2015 YTD investment performance thread

After all that "Wh***ing", who would be surprised that the market is sent reeling?

Keep your seatbelts fastened. It's just starting, folks.

Anyone pulling back a little at this stock market level?

Starting taking dividends in cash late last week. It would very healthy if the indexes move back into long term moving averages the NDX is very extended. If they break below the 50DMA, will buy some inverse ETFs to hedge my long side and see if the 200DMA holds. But do not see anything worry yet, just a little extended.

Doing a little day trading, AHs bought

QLD - 2x long NDX @$150.12 x 500 shares
SSO - 2x long SPX @$133.25 x 500 shares

Have to be here in the morning to "supervise" the cleaner and robnplunger post got me back into doing TA. Was unable to day trade much from Thailand and the itch needs to be scratched. Got a stop loss 2% either way (will move my stop loss up but not down). Let's roll them bones.

Last edited:
Have to be here in the morning to "supervise" the cleaner and robnplunger post got me back into doing TA. Was unable to day trade much from Thailand and the itch needs to be scratched.

dt150223-e1424691189317.gif

Doing a little day trading, AHs bought

QLD - 2x long NDX @$150.12 x 500 shares
SSO - 2x long SPX @$133.25 x 500 shares

Timing. After I entered the trade, "found out" that my nephews will be shuffled off to me for the weekend. They have a full plate of events that they want to do and I have been lazy "very" about moving in. :rolleyes: Also, I receive a new credit card today and need to change over 11 autopays because some have payments due early next week (I moved in Feb 10 but started the utilities on Feb 7 so I could have a builder do a home inspection on his day off - this house has been empty and utilities turned off for over a year). Things you do to buy on the cheap. 3 bed/3 full bath/3 car garage with another car space size storage room, 2690 square feet, all wood floor ranch, on .3 acre for $145K and pretty much move in ready, with amazing mountain views - had to change some light bulbs, get ceiling fans to unwobble, spend $300 on the yard and that was about it, was a very good deal.

Will exit this trade shortly after the open. On the open will buy additional shares of STX and ABBV. Talk to you again in 3 days, that is if I survive the weekend. :greetings10:

Last edited:
Up 3% after the 1st quarter. Lagging are the gold ETF & international high yield bond fund (got Russian company bonds). Leading are my two short term trading accounts with 17% & 8% gains YTD. They make up 40% of my total gain YTD.

For reference, a 60/40 stock/bond portfolio such as the Vanguard LifeStrategy Moderate Growth fund is up 2.2% through March 31st.

At the end of the first quarter, my 60/40 portfolio is +2.5%. I use Wellington as a benchmark since it's a very well run 60/40 portfolio. Its only +0.9% so I'm very happy.

60/40 AA... up 2.0%

[3/31 balance/(12/31 balance - YTD withdrawals)] -1

Benchmark = Vanguard 2020 Target Retirement is up 2.18%... * 94% to adjust for my 6% cash is 2.05% so I'm slightly lagging my benchmark

I'm up about 3.9% as of yesterday's close. Not complaining, but I'm down a bit off a peak hit earlier in the month, where I think I was up about 5.4%.

I'm really interested to see how April pans out. I looked at my records, and for the past 9 years, April was an up year for me. My accounting gets a bit sloppy for 2005 and earlier though...for some reason I didn't save data for every single month until 2006. And from 2006 thru August 2011, I'd keep track highs and lows, rather than the last day's data. For instance, if the high point for April 2011 was on the first, and it happened to hit a new peak on my graph, but then fell for the rest of the month, then I would have only kept the 4/1/11 data point for posterity. So, that would have shown up as an up month for me, but in the real world, 4/11 would have been a down month.

So, take my anecdote with a grain of salt. :D

Closed the first quarter up 1.7%. Took a bit of a hit on the company stock I still hold since I was up about 2.9% earlier.

65/35 portfolio and up 2.5% in the first quarter.

Tilting to small-value and international has been good this year (not so much last year).

For reference, a 60/40 stock/bond portfolio such as the Vanguard LifeStrategy Moderate Growth fund is up 2.2% through March 31st.

Wow, I'm 60/40 on my own (with diversified AA and ignoring cash) and that's exactly what mine has returned so far in my first quarter of retirement.

I'd be thrilled if I could get 2% every quarter, year and year, and I'm glad to see that we may be in for a period of slow sustained growth for a while.

Think I'm lagging the rest of you. 401K personal perf (excluding contributions): 1.95% YTD. 62/38 ish mix. Diversified Real Asset fund has been a dud thus far.

Not thrilled here; IRR of 1.3% on major brokerage account, 1.2% on Fidelity (which I manage on my own). Portfolios are probably 70% equities. Both come out to more than my average 6% return in my projections when annualized, though.

Time to go back and see what's underperforming.

I am lagging this year, up just over 1% YTD (41/59 AA).

Last edited:
Up 2.0% in the first quarter... 2.1% excluding cash. AA is in my signature. Seems reasonable vs other posts. My international equity allocation is still light, which drove 0.2% gap vs the 2.2% 60/40 benchmarks. I also tilt to large-cap, high-dividend ETFs, which did great last year, but not so much in the first quarter. On the positive side, the bond portfolio benefitted from positions in high-yield (HYG) and investment-grade (LQD) corporate; and the relatively large real estate allocation continues to perform well. I'm thinking this is the year I get international equity in line with conventional wisdom.

Not thrilled here; IRR of 1.3% on major brokerage account, 1.2% on Fidelity (which I manage on my own). Portfolios are probably 70% equities. Both come out to more than my average 6% return in my projections when annualized, though.

Time to go back and see what's underperforming.

Huh? Wouldn't 1.3% for a quarter annualized be less than 6%? ie; (1.013^4)-1

You haven't been retired and out of the game that long. :D

Huh? Wouldn't 1.3% for a quarter annualized be less than 6%? ie; (1.013^4)-1

You haven't been retired and out of the game that long. :D

Oops. I started with the annualized IRR but hadn't corrected the formula to bring it down to a quarterly rate. I still had (1+ annualized IRR) ^(1/6)-1 from last month. OK, so my quarterly rates are 1.9% and 1.8% for the 2 accounts. I feel better!

Two major investments that underperformed are Berkshire, which dropped 5%, and MADVX. I'm sure the strengthening of the $US has hurt a few smaller holdings. No reason I can see to change anything.

YTD up about 2.67%...

SigFig has me at 40% equities, 30% fixed/cash and 20% Other. My biggest single investment at 10% of my portfolio is a healthcare mutual fund that's up nearly 9% YTD so that has certainly helped. I've had that fund for some 25 years and have pruned it a bit over the last 10 but it keeps on galloping ahead.

Back
Top Bottom