Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-10-2017, 07:25 PM   #281
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I'm cranking! Downloaded TT today, and found my folder with all the paperwork. Nothing can stop me now!
Maybe she can't stop you, but, perhaps slow you down?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2017, 08:03 PM   #282
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I'm cranking! Downloaded TT today, and found my folder with all the paperwork. Nothing can stop me now!
Great, you are on a roll! You'll feel so good when you don't have taxes hanging over your head any more (this year, anyway). Hope you don't have to pay too much.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:35 PM   #283
Recycles dryer sheets

my personal experience is that paying my quarterly estimated taxes, that I exceeded total taxes paid in prior year, did not stop TT from saying I owed penalty for underpayment. i see a number of posters that think that will save you, i don't think its true. And it was true my income was much higher than the year before.
Anyone else with similar experience getting underpayment penalty?
perrytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:56 PM   #284
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, if you go too low you have to pay the penalty.

Been there and done that. The gov wants their dough when you make it, not after the fact.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 10:02 PM   #285

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrytime View Post
my personal experience is that paying my quarterly estimated taxes, that I exceeded total taxes paid in prior year, did not stop TT from saying I owed penalty for underpayment. i see a number of posters that think that will save you, i don't think its true. And it was true my income was much higher than the year before.
If your income is over $150K, then you need to pay 110% of the prior year's taxes to avoid the penalty. Otherwise, it's definitely the smaller of 100% of the prior year or 90% of the current year. That's straight out of the IRS instructions for form 2210, so if TTax is doing something else, that's a bug.
cathy63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 10:55 PM   #286
Recycles dryer sheets

Filed my taxes with Turbo on March 26, got refund March 31.
Filed Mother's taxes today, still awaiting Son's W-2s to file his.

Has anyone used Credit Karma for their taxes? Seem to see a lot of advertisements for them & H&R Block
evilanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 05:03 AM   #287
Give me a forum ...

One thing about owing the IRS I kinda like is that I know they received my return when I see the cleared check posted to my account a few days later. Both my federal and state returns had my checks posted that way a few weeks ago. My LF owed the Feds and her check I mailed out for her with her return last month got posted a few days later.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 07:32 AM   #288
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrytime View Post
Hmmm - if you made enough the prior year, you have to pay 110% of the prior year's taxes in equal quarterly estimated tax payments to reach safe harbor.

Is that the problem? Did Turbotax fill out form 2210 for you?

I have had years where the above safe harbor rule kept me from owing penalties, so it does work. And we always use Turbotax.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:47 AM   #289
Give me a forum ...

2016 Income Tax Status

My first full year in Canada for taxes and as I suspected, my tax burden is definitely higher here. I didn't expect my marginal tax rate to be over 29% since my income was quite modest, but healthcare is virtually free here and reading some of the ACA threads and understanding the related cost, paying extra taxes is not a bad trade off. Not bad at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 08:59 AM   #290
Give me a forum ...

I did my taxes a couple of months ago, saw that I owed money and a bit of penalty, no surprise here as I did none of this quarterly estimated tax thinggy, so sat on it until recently.

Last Sunday, fired up Taxact, and efiled. Somebody's computer sucked it all up, and an SMS went out to my phone saying the IRS accepted it. OK, now how about giving Uncle Sam the money I owed him?

Took several tries to pay through directpay.irs.gov. The Web site must be choking from all the money flowing in. I was able to use it just now to send money in.

OK, until next year...

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 10:09 AM   #291

Quote:
What's the rush Harley? You still have a full week from today

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 10:24 AM   #292
Recycles dryer sheets

Filed mine last night. Now I can relax the Easter weekend.
HillCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 10:26 AM   #293

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Hehe, that's why I always wait till the end of March -
... says one procrastinator to another....
euro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 10:41 AM   #294
Give me a forum ...

It's not that, in fact I diligently enter the info in TT as it arrives. Then I write TT and the date on the form and put it in the tax file. Some forms don't arrive until late March and the one that arrive early usually have "don't file early, corrected forms may be issued" warnings on them.

Just trying to avoid sending amended returns. Not worried about fraud either. The hackers would need my SSN, PIN, DL number and the issue and expiration dates.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 01:44 PM   #295
Give me a forum ...

We usually get HR Block basic Federal program and use the state's free i file program. The family has four returns to file and I got the Block deluxe program for <$20 from Amazon thanks to a tip on this forum. I forgot that my DD has to file a second state return in VA since she moved mid year. The individual state return was $39 but it would not download on my antiquated laptop running Vista. The purchase confirmation email was missing any explicit instructions on how to actually obtain the file. Big kudos to HR Block for answering the phone immediately and staying on the line while they walked us through the download and install. Being unfamiliar with how VA does things it took awhile to figure out how to avoid being double taxed. The software was vague about some details but we eventually figured out how to keep her from getting double taxed.
Old 04-15-2017, 01:51 PM   #296
Gone but not forgotten

Half hour with Tax Act Fed and State.. I don't think I even have to file any longer, but do so just in case. Guess I must be poor.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 02:26 PM   #297
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm checking in with all of the tax procrastinators. I just finished mine up today.

Still using the Old School process. I started to use Turbo Tax a few years back. I think it was a free download from Vanguard. Decided I didn't want to answer questions for every possible income or tax deduction, when 90% of them do not pertain to me. (= I'm stubborn, and don't want to change.)

Some observations:
- They seem to make it harder each year to determine who to make the check out to, and where to send the returns hardcopy.
- I started maximizing our HSA contributions this year, and it made a big difference.

Feels good to be done. Might have a nice cold beer as a reward this evening.

Take care,

JP
JP.mpls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 04:18 PM   #298
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
We ran the #'s in mid Feb when all the info was in. Used Turbotax Deluxe free from Fidelity. Owed $ so sat on it for a month. Filed in late March because we had a trip in early April and didn't want to forget, plus you get squat on cash these days.
What? No identity theft? You were lucky.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 04:22 PM   #299
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP.mpls View Post
I'm checking in with all of the tax procrastinators. I just finished mine up today.

Still using the Old School process. I started to use Turbo Tax a few years back. I think it was a free download from Vanguard. Decided I didn't want to answer questions for every possible income or tax deduction, when 90% of them do not pertain to me. (= I'm stubborn, and don't want to change.)

Some observations:
- They seem to make it harder each year to determine who to make the check out to, and where to send the returns hardcopy.
- I started maximizing our HSA contributions this year, and it made a big difference.

Take care,

JP
Over 90% of submissions are e filed.

Over 80% of returns get refunds.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 06:14 AM   #300
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP.mpls View Post

Some observations:

Take care,

JP
Isn't the check always made out to United States Treasury?

Now where to mail it may be changing.