend it all -- some was withdrawn so we could withdraw in the 15% bracket money that would be needed in 2015 -- and the ending balance of the portfolio at the end of 2014 is about 6% smaller than it was at the start of the year.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 02:53 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
So, the explanations:

1. We had 2 kids in college in 2014 and will have 2 this year (one will be done at mid-year if all goes as planned). The other finishes in 2016.
We have one in college too, but we had previously set aside money to pay for it (we set this aside while I was still working). It's outside of our "net financial assets" that we base our budget on.

Just how we chose to approach it.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 03:24 PM   #89
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
We have one in college too, but we had previously set aside money to pay for it (we set this aside while I was still working). It's outside of our "net financial assets" that we base our budget on.

Just how we chose to approach it.
Well, I could have said we were doing it that way too. That is, I could say that we "set aside" money while working that we are now spending for college and then I could figure Firecalc using lower assets and lower spending and then I would have a lower withdrawal rate. For example, last year we spent more after tax money in total than we spent on college so I could have not considered that part of WR and just said it was money we had set aside. If I did that then our "withdrawal rate" would be lower. But -- functionally -- nothing would be any different. That is, I would spent the same amount of money last year and our overall chances of financial success would be the same. So, I just lump it all together and look at the whole thing as a total.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote