2016 YTD investment performance thread

I'll update my workbook at the end of the month,.... or not.

Whew! I am glad January is finally over. I am down 3% for MTD & YTD. Only my bond funds did well. Everything is down from 2% to 10%. I did ok on day trading but not enough to make a dent to the -3% stat. Goodbye January, bring on Feb.

Similar here... down 2.85% for January (excluding withdrawal for living expenses). Bonds did well and stocks were a disaster.

Down 1.77% for the month per Quicken. I guess the results show the value of having a healthy dose of bonds as part of the mix.

Presently, I am 0.01% down for the year, thanks (for nothing) to Total Stock Index dragging me down. But come start of trading Monday morning I will be solidly in the black thanks to a huge dividend dump being deposited into my account.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stock/Fixed (55/45) at end of Jan 2016: -3.1%.

Haven't yet set up 2016 analysis column, so that includes new contributions.
I don't include operating cash in that number.

-3.7% vs. -5.1% for the S&P.

Considering my 60% stock I should be down less (I have little bonds), about -3.1%, but international and some of the "keepsake" material stocks still dragged down the rest.

Taxable portfolio ( income stocks ) down -0.05%
Retirement portfolio ( Common stocks, bonds, MF ) down -1.2%

Overall performance in January down -0.7% approx.

I can't believe people here are so short-term focused.

I for one am very short term focused with my FIRE date of Feb 13. Our move to a balance of VG Wellington and Wellesley funds in mid December due to the pending Fire date really paid off for us. We are down a 1.26% in the major IRA accounts which hold these funds. My 401K in the mix (total invested) we are a down a total of 1.86% net of contributions. Mostly due to the high weighting in these two VG funds which offset the losses in the indexed funds held in the 401K. These index funds had losses of 5% net of contributions.

Bonds did OK so this makes sense since the IRA funds held 53% equities, 47% bonds. Thanks to those with the many posts on balancing into retirement with these types of funds.:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

A boy showed his parents his school report card which was full of D grades. When his parents scolded him, he replied "Why are you so short-term oriented?".

The idea of checking up your portfolio is not to trade daily, but to understand your holdings, and know why your portfolio differs from the market performance. I always examine my holdings, whether they beat or trail the market, even though I trade much less than MF managers of even funds like Wellesley or Wellington.

Last edited:
I'm sure it's negative. But I don't have the exact number.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom