2016 YTD investment performance thread

Slow day here too. My calculations show me at 7.3% for the year so far. I am around 50 stocks/40% bonds/7% alternatives & 3% cash.

One of the benchmarks I look at is the average of Wellesley and Wellington. I realize this comes somewhere close to 50% stocks and 50% bonds. As of yesterday my calculations show this to be 9.5%. I think it may be time to just take a significant portion of my portfolio and put in these 2 funds!

Bob
Quicken says 8.73%. My portfolio's AA has drifted to 53/47 from a nominal 50/50 - a ways to the rebalance point since I use a 10% rebalance band.

On Wellesley / Wellington Those 2 account for about 40% of liquid NW and I determined long ago that I would have been better off to invest everything in them and call it a day. But the "don't put all of tour eggs in one basket" admonition always stopped me.

In W/W case the one basket would be that they are both actively managed by the same firm with the attendant possible "group think" and that they select a fairly small subset of available investments (large cap dividend paying stocks and corporate bonds). These have worked beautifully in the past who knows going forward..

Our return is about 8.37% - 50.35% equity, the rest in fixed income and cash.

Personal Capital shows 'Your Index' as 10.03% YTD. I just converted a bunch of my old 401Ks to Stable Value funds, making up about 60% of my portfolio. I'll be moving/consolidating them all into a Vanguard rollover IRA in the coming days and then DCAing it all back into a US equity index fund, probably VTSAX since I won't need this money for probably 25-30 years.

[…]
Better than my conservative retirement planning assumption of 6.2%. I'm guessing that it will be within the range of similar 60/35/5 portfolios that are my benchmarks.
In 2016 as of yesterday, my 60/40 benchmarks performances have a spread of over 4% with lowest performer at about 6.8% and highest at about 11.2%. That is quite a big spread to me. The reasons are that

1. Foreign equities (except for some emerging markets) have not done as well as US equities,

2. US value equities have done well, particular small caps,

3. There is quite a variation in the performance of bond funds. VBLTX (long-term) is up 5.7% and VBTLX (total) is up 2.2%.

So if one's personal portfolio is tilted away from foreign and towards US small-caps plus used longer duration bonds, then that was magic this year. OTOH, having the best performing foreign (emerging markets) was very helpful. Market timing could add another 2%.

Last edited:
I have a fair amount in international equities (21% of total) and all my bonds are short (2-4 years) so I'm a bit surprised that I did so well.

US equities were the star of the year (13.5%), with emerging market and high-yield bonds having a good year too (9.8% and 9.6%, respectively). International equities and bonds lagged (4.7%-5.9% range) as did Inv Grade US bonds (3.1%).

Slow day here too. My calculations show me at 7.3% for the year so far. I am around 50 stocks/40% bonds/7% alternatives & 3% cash.

One of the benchmarks I look at is the average of Wellesley and Wellington. I realize this comes somewhere close to 50% stocks and 50% bonds. As of yesterday my calculations show this to be 9.5%. I think it may be time to just take a significant portion of my portfolio and put in these 2 funds!

Bob

I am still holding to these two funds, with current 76% allocated in these two funds, our entire YTD gain with distributions is 9.41% at today's close. I questioned the heavy weighting earlier last quarter and moved to diversify a little more on the recommendation of VG and others, with more foreign and small/mid cap/and LC growth exposure. No regrets, I still think our allocation at 59/39/1/1 is a proper balance. We have about 21% foreign/79% US in the stock side.

11.57% for the year combined 401k and pension fund. Still in the accumulation phase (Hopefully, only for the next 3 years!)

4% a year for the DB pension in basic credits (hard to beat for a relatively risk free return in an overfunded pension plan).

14.6% for the 401k. My mid year was about the same due to the run up in Utilities for which I have a large percentage allocation. The second half of the year was sustained due to a good run up in S&P 500 and midcaps. This makes up for a wimpy year in 2015 for equities.

These do not factor in my contribution or company matching contributions.

For the 401K we had a small 4% stake in internationals. Now that the Schiller PE is 27, just reallocated the S&P 500 fund to have 10% in internationals and 20% in US Value stocks. Also gave midcaps a bump and put 4% in a REIT.

Happy New Year,

atom

Looks like an even 8% after rebalancing earlier this month. Starting auto monthly withdrawals this year so time to figure out the XIRR function I guess.

I use XIRR... but I also use a simpler calculation that mirrors the moneychimp calculation that has been very close to XIRR over the course of the year (generally within 5 bps).

=AVERAGE(RATE(1,withdrawals,-starting balance,ending balance,1),RATE(1,withdrawals,-starting balance,ending balance,0))

Withdrawals are a negative number. What the formula is doing is calculating rates assuming withdrawals are at the beginning of the year or at the then of the year and averaging the two.

12.1% for the year here. Would have been 10.5% without my megacorp ESPP which is up over 27% this year. Portfolio has crept up to about 83/17 from the 80/20 I have been using, so might need to shuffle a bit.

Pretty dang pleased!

Net worth (excluding house and such) is up 24.56% since December 31st 2015. That's distorted since I'm still in the accumulation phase and got some stock options too.

I was almost 100% in stocks for the first 11 months.

Not sure what the percentage change is in my main taxable account as I added and removed money multiple times throughout the year but I do have 4 accounts that I haven't touched this year and this is how they grew - dividends reinvested.

Old IRA up 28.85%
Roth up 27.1%
gf's IRA up 22.11%
gf's Taxable up 12.06%

All 4 accounts were 100% stocks until the last month.

The changes since October 31st have been:

Old IRA up 11.34%
Roth up 9.14%
gf's IRA up 8.19%
gf's taxable up 7.11%

The market is closed for the year now, tomorrow being a Saturday. Still some time to spend, though, for those of us that calculate an "all-in" total. Actually, my calculations include a level, estimated spend, so I'll replace that with the "real" spend total.

About 10%, after adjusting for withdrawals. Not too bad considering 10% is sitting in cash earning an average of 1%.

80% SCHA (ETF based on Dow Small-Cap Total stock market index) - up 16.17%
20% SCHZ (ETF based on Bloomberg Barclays U.S. Aggregate Bond Index) - down 3.58%

Schwab says unrealized portfolio gain is 11.03%

Haven't posted in this thread for a few months, but November and December were quite good for the portfolio - investment portfolio gained 13.4% (using BogleheadsReturns.xls). A pleasant change from 2015's losses.

Now if only I'd stayed within budget, went a few thousand over on travel.

Happy New Year, and here's to next year being kind to everyone's portfolios!

I haven't calculated the rest of our portfolio yet but I put $5 in Game of Thrones slot machine in New Orleans and won $14. So I am up 180% YTD

Quicken says 7.74% on a 60/40 AA. Not as good as some here... better than others. I'm ok with it. It might be ***slightly*** less since the last trading day of the year isn't reflected... and it was a slightly down day.

In the Barnfellow household we are up 15.9% for the year on all investments (market growth and dividends paid).

-BB

So, all the numbers are in.

My return for 2016 is ... drum roll please... 8.9%.

At 59% stock, 36% cash, and a bitty bit of bond, I trailed Wellington which is at 11.2%.

If I held 60% of VTI (total stock) which returns 11.6% and 40% of BND (total bond) at 2.5% and never rebalanced during the year, I would have 8%. So, I am not doing too badly.

PS. Note how Wellington, even though it is only 60% in stock, matches the total stock index. Good stock picking or luck? It is the perennial question. :)

Last edited:
Just crunched the numbers. 8.59% on a 52/18/30 AA. Takes account of WR of 1.95%

My conservative baseline return rate is 6%, but this assumes a 60/30/10 AA. Hope to put more money to work soon, but not at these levels...

Mine ended up at 14.5% for the year with 99% of it in stocks for the year (I temporarily moved money in and out of my company stock fund into cash and the 2025 retirement date fund). I beat the S&P 500 by 2%. Besides company stock, my next largest holding was the S&P's 500 fund in my 401K. The above is only for my 401K. I lost a few hundred bucks in my Roth IRA due to investing in penny stocks. I learned my lesson there!

Back
Top Bottom