2016 Income Tax Status

I e-Filed on 1/5 (long story but expecting a big check) and it said it would take a few hours or up to 48 hours max to get a status back. I just checked today and saw:
The IRS accepted your federal return on FRI JAN 13, 2017 04:32:32 PM
So not bad. Better than I thought.

Is says I can check my refund status at https://www.irs.gov/refunds, which I haven't done.

Just starting to see 1099 from banks and from one pension I have. I still need to wait for the composite to come from the broker.

For those who live in Washington state, Fred Meyer stores have H&R Block Deluxe on sale for $24.99, a $10 discount to the regular price. Price is good for this week only.

-Rita

I use HRB desktop software to produce the tax returns for a multi-state partnership, and then let a local HRB tax prep pro review the returns before filing. The total cost is much lower, the quality is higher, and the overall aggravation is much lower than having a pro do the tax return. The local pro keeps offering me a part-time job doing tax returns - no thanks. 😎

I guess today is the first official day that the IRS will process returns. My e-file was accepted 10 days ago.

For those who live in Washington state, Fred Meyer stores have H&R Block Deluxe on sale for $24.99, a $10 discount to the regular price. Price is good for this week only.
I got CD in the mail for H&R Block $34.95 for the "Homeowners/Investors" version. It has a one-time use coupon code "3N7T-WJQ" to get $10 off. But the same thing can be had for $20, downloaded from Amazon. And in that case, if you get a refund, you can get a 10% bump if you take it your refund as an Amazon gift card.

I'm waiting on a couple of forms. But I started my taxes this weekend to get a better estimate of my AGI and figure out how much more I can contribute to my 2016 Roth IRA. My AGI is too high to make the full contribution.

First time I've ever had this happen....

I'm filing my Dad's Federal 1040. He died in April and I'm confident I filled out everything correctly. I submitted electronically this morning and the return was rejected by the IRS -

Prior Year AGI or PIN
The IRS is rejecting your tax return because your Prior Year AGI or PIN doesn't match the IRS records. Sign in to your account and go to the Prior Year AGI or PIN screen by following the Menu Path: Filing > Electronic Signature (Self-Select PIN).

Only one of the following items has to match the IRS records for the IRS to accept your e-filed return:

(1) Your prior year Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) from last year's tax return
    Or
(2) Your prior year PIN (the Self-Select PIN you used on last year's tax return)

If you don't have access to your prior year tax return, use the IRS Get Transcript Onlinetool to immediately view your prior year AGI. You can also call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 for your prior year AGI or prior year PIN.

After you correct or enter the information, you can e-file your tax return again at no additional charge.

I used the same software as last year so the 2015 AGI and the PIN were pre-filled. I double checked them with last years return and they are correct. So I submitted again and just got another email saying that it was rejected again for the same issue.

So, what do I do now? I'm fine with printing it out and mailing it in.

This kind of rejection does not seem like fraud, does it? Nothing indicates that this Soc Security number has already been used to file. There is no tax due and no refund coming.

I'm filing my Dad's Federal 1040. He died in April and I'm confident I filled out everything correctly. I submitted electronically this morning and the return was rejected by the IRS -

Prior Year AGI or PIN
The IRS is rejecting your tax return because your Prior Year AGI or PIN doesn't match the IRS records. Sign in to your account and go to the Prior Year AGI or PIN screen by following the Menu Path: Filing > Electronic Signature (Self-Select PIN).

Only one of the following items has to match the IRS records for the IRS to accept your e-filed return:

    Or
(2) Your prior year PIN (the Self-Select PIN you used on last year's tax return)

If you don't have access to your prior year tax return, use the IRS Get Transcript Onlinetool to immediately view your prior year AGI. You can also call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 for your prior year AGI or prior year PIN.

After you correct or enter the information, you can e-file your tax return again at no additional charge.

I used the same software as last year so the 2015 AGI and the PIN were pre-filled. I double checked them with last years return and they are correct. So I submitted again and just got another email saying that it was rejected again for the same issue.

This kind of rejection does not seem like fraud, does it? Nothing indicates that this Soc Security number has already been used to file. There is no tax due and no refund coming.

I used a PIN last year. They sent me a new one for this year. Maybe that's the issue:confused:

I used a PIN last year. They sent me a new one for this year. Maybe that's the issue:confused:
I think so. I thought I read they were sending out new pins when they thought there had been an attempt to file fraudulently. Hope the new one works for you!

- Rita

Prior Year AGI or PIN

    Or

Did you file your Dad's taxes last year? Otherwise how would you know his prior AGI and PIN?

No, this is not fraud issue - they would have told you there was another return filed already .

Filing by mail is always an option.

Did you file your Dad's taxes last year? Otherwise how would you know his prior AGI and PIN?

No, this is not fraud issue - they would have told you there was another return filed already .

Filing by mail is always an option.

Yes, I filed his taxes last year. I have the PDF as submitted and accepted last year and I also have printed copies in my files. It's the same AGI that was pre-filled in the tax software. There was a PIN there but I took it out to try to resubmit. The instructions say you only need one of those pieces of info (AGI or PIN) to get the return accepted.

Yes, I filed his taxes last year. I have the PDF as submitted and accepted last year and I also have printed copies in my files. It's the same AGI that was pre-filled in the tax software. There was a PIN there but I took it out to try to resubmit. The instructions say you only need one of those pieces of info (AGI or PIN) to get the return accepted.
OK - just checking. Then I don't know why the eFile didn't work.

There's two different types of PINs, the one that the user sets and the identity protection PIN that the IRS sets for people in certain areas (and sends out every year). Wonder if he had the latter.

Last edited:
There's two different types of PINs, the one that the user sets and the identity protection PIN that the IRS sets for people in certain areas (and sends out every year). Wonder if he had the latter.

Since she filed his taxes last year she would know this.

Update -

I thought I'd give this one last try before printing and mailing. I deleted the AGI and put the PIN back in, I had saved it in last years printed copies of his tax return.

I submitted and just got back an acceptance notice! Yay!

So thanks for all the responses. Who knows what the issue was, since I really had the correct AGI and PIN.

I'll do his state return at the free state site and then move on to our own returns Fed, state and city.

I e-Filed on 1/5 (long story but expecting a big check) and it said it would take a few hours or up to 48 hours max to get a status back. I just checked today and saw: So not bad. Better than I thought.

Is says I can check my refund status at https://www.irs.gov/refunds, which I haven't done.

I went to the IRS status page:
We have received your tax return and it is being processed.

If you filed a complete and accurate tax return, your refund should be issued within 21 days of the received date. Processing may take longer under certain circumstances.

My tax return kept getting rejected last year also. I waited until Oct. 15th to submit.
I tried entering AGI but it still kept rejecting so I mailed my return for the 1st time in years. I unfortunately did not keep a hard copy of my PIN so i couldn't reenter it.

So I am concerned about that this year and plan to file earlier. Does anyone know how to get a new PIN? Thanks -

I filed yesterday and I heard almost immediately that it was accepted .
Mine says accepted in the tax software, and it now says

Your tax return is still being processed.
A refund date will be provided when available.
on the IRS site.

That's a change from what it said before, but not a real comforting one. Before it had a 3 step diagram and I was at the first step. The second was "approved" and third was "sent" (I think). Now, there's no diagram any more.

I'm waiting on a couple of forms. But I started my taxes this weekend to get a better estimate of my AGI and figure out how much more I can contribute to my 2016 Roth IRA. My AGI is too high to make the full contribution.
Same here. I need 1099's from 3 outfits. Fidelity said it would be around 17 Feb
With what I have inputted so far, I may owe a little, so I am not in that much of a hurry

Status change. The graphic is back, and it's hit step 2 of 3 (approved).

Your tax refund is scheduled to be mailed by February 7, 2017. If you do not receive the refund by March 7, 2017, please contact us again. We are unable to take any action until then.

By the way, I wouldn't even be checking so often on this if it weren't for starting this thread. But I figured I'd continue to document the 'extreme' example of e-filing on the first possible day.

By the way, I'm going to need to do a 1040-X because the SLCSP came in different enough to generate an IRS bill if I don't fix the problem first. I knew that value was the one with the most possibility for being wrong, since I got it from the KFF calculator. I spent some time trying to get the exact number, but wasn't able to get it. This year, while shopping on the ACA site, I took a screen shot of the prices of the silver plans.

We are still waiting for one 1099 Misc and the 1099's from Vanguard, but I have everything else entered into TurboTax. Our return is quite the alphabet soup: Schedules A, B, C,D, and E with all of the supporting worksheets.

I'm feeling confident this year since so far nothing has changed significantly from last year's return, so I think we will cancel our appointment with the paid preparer.

I'm never in a hurry, I wait until April even if I have a refund coming. I don't want any surprises in the way of "corrected forms"

My broker stuff doesn't even arrive until March and even then they say "don't file early, corrected forms may be issued"

With interest rates less than 1%, a couple of months worth don't even pay for a nice supper.

I'm never in a hurry, I wait until April even if I have a refund coming. I don't want any surprises in the way of "corrected forms"

As I've mentioned previously, I file in early February because I don't want any surprises in the way of "identity theft." The longer you wait to file the more opportunity some slimeball will fake a return for a big refund. Filing an occasional amended return is a minor inconvenience compared to dealing with stolen identity. :nonono:

We'll probably file at the end of Feb. I don't expect our main brokerage 1099 to be complete until 2/27, and we'll file as soon as that is available.

I don't mind filing corrected forms if we get updates after that, but I'll wait well after April 15th to do so.

Back
Top Bottom