Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-12-2017, 08:26 AM   #161
Full time employment: Posting here.

I filed on the 30th of January and saw my refund on the 4th of Februay direct deposited into our account.

I didn't have my Fidelity statements but was able to piece together the total when looking at the Tax section of 2016. Only dividends and a couple of stock sales.

I also filed timely due to the recent news articles regarding scams.

Michael
IMATERP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2017, 09:50 AM   #162
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I filed Friday. I decided to use H&R block's software this year (been using TT for years) to save some money. Turned out I didn't save much money (didn't take into account the cost of efiling state) and really didn't care for the software. I'll be going back to TT next year I think.
exnavynuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 07:31 PM   #163
Recycles dryer sheets

I filed today. Expecting a large refund - which I guess is better than a large payment due. I generally do a better job in projecting taxes. Hope the refund comes quickly
whatnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 06:13 PM   #164
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just received the tax stuff from the broker today. 27 pages long.

I know what I'll be doing tomorrow.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 06:20 PM   #165

I called the company today, and was told it would be available on line by the February 28th or sooner. I am getting a large refund this year (Yes, I know it is MY money)
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 06:26 PM   #166
Administrator

Mailed my returns last week. Owed $270 to the state. Due a refund of $230 from the feds. It is the closest to even that I've come in the last 35 years or so.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:27 PM   #167
Full time employment: Posting here.

Going to get taxes done tomorrow. Expecting some $ from the ACA exchange since we paid it all up front. Fun fun. Now where to go when we get all that doe? Think a month or two down to California and over to New Mexico maybe.
kimcdougc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:32 PM   #168
Give me a forum ...

A couple of hours and the big statement went in. One more 1099 to go, not here yet.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:12 PM   #169
Give me a forum ...

Collected all the 1099s, gathered together all the rental reports, pulled together all the property sale and loan interest amounts. Divided them all up betwixt me and the gal. In December we had sent in our state and Federal quarterlies and a rude amount of $$ due to the sale (on time payments) of a little rental house. Pulled down the savings accounts a fair amount. Sunday we sent all the paperwork to our tax person and i expect a thick return with nasty new amounts due and quarterlies for the coming year. We will both be paying more for medicare part D and drug coverage.

In the whole scheme of things, an absurd problem to complain about.
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:45 PM   #170
Give me a forum ...

Yeah Baby!

If you have to pay lottsa tax it's because you made lottsa dough.

That's why I love to pay taxes -
Old 02-23-2017, 10:34 AM   #171

Pushed the button to e-file our federal return today. I'll finish up our state(s) and mail them in late March.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 03:02 PM   #172

I e-filed with FreeTaxUSA.com on Feb 12th. The refund is approved and should be in our bank on Feb. 27th according to "Where's My Refund" at irs.gov

I filed our state tax at the state website (free vs $12.95 at freetaxusa) and the refund was deposited today.

Much better than last year when we had issues with missing 1095-A forms.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:25 PM   #173

I efiled on Feb 19, income tax refund was deposited in my checking account today. So, 11 days to process, approve and send the money.

- Rita
Old 03-01-2017, 02:06 PM   #174
Recycles dryer sheets

Drat. Thought I had pretty much optimized our estimated tax payments throughout last year, which I had, until I got all the way through and got the dreaded AMT hit (first time it ever happened). Hopefully won't be a recurring problem; there were a few one-time income boosts that likely triggered it.
madsquopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 02:22 PM   #175
Give me a forum ...

Wel, we've done all our taxes, but we're still waiting for foreign income info from a Fidelity mutual fund. It's usually 100%, and we entered that, but we've got to know for sure.
Old 03-01-2017, 02:27 PM   #176
Moderator Emeritus

I am done with inputing all the data into Turbotax and expect to file by the end of the week after double checking everything. We will get about $2.5K back from the Feds (in the form of paper I-bonds), and about $2.5K back from the state (which will help pay for our upcoming home renovation).

No K-1s this year, just a few forms dowloaded from Vanguard and a couple of 1099-INTs. Easy. Simplifying our finances really paid off (I used to spend soooo much time preparing our return...).
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 02:29 PM   #177

I owed a bit to the Feds, so that will be paid in due course.
But I was due a refund from the state, due to my bad estimating. They were really quick -- the refund was in my checking account seven calendar days after I e-filed.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 02:39 PM   #178

Federal was e-filed last week. Today I finished the state returns for PA and OR. We only owed $30 to OR so that check has been written and will be mailed tomorrow. We owe about $800 to PA, so will wait a month to send that.

There is some question as to whether we even need to file in OR. DH is part of an LLC and we've filed there as non-residents for years. This year, since I'm doing the taxes instead of our paid preparer, I started by reading the non-resident instructions. The very first page, under "who must file", indicates that we don't have to file since the OR income is less than the standard deduction for MFJ. One would think that would mean our income would reduce to zero when I filled out the form, but that's not what happens.

I called the OR Dept of Revenue to clarify/ point out the disconnect between the first page of instructions and the subsequent instructions. I stumped the first person I talked to so I had to wait for a call back. The woman who returned my call agreed that the instructions are inconsistent so I probably wouldn't be in trouble if we don't file. She thanked me for pointing out the issue and indicated that it should be corrected for 2017.

I wanted to not file in OR, save a screen shot of the instructions, and make OR come after us if they want money. DH opined that if we did that, the eventual hassle wouldn't be worth $30, so we filed and paid. I suppose he's right, but I wanted to stand on principle.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 06:25 PM   #179
gone traveling

Still waiting on two K-1's. But looks like I screwed up & overpaid Feds $2K. Will get back whenever.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 06:36 AM   #180
Give me a forum ...

E-filed my taxes yesterday. Accepted already. Will get about $950 from Fed, pay about $200 for state. Another tax year year bites the dust .