Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-22-2015, 07:38 AM   #321
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Yeah, pretty amazing. The equity portion of my portfolio is dominated by a low cost TSM index fund and overall has a 55/40/5 (approx) AA. That leaves me well below the S and P 500 performance YTD.
I am negative as well.
Yup it is amazing how many people here beat the market.
eta2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2015, 08:00 AM   #322
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to hesperus Send a message via AIM to hesperus Send a message via Yahoo to hesperus
Negative, in the upper single digits.
My energy holdings, which make up close to one quarter of my portfolio, have been a boat anchor. Still sitting on a lot of cash.
hesperus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 08:05 AM   #323
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
... These are also illiquid meaning people buy them and stuff them in the vault. In fact four of them I own didn't even trade a share yesterday.
Sounds like you might not have a solid gauge on the true value drop last few days.
2015 YTD investment performance thread
Old 08-22-2015, 08:44 AM   #324
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

2015 YTD investment performance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post
Sounds like you might not have a solid gauge on the true value drop last few days.

The ask prices of these have went up a bit the last week corresponding with long end rates dropping. These will trade more in line with the long end of bonds but in a very narrow range. I invest in what I call "yield trapped" utility preferreds. The ones I own were issued between 25-50 years ago. When issued their yields were only a few hundred basis points above 10 year. Now they have spread to 400 making them rather insulated. Why? Because they are past call issues (long past call, though utilities have shown no desire to call them). They should be trading higher but cant be bid too far above par for fear of a call. They cant drop much because their yield is already very high compared to traditional spread. You have to understand these things just dont move much anytime.
Take CNLPL one of my issues. During the depths of the financial crisis in 08-09, this $50 par preferred "collapsed" all the way down to around $44. Utility preferreds react way differently than bank preferreds which collapsed during that crisis. If you check a 10 year price chart of CNLPL you will see what I mean. This is not a capital appreciation stock, its a collect the 6% plus dividend every three months and move on. It has been doing that since 1968.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 08:48 AM   #325

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Wouldn't this thread be more interesting if both your high and low for the year were posted? This would give an indication of the portfolio's beta.

I don't grab a snapshot every day, but on 2/26 I was up 3.5% for the year and as of yesterday, down 3.1% for the year. Like I said, "easy come, easy go". I don't have a way to do IRR by asset class, but that might be an interesting new project.
The highest I reported in this thread was end of May. I'm pretty sure I had a higher return at some point this year but cant remember when it was so I'll use end of May.

End of May...+3.5%
Now...-1.9%

My benchmark is Wellington

End of May...+2.3%
Now............-1.8%

Significant out-performance on the upside and very close on the down side so far. Makes me happy....or as happy as you can be when you're losing money.
utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 10:08 AM   #326
Recycles dryer sheets

-3.03% YTD after the Friday 500+ drop.

After a week like this, I sit back and think about all those REALLY rich people and how they lost a lot more money than I did.
Old 08-22-2015, 10:16 AM   #327
gone traveling

Down 1.38% YTD, and holding ~ 38% cash. Energy hurt me the most, as I've continued to hold those issues.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 10:20 AM   #328
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Down just a little over 3% YTD as of today. Not pretty, but own a little too much of CVX. So not horrible considering........
CVX was I say WAS one of my few good stocks to keep my male hormones happy. But preseason has started and football is coming!

At 22 years of ER the YTD has been trumped by RMD. Pun intended.

heh heh heh - real money is full auto in a life cycle balanced index fund.

P.S. Still have CVX just like I'm gonna root for the Saint's. But the Chief's are also tugging at my sleeve fan wise.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 10:32 AM   #329

Just turned barely negative for the year with Friday's action, my investments are now down $434 on the year.

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f44/why-i-believe-we-are-about-to-embark-on-a-historic-bull-market-run-101268.html
Running_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 10:35 AM   #330

As for preferred stocks the PFF ETF after Fridays action and including dividends is up about 3% on the year about the same as Mulligan

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f44/why-i-believe-we-are-about-to-embark-on-a-historic-bull-market-run-101268.html
Running_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 11:33 AM   #331

Up 2.54% YTD
High was 4.1%
65% cash earning 2.1% in an interest income fund
13% MO
9% balanced fund
13% spread between various funds in the 401K
jfn111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 11:38 AM   #332
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfn111 View Post
Up 2.54% YTD
High was 4.1%
65% cash earning 2.1% in an interest income fund
13% MO
9% balanced fund
13% spread between various funds in the 401K
Did you have 65% cash during 2012 to 2014? Very high cash percentage!
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 11:51 AM   #333

I'm down 0.8% YTD, better than most 60/40 benchmarks. Real estate and cash are the bright spots, especially the 2 rental houses. The stock portfolio is down almost 4% (worse than S&P 500) due to EM exposure and some tilt toward large-cap, high-dividend ETFs. The bond side is about flat YTD, which is also worse than the aggregate US bond market, mainly due to high-yield corporate holdings. Excluding cash and real estate, I'm down 2.5% YTD.
Old 08-22-2015, 12:02 PM   #334
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running_Man View Post
As for preferred stocks the PFF ETF after Fridays action and including dividends is up about 3% on the year about the same as Mulligan

Mine should have been closer to 4%, but I have to relearn a lesson every few months..... Don't combine entertainment with investing. Always have to dabble on the sides and chose shipping preferreds as my "toy". That cost me about a half percent...Sold them and I swear I wont do it again! At least I will try not to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 12:10 PM   #335
Recycles dryer sheets

(-) 3.4% YTD as of yesterday. 100% individual stock portfolio.
This week's paper loss was one year's living expense
Rickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 12:16 PM   #336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
Did you have 65% cash during 2012 to 2014? Very high cash percentage!
I retired in 2012 and was maintaining a 50/50 balance. I started thinking we were heading for a correction so I started moving more into cash last spring.
jfn111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 03:18 PM   #337
Give me a forum ...

-1% YTD as of Friday 8/21.

On 5/18 I was up 3.6% for the year which was just enough to recover my start of year annual withdrawal.
Old 08-23-2015, 03:56 AM   #338
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickt View Post
(-) 3.4% YTD as of yesterday. 100% individual stock portfolio.
This week's paper loss was one year's living expense
there is no such thing as a paper loss .

just because you didn't create a tax event or swap assets does not mean it is any different .

would there be a difference if you closed your position each night and bought the same or different investment each morning to ride up or down vs keeping the money in play in the same investment ?

of course not , your balance is variable and changes all the time and whether you sell or not has nothing to do with your net worth at any point in time.

in fact whether we sell or not our draws are based on that value .

the term only a loss on paper is one of the biggest investing myths.

it makes you feel more comfortable because you can ride that investment back up possibly , but so what , if you sold you would be possibly riding a different investment back up .

as long as the money is kept in play whether you sell or not is irrelevant .

if you sell to cash or if you go more conservative and change reward potential then in effect you no longer are keeping that money in play and in effect if you were in a fund that moved heavier to cash then you would experience the same thing without selling if you missed the move upward .
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 04:22 AM   #339
Recycles dryer sheets

Kinda true... Except of course taxes and trading fees which are meaningful in practice.

But the total post tax less fees is what ultimately matters in practice... So I think that it's worth considering when making hold vs buy vs sell decisions when the price fluctuates.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
petershk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 06:18 AM   #340
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
there is no such thing as a paper loss .

just because you didn't create a tax event or swap assets does not mean it is any different .

would there be a difference if you closed your position each night and bought the same or different investment each morning to ride up or down vs keeping the money in play in the same investment ?

of course not , your balance is variable and changes all the time and whether you sell or not has nothing to do with your net worth at any point in time.

in fact whether we sell or not our draws are based on that value .

the term only a loss on paper is one of the biggest investing myths.

it makes you feel more comfortable because you can ride that investment back up possibly , but so what , if you sold you would be possibly riding a different investment back up .

as long as the money is kept in play whether you sell or not is irrelevant .

if you sell to cash or if you go more conservative and change reward potential then in effect you no longer are keeping that money in play and in effect if you were in a fund that moved heavier to cash then you would experience the same thing without selling if you missed the move upward .

+1 I have had so many discussions with coworkers and others who don't want to sell a stock or fund that has losses in their 401k because they cling to the paper loss theory. I try saying would you buy that today over other choices the answer is an immediate no. Being a 401k holding the tax argument isn't even relevant, and trading costs so minimal it's really the flawed psychology of paper losses. Oddly enough no one ever talked paper gains, those seem real to them.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Rothman is offline   Reply With Quote