2015 YTD investment performance thread

I still remember the following passage read in 1999 from a financial magazine (do not remember the obscure author, but he sounded like a Dave Barry wannabe)

"I invest in mutual funds. Lots of them. Here's how they work. When the market goes down, they go down a lot. When the market goes up, they go down a little".

Just above break even overall. About 40% of portfolio is in Wellington which was up .14%, so remainder of portfolio (in 401k) did about the same.

All Vanguard Portfolio of 50/50 % shows 0.2 % return

I am glad the return is not a loss, a wasted year for investment, let us hope 2016 will turn out a little better.

Down1% across all accounts. This negative return wasn't as bad as 2008 when my taxable accounts were down 65%. Hopefully 2016 is like 2009 from an investment return perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

My dividend stock laden portfolio finished the year in the black - to the tune of 34 basis points!

Can't Complain

Up 6.11% if you don’t include August. If you want to be a stickler, total portfolio up .94%. Got crushed in my bond portfolio. Down .93%. I follow two separate equity portfolio strategies. Vanguard 70/30 (-.64%) and Fundx Upgrader portfolio. (+3.34%) (This is the second year that Fundx beat Vanguard by close to 400 basis points not including additional tax events.

My dividend stock laden portfolio finished the year in the black - to the tune of 34 basis points!

That is exactly the amount of interest I earned on my 1 year CD this year. Its finding a new home next month in my IRA brokerage account and being put to work. Maybe this time next year, I wish I was getting those 34 bp's.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Awesome job!
Thanks! :blush: I am an ex-USAF (not retired).
We are DINK's working overseas so we can bank most of what we earn without any hardship and we both came with the same planned goal (reached separately however as we met at work overseas :smitten:) of being FIRE'd at 50 (April 2017 can't come fast enough!).
The only thing we spend serious money on annually are vacations, other than that we are fairly low maintenance.
Just hanging on until turning 50 in Feb. 2017 for the medical benefit and then we are homeward bound to our house in Cocoa Beach FL.
:dance:

Did I read that right? I looked up the Fundx upgrader fund and on their web page gross expense fee 1.99% Yahoo says the same.

^
As per Fundx's website (just checking your work) and Morningstar's website, you read it right.

Everyone better not look this morning. Dow down 455.

Great start to the new year!

Everyone better not look this morning. Dow down 455.

Great start to the new year!

I know! I was just wondering if we should start the 2016 YTD thread (Most of us would be underwater)!

I know! I was just wondering if we should start the 2016 YTD thread (Most of us would be underwater)!

Don't mess with what works: robnplunder did the honors for this great (and useful) thread in 2015, and has nothing to do with the broad markets' performance. It'll get done.

Finished our numbers for last year (2015)
Return -1.87% Big hit in foreign equities. :(
Overall portfolio +5.6% (Because we're still putting in $$) :)

The numbers still fit within our plan.

Cheers!

2015 Performance: 1.06 % Investment Return

71% Equity (59/12 Domestic/International)
0% Bond
29% Cash (mostly CD's with weighted APR=4%))

Crap! What did I do wrong?
I am scared of bonds and bond funds for all the reasons discussed. I have CDs instead but I am thinking of drawing an arbitrary line at 2yrs and calling anything with more than 2 yrs remaining a "bond". If do that, my cash allocation would be about 15%

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom