Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-02-2017, 01:30 PM   #101
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Ok if you say so. I would still think a "finance" guy might want to do his own taxes, but whatever.
..jeez get over it. The guy doesn't want to do his own taxes
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2017, 01:30 PM   #102
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I'm never in a hurry, I wait until April even if I have a refund coming. I don't want any surprises in the way of "corrected forms"

My broker stuff doesn't even arrive until March and even then they say "don't file early, corrected forms may be issued"

With interest rates less than 1%, a couple of months worth don't even pay for a nice supper.
Got the email today letting me know that they're sending out a corrected 1098 for my mortgage in 4 days, so I'll have the corrected form before I even get my consolidated 1099 from TD Ameritrade so that I can file.

I'm not really concerned about fraudulent returns being filed either as the latest studies shown that only about 0.1% of returns are fraudulent. To me that means that the odds of having a problem by waiting a few weeks to file don't seem high enough to risk having to to do amended returns every time I estimate something wrong or get a corrected form.
exnavynuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 01:31 PM   #103

Taxes are done. E-filed the federal and printed the state forms all bundled up and will be mailed tomorrow when we're out.

New this year at least for the federal return was TT asked for driver's license numbers and issue and expiration dates for each driver's license. I don't remember having to do that last year. I suppose it's a check for forged returns, or at least will be next year.
Old 02-02-2017, 01:50 PM   #104
Recycles dryer sheets

Last year I wanted to file on Feb 1st since I had records from our broker transactions but DW insisted on waiting till late Feb when official broker tax statement was available. I also pointed out on possible frauds yet waited till the statement. There was a difference between my records and the stement, my mistake. I was glad we did not file prematurely.
VFK57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 01:55 PM   #105

Do I need to wait for a 1095 before I file?
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 04:38 PM   #106
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Back in the early 2000s when I was filing two state income tax forms, I would file the non-resident one first and wait a few weeks until filing the home state one. I did this in case there was a problem with the non-resident one which was linked to the home state one due to the resident credit. I didn't want to be in a situation where a mistake on the non-resident one would cause me to file an amended form on the home state one because I filed the resident one too soon.

Thankfully, in the 8 years I filed two state returns, that never happened.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 04:42 PM   #107
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
Do I need to wait for a 1095 before I file?
The 1095 provides data I need to determine the ACA subsidy, data I estimated beforehand but didn't know for sure until I received it. I don't need it to prepare my state income tax form, though.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 05:51 PM   #108
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
As I've mentioned previously, I file in early February because I don't want any surprises in the way of "identity theft." The longer you wait to file the more opportunity some slimeball will fake a return for a big refund. Filing an occasional amended return is a minor inconvenience compared to dealing with stolen identity.
This year they asked for further proof of my identity . I had the option of adding in my driver,s license .You did not have to do this but it was recommended. My return was sent last week and my refund is scheduled to be deposited tomorrow.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 06:24 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I'm never in a hurry, I wait until April even if I have a refund coming. I don't want any surprises in the way of "corrected forms"

My broker stuff doesn't even arrive until March and even then they say "don't file early, corrected forms may be issued"

With interest rates less than 1%, a couple of months worth don't even pay for a nice supper.
You live in California right? I always file early if I'm expecting a refund after the "I O U's" the state issued a while back for refunds... I had already received my (cashable) refund when they switched to IOUs. Since it looks like I'm due about $1k from Cali... I'll be filing as soon as I have my last 1099... so in a few weeks.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:53 PM   #110
Give me a forum ...

I trust the State of California, I buy their paper.
Old 02-02-2017, 11:13 PM   #111
Give me a forum ...

The IRS continues to improve security that should reduce the number of fraudulent returns filed, meaning fewer victims. https://www.irs.gov/uac/as-holidays-...delays-in-2017

Quote:
The IRS and its partners saw a marked improvement in the battle against identity theft in 2016. This is highlighted by the number of new people reporting stolen identities on federal tax returns falling by more than 50 percent, with nearly 275,000 fewer victims compared to a year ago.

"These increased security screenings are invisible to most taxpayers," Koskinen said. "But we want people to be aware we are taking additional steps to protect taxpayers from identity theft, and that sometimes means the real taxpayers face a slight delay in their refunds.”
More details here: https://www.irs.gov/uac/newsroom/irs...2016-successes
Old 02-03-2017, 12:06 AM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
New this year at least for the federal return was TT asked for driver's license numbers and issue and expiration dates for each driver's license. I don't remember having to do that last year. I suppose it's a check for forged returns, or at least will be next year.
Same with Creditkarma. How should I know when I was issued my driver license? There's an expiration date; my birthday plus some years, but not an issue date. I just backed up the expiration date 4 years and called it close enough.
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 11:36 AM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Status change. The graphic is back, and it's hit step 2 of 3 (approved).

By the way, I wouldn't even be checking so often on this if it weren't for starting this thread. But I figured I'd continue to document the 'extreme' example of e-filing on the first possible day.

By the way, I'm going to need to do a 1040-X because the SLCSP came in different enough to generate an IRS bill if I don't fix the problem first. I knew that value was the one with the most possibility for being wrong, since I got it from the KFF calculator. I spent some time trying to get the exact number, but wasn't able to get it. This year, while shopping on the ACA site, I took a screen shot of the prices of the silver plans.
I also recorded our SLCSP from last year and when I got the 2016 1095-A the amount is just a little lower than my notes say it should be. So I checked on the healthcare.gov website. They have a tool for finding your SLCSP - https://www.healthcare.gov/tax-tool/

The tool showed that the SLCSP amount is the same as my 1095-A, not what I noted. I think it's incorrect and it's costing us about $100 in missed subsidy. But I'm going to file with the 1095-A number because I don't think I'd get anywhere in dealing with HC.gov to get it corrected.

Last year when I filed taxes, we never got a 1095-A for 2015. I called in Feb 2016 and was told that we didn't have ACA insurance in 2015, that it was issued and then cancelled on 1-1-15. This was absolutely wrong and after many phonecalls, escalations and yada, yada we were issued the correct 1095-A in mid May, 2016. I had gone ahead and filed using the info that I knew would eventually be on our forms. The return was accepted but then our refund was held up because the IRS had no insurance info on us. Finally, I received a letter from the IRS asking for our 1095-A and by that time I had the forms and could fulfill the requirement. I mailed in the form and we got our refund.
Old 02-03-2017, 12:08 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
I also recorded our SLCSP from last year and when I got the 2016 1095-A the amount is just a little lower than my notes say it should be. So I checked on the healthcare.gov website. They have a tool for finding your SLCSP - https://www.healthcare.gov/tax-tool/
I checked that out just now and I see that it works. But, if I'm recalling correctly, I tried to use that late last year but the option for 2016 wasn't available at that time.

With respect to the SLCSP you saw when shopping for a plan versus what they say it is now, yeah, not worth fighting that battle.
sengsational is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 12:18 PM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
I checked that out just now and I see that it works. But, if I'm recalling correctly, I tried to use that late last year but the option for 2016 wasn't available at that time.

With respect to the SLCSP you saw when shopping for a plan versus what they say it is now, yeah, not worth fighting that battle.
For 2016 our SLCSP was the same plan as the lowest cost one, except for an additional amount (I think it was $77/mo) for dental and vision. Since those components don't count our subsidy was based on the lowest silver cost. Personally, I think they should have benchmarked the 3rd lowest cost silver plan since the SLCSP sort of didn't count! But they are a big government machine and I'm just a consumer in Ohio. I think it probably affected my whole region and I may have been the only one who noticed.
Old 02-03-2017, 01:29 PM   #116
Dryer sheet aficionado

DW and I filed a week ago today using TurboTax and our refund was in our bank account today! By far the fastest we've gotten it- maybe we beat the "rush"...
Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 01:34 PM   #117
Full time employment: Posting here.

Fidelity 1099s won't be available until the middle of February and I expect the K-1 data won't be available to import from the clearing hours until March so I'm in no hurry.

In the past I tried to work on the return as I received the data but decided that led to more confusion than it was worth.
misanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 06:05 PM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro33 View Post
Same with Creditkarma. How should I know when I was issued my driver license? There's an expiration date; my birthday plus some years, but not an issue date. I just backed up the expiration date 4 years and called it close enough.
With TT there was a drop-down option for "I don't know the issue date" and a couple of other options. In WV the issue date is shown on the license.
Old 02-03-2017, 07:18 PM   #119
Give me a forum ...

In TX the issue date is shown on the license.
Old 02-03-2017, 07:23 PM   #120
Give me a forum ...

CA also.

I remember last time I efiled with TT I entered my driver license number.

Cool, I hate fraudsters.