2015 YTD investment performance thread

I don't get this throwing out #s in the middle of a trading week and not even at months end:facepalm:

I just ran my numbers this morning. I'm up about 5.3% so far this year. And not complaining...I only saw a 5.6% return for all of 2014! Of course, this year still has a little time left on it.:p

My portfolio updates automatically with One-Step Update in Quicken along with my bank and credit card accounts (when it works right). I usually just glance at the total.

I posted here only because some other folks had, but I typically only look at last 12 months, or last 3 or 5 year periods or YTD later in the calendar year.

Obviously a decent start since Jan 1 but a long ways to go.

My portfolio updates automatically with One-Step Update in Quicken along with my bank and credit card accounts (when it works right).
So, I'd just have to trust Intuit software with the passwords to my bank and brokerage accounts to get this same ease of updating twice per year? I'll stick with the hand-jamming and feel more comfortable that when I do see the balances they won't be zero.:)

Kidding aside, there are plenty of opinions on data security and lots of grey area.

Last edited:
I guess I'm just not as paranoid. :D

I guess if you only update twice a year that would work for you. I update at least weekly. Have been doing it for over 10 years and never a problem. YMMV.

If you do not check your portfolio so often, kindly ignore this thread instead of making a post to the effect of "what's the point of checking your portfolio so often?" I don't get the point of those who post in this thread only to say "I don't check my portfolio so often" when the thread's subject line is clearly for those who are interested in sharing how they are doing YTD (and hopefully, some can learn from their on-going investment strategy).

I'm a Quicken user, but I never gave any passwords to the companies that have my accounts, so I don't get online transaction downloads and just enter manually when the statements are available. That helps me feel somewhat less exposed to security issues.

I do use the quote updates, although Google Sheets provides the same functionality. Quicken is mainly a store for my day-to-day transactions which makes reconciling accounts and doing basic spending analysis easier.

I think this thread is interesting and will probably add a post in Jan '16. I am one of those who, at halftime, thought Green Bay was going to pound Seattle into the dirt. But as anyone who follows that kind of thing knows, the Seahawks are winners.

Yes, February may have gone well but even more dangerous than a W2R "WHEEE" is the fact that I retired yesterday. It doesn't mean the collapse will be today but the market gods will certainly fill me with angst with a bone chilling correction very soon. Be warned! Now is the time to sell out and short everything. I have to stay invested to bring about the crash.

At least, I'm finally retired. :dance:

If you do not check your portfolio so often, kindly ignore this thread instead of making a post to the effect of "what's the point of checking your portfolio so often?" I don't get the point of those who post in this thread only to say "I don't check my portfolio so often" when the thread's subject line is clearly for those who are interested in sharing how they are doing YTD (and hopefully, some can learn from their on-going investment strategy).
Are you looking for end of month YTD figures? Or just looking for Feb returns at this point in the thread? I'll post Feb YTD tomorrow, and add some comments...

Are you looking for end of month YTD figures? Or just looking for Feb returns at this point in the thread? I'll post Feb YTD tomorrow, and add some comments...

Year to date info - from beginning of the year to now. But if you made some changes recently and want to say something about it, that'd be a good info to share.

But if you made some changes recently and want to say something about it, that'd be a good info to share.
Yeah, I changed--from looking at my account twice per year to three times.

So, my return YTD as of 1612Z on 27 FEB 2015: 1.7d70a3d70a3d7
(hexadecimal rocks!)
Conformity is king! :police::police:

Yeah, I changed--from looking at my account twice per year to three times.

So, my return YTD as of 1612Z on 27 FEB 2015: 1.7d70a3d70a3d7
(hexadecimal rocks!)
Conformity is king! :police::police:

Seems like you're having quite the year so far !!!

Last edited:
I don't have any automatic updates...I just go to the websites of my various institutions and get the numbers, and enter them into a spreadsheet. Takes about 5 minutes. Most of the numbers are in by around 6:15 pm EST, and those that aren't, I can usually take a good guess. One of them is normally in by 8 pm. The other, my old Boeing 401k, doesn't update until sometime after I go to bed, but it's only about 2.5% of my portfolio, and is about 3/4 Boeing common stock, so it easy to estimate it.

I set limit buy orders (wish list) and have to check to see if I need to replenish my brokerage account prior to settlement. :blush:So need to check every trading day to see if one of my orders were struck. Last earning reports I was able to get some very nice prices and it put a good dent in my cash pile which is being replenished by fresh dividends - until the next earnings reports.

Actually, they lost ugly two weeks later. :D

I didn't want to go there. I said "are" and meant it.

That's why it's good to be a Cubs fan. You can sit around with guys (preferably with a British accent) who observe, "I say, old chap, they really aren't a very good team, wot?"

Back to the thread!

i use the fidelity insight models.

my growth and income model is up 3.02% and my more conservative income model is up 1.86%.

the more aggressive growth model i used pre-retirement is up 4.08%

i belive s&p is up 2.55%

Mine is a little complicated because I'm now withdrawing money. I started by calculating the annualized Internal Rate of Return. In other words, what annual rate would a bank account have to pay for me to have what I do now, starting with what I had at 1/1 and given my withdrawals in the meantime?

I then took (1+ the annualized rate)^(1/6) -1 (to see what that would yield over 1/6 of the year) and got 3%. Woo-hoo! Edited to add: that's with a portfolio of 75% equities, 25% fixed income.

And if you can follow that, you're probably another geek.:cool:

Last edited:
3.1%

I'm at +2.5% which puts me tied with the SP500 which makes me very happy considering I'm at 60/40.

My trading account where I day trade and trade options is +6% YTD. Its only about 5% of my total portfolio.

Asset Allocation
Int'l Stock 19.0%
US Stock 39.0%
IT/LT Bond 17.5%
ST Bond/Csh 24.5%

Gains
Jan +0.08%
Feb +2.80%

YTD +2.88% for our 58/42 Stocks/Bond portfolio. Early 60's and not withdrawing yet.

February brought most sub-allocations back into line. I helped things along by investing new Roth contributions to Int'l.

At the end of Q1 2015, I will try to remember to post numbers for a 35/65 portfolio I monitor. That one is more interesting.
:D

Mine is a little complicated because I'm now withdrawing money. I started by calculating the annualized Internal Rate of Return. In other words, what annual rate would a bank account have to pay for me to have what I do now, starting with what I had at 1/1 and given my withdrawals in the meantime?

I then took (1+ the annualized rate)^(1/6) -1 (to see what that would yield over 1/6 of the year) and got 3%. Woo-hoo!

And if you can follow that, you're probably another geek.:cool:

I do something similar. I take my Quicken YTD return (which is an annualized return) for all my accounts except my online bank account (which is where my withdrawals come from), do the calculation you describe above but then multiply it by 94% to reflect that 6% of my nestegg is in cash. For simplicity I assume my cash earns zero even though it really earns 0.9% annually. I get 2.8% YTD.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom