Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-27-2017, 08:46 PM   #241
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
All done. E-filed both and paid the twenty five bucks for State. Feds accepted return one hour after file. Pin and driver license number and issue and expiration dates given. Gonna be hard to hack me.

Let the state keep all the dough and the feds keep half the dough. Estimated payments here too.

Now drinking rum & coke -
haven't made an estimated payment yet since retiring 5 years ago. Wouldn't help since I can't estimate income very well.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2017, 09:24 PM   #242
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm learning. I hit the state within 10%, way off on the feds.

But hey, I'm new at this and still learning -
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 12:03 PM   #243
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
haven't made an estimated payment yet since retiring 5 years ago. Wouldn't help since I can't estimate income very well.
I just pay what I paid in taxes the previous year, split evenly 4 times.

That way I won't pay a penalty, which is what happened the first year I tried to estimate it, and of course was wrong...
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 10:44 AM   #244
Moderator Emeritus

E-filed on 3/13. I received my CA refund pretty quickly (direct deposit). But I have yet to receive my Federal and AL refunds. I am not too surprised about AL taking its sweet time, but it seems like I usually get my Fed refund faster.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 11:24 AM   #245
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Finished mine on Sunday. Had K-1's dwindling in as normal. 2016 is the last year that I had any work income (3 months part time and a bonus from 2015). 2017 will be my first full year to have just retirement/investment income.

They taxed my Deferred Comp check at 40% so left me with $6,600 back from the Feds and owe state $180. I am dropping off a new W4 to lower my withholding on my check next month.
Old 03-31-2017, 12:54 PM   #246
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via Yahoo to lem1955
I filed Federal, Vermont and California tax returns March 23rd using Turbo Tax Premier. All were received and accepted within a few hours. This was my first year entirely retired. I made sure I had withholdings from my IRA distributions equal to 104% of 2015 Federal taxes, so although I underestimated Federal taxes by about $2700 I shouldn't be fined. I had set aside $3400 in an account to pay additional taxes. Glad I had done that. I owe a small amount to Vermont too, but expect a large refund from California.
Last year, after I completed my tax return using Turbo Tax I took it to a CPA and asked for advice, suggestions, pointing out errors. I was pleased to learn I had done a pretty good job. There were a few suggestions that helped get state income distributed more accurately between the states and probably reduced my tax in 2016. It was a pricey lesson but enabled me to feel more confident continuing to do my taxes myself.
Old 04-01-2017, 10:34 AM   #247
Give me a forum ...

Fidelity finally got their foreign source info posted on a Monday 3/27, way later than usual! We submitted our return the next day. Accepted, no problems.

They required lots of driver's license details for verification. It's getting tougher for the fakers.

We owe this time, so no refund tracking - actually we always apply any refund to next year estimated taxes if it's less than one quarter payment.
Old 04-01-2017, 11:13 AM   #248

Still getting corrected statements here. "File early, file often."
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 12:08 PM   #249
Give me a forum ...

Just paid my first ever quarterly tax for 2017 year...ugh!
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 10:19 PM   #250

I've finished my 2016. Now on the the checking phase. I should be able to mail Monday. Keep my fingers crossed.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 10:26 PM   #251
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Fidelity finally got their foreign source info posted on a Monday 3/27, way later than usual! We submitted our return the next day. Accepted, no problems.

They required lots of driver's license details for verification. It's getting tougher for the fakers.

We owe this time, so no refund tracking - actually we always apply any refund to next year estimated taxes if it's less than one quarter payment.
It is not a requirement... I filed my mom's taxes without the info since she does not have it...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 12:38 AM   #252
Moderator Emeritus

I received a form from the IRS yesterday. They need to verify my identity before they can process my return. I have to call a toll-free number on Monday and provide a bunch of information. Very strange. I can't imagine what could make them question my identity.
Old 04-02-2017, 03:38 AM   #253
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Do any of us know who we really are? Maybe the IRS will help you find yourself.
Old 04-02-2017, 05:02 AM   #254
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
I received a form from the IRS yesterday. They need to verify my identity before they can process my return. I have to call a toll-free number on Monday and provide a bunch of information. Very strange. I can't imagine what could make them question my identity.
You may have been a victim of fraud? I.e. someone filed already using your credentials?
Old 04-02-2017, 05:07 AM   #255
Give me a forum ...

Uh oh!

Or perhaps the refund amount is a big one, and they want to be sure.

I did my tax return early, then sat on it. I owe money, so if someone steals my identity, will he pay the tax for me?

PS. This thread reminds me to dust off my tax return, get money transferred into my checking in preparation for payment. Got only 2 weeks left. Darn!

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 06:55 AM   #256
Give me a forum ...

Completed #2 - in-laws tax submittal. It is going to them for signature this morning, and will get mailed tomorrow.

Two LTC forms, so turbotax won't efile.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 12:38 PM   #257

So I have a question for anyone here. How to file extension for one of my daughters. In the past, I've filed extension but I do know roughly how much I owe and mailed in the money. In my kid's case, her CPA for her corporation is late, she changed CPA from last year, so I don't have a clue as to what amount to pay in, she is still waiting for her employee's statement. She paid estimated tax every year, never owed anything. Do I just file the form with zero amount and send it in.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 02:01 PM   #258
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Do any of us know who we really are? Maybe the IRS will help you find yourself.
It is going to take a lot more than the IRS to find that out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
You may have been a victim of fraud? I.e. someone filed already using your credentials?
Must be. The IRS accepted my return quickly after I filed 3 weeks ago, so I thought that I was in the clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Uh oh!

Or perhaps the refund amount is a big one, and they want to be sure.
No big refund this year. Same mailing address, no change in marital/employment situation, 1099s from the same institutions as last year, etc... that's why I find it strange to get flagged all of a sudden.
Old 04-02-2017, 02:05 PM   #259
Moderator Emeritus

Are you sure it's the IRS that you will be calling tomorrow? I hope it's not some scammer trying to get your personal information via the phone call.

P.S. - - I got my IRS refund 6-7 days after I e-filed with TurboTax, back in early February (post #155).

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 02:13 PM   #260
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Are you sure it's the IRS that you will be calling tomorrow? I hope it's not some scammer trying to get your personal information via the phone call.

P.S. - - I got my IRS refund 6-7 days after I filed, back in early February (post #155).
I thought about that and checked the IRS website. The phone number on the form also appears on the website. The IRS says that this phone number is to be used only for taxpayer identity verification. So it looks legitimate.