Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-04-2017, 10:28 AM   #121
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by misanman View Post
Fidelity 1099s won't be available until the middle of February
My 1099s are available now.
GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2017, 11:02 AM   #122
Recycles dryer sheets

e-filed.....FYI, ran into issue when submitting for transmission. Nag popped up telling me there were updates that needed to be applied. Run auto update and then do the e-file. Going to online update, TT told be I was 'current'. So, endless loop.

Got around it my going to TT and downloading updates to manually apply them. Had to restart machine (? TT did it) and the e-file worked fine. Just in case you folks run into the same situation.
Old 02-04-2017, 11:04 AM   #123
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My Fidelity 1099s just came out last night. I own only a few Fidelity mutual funds. My friend's 1099s won't be available for a few weeks. He has a more diverse set of investments with them including individual stocks and bonds, Fidelity mutual funds, and non-Fidelity mutual funds (from his large 2012 inheritance). I can see why Fidelity would need more time to get his done than mine.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 11:07 AM   #124
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the tip, FireBug.

I have all the necessary paperwork, and my copy of TT, and now I am just waiting for a time that feels right, when I feel sharp and won't be interrupted. The nice thing about being retired (and also about the stupidly low interest rates these days), is that it doesn't really matter to me if I get it done this weekend or next.
Old 02-04-2017, 03:00 PM   #125
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Just checked again and Fidelity tells me to check back on February 18th.
misanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 03:12 PM   #126
Give me a forum ...

I think Fidelity gives you a personalized estimate based on the funds or other investments that you own in your brokerage account.
Old 02-04-2017, 06:47 PM   #127
Give me a forum ...

Started preparing my taxes last night and continued more this afternoon. Definitely not a one sitting deal for me. I plan on first, do my best at answering the TT questions that I think is right, second, verify that I input all the numbers correctly, third do the e-filing part. First year on the ACA for me, so took some reading and re-reading about how to handle insurance payment premiums in TT.
Old 02-04-2017, 07:12 PM   #128
Give me a forum ...

I wait for the stuff to come in the mail and enter the info statement by statement. After Ive got them all I wait some more and do my double checking. Then early April, I'll e-file them.
Old 02-04-2017, 07:55 PM   #129

I e-filed via the free gov't "FreeFileForms" option, and my state has a similar deal.

The whole thing took about 4 hours, counting the time puttering around at other chores in between, and doing a 2017 look-ahead which involved basically doing the whole thing over again after taking out my half-year salary from 2016 and substituting values for my pension.

It'll be quicker next year, this year was a combination of w*rk and retirement.

Admittedly, without any investments outside my 401k, or any business stuff any more, it's a relatively simple return.

I think if I had to gather all my paperwork and computer records up, drive to an accountant's office for an appointment, and drive home, it would easily take more time and effort than just doing it myself.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 08:18 PM   #130

1099R is in, 1099-composite from brokerages are still in the either.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 09:27 PM   #131
Moderator Emeritus

Federal is done and filed!

Turbotax says that Louisiana tax forms that I need are not yet ready, but they will send me an e-mail when I can e-file for Louisiana. I could do it on the state website for free, if they have the forms there, so I might do that. The only reason I use Turbotax for state is that it is more fun and that makes doing taxes less of a drag.

My taxes came out much, much lower than in previous years for a variety of reasons. I am getting a big refund that I did not expect. Also, taking the refund into account I spent less last year than the year before. I don't know why this matters to me but it does.
Old 02-05-2017, 10:04 AM   #132

For the record, the US Gov't FreeFileForms submission also asked for driver's license information this year. So it's not just the software companies. Maybe it's an IRS rule.

Keeping others from defrauding me and messing up my taxes is a good thing, and I'm glad they do it. I do wonder about the folks who don't have a license.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 10:06 AM   #133
Recycles dryer sheets

Done, Filed, and refunds received in 8 days.
DFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 10:20 AM   #134
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFA View Post
Done, Filed, and refunds received in 8 days.
That's fast! I can't wait to see that big IRS refund showing up in my checking account.

I think that in another 5 days I'll be able to e-file my Louisiana return too since Louisiana should have the forms ready by then (according to Intuit).
Old 02-05-2017, 10:55 AM   #135
Give me a forum ...

I decided to try out TurboTax as a check on my DIY tax preparation. It was free from Fidelity. It was terrible for my federal forms. Nothing matched until I entered some fake numbers to make my own stuff match. The insurance premiums on Schedule A were all messed up. It was double-counting them, but even after an hour trying to figure that out I still couldn't get TT to match my numbers. In the 1095-A form, it wouldn't accept the annual figures so I had to ender the 3 columns of monthly ones, a PITA.

I'll stay with doing my own taxes. TT is going into the recycle bin.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 11:07 AM   #136
Give me a forum ...

I e-filed on 1/27 and got my refund on 2/3. I also do not like to wait too long to file due to all the fraudsters.
Old 02-07-2017, 03:58 PM   #137
Give me a forum ...

I'm sitting pretty. Have done everything but e-filed (just in case in get any 1099 corrections in about the next month before I file). The rest is checked and verified in TT.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:52 PM   #138
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Just e-filed my federal return. I'm going to blow off filing a state return this year.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 06:00 PM   #139
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Just e-filed my federal return. I'm going to blow off filing a state return this year.
Ha ha!

Me too!
Old 02-09-2017, 06:05 PM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTFan View Post

Me too. Fidelity sent me an e-mail link weeks ago to access them PDF files.
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote