2016 YTD investment performance thread

4.24% YTD (through 7/1/16)

So, did you get more PRNEX (showing off my superior memory here)?

I only got a bit in quite a few years back as a lark and never traded it. Just now look, and it recovers well this year. 18% YTD.

+9.8% year to date. Currently at 78% equities / 22% fixed assets after selling off energy assets which had rebounded nicely from August of last year when I bought them. Nice to be positive again after a poor 2015 return of -2.1%.

So, did you get more PRNEX (showing off my superior memory here)?

I only got a bit in quite a few years back as a lark and never traded it. Just now look, and it recovers well this year. 18% YTD.

Wow, you do have a good memory! And yes, I did get more. We bought it for both our 2015 Roths. Unfortunately I didn't buy it at its lowest in January, but rather in Dec 2015. Even so, I did still get it at a relative discount compared to prior highs. :)

I remember because I have some of that PRNEX myself. At the time you posted about it, I thought I would not buy more and that I should wait.

Well, this is another example to show how hard market timing is. We often have to hold our nose and buy when it looks so hopeless.

PS. I did hang on the some of the mining and basic material individual stocks I had, and even bought a bit more. They did well YTD, same as PRNEX. I am holding my nose to buy some biotechs now. They are now the ones taken out to the shed and beaten up black and blue.

Last edited:
I remember because I have some of that PRNEX myself. At the time you posted about it, I thought I would not buy more and that I should wait.

Well, this is another example to show how hard market timing is. We often have to hold our nose and buy when it looks so hopeless.

Indeed! So hard to do! I would have made out even better if I had pulled the trigger in Sept 2015 when I originally posted about it...but I procrastinated for a few months, lol.

PS. I did hang on the some of the mining and basic material individual stocks I had, and even bought a bit more. They did well YTD, same as PRNEX. I am holding my nose to buy some biotechs now. They are now the ones taken out to the shed and beaten up black and blue.

That's great! I've already bought our 2016 Roths and HSA (International Discovery - PRIDX - unfortunately in early Feb right when it spiked back up before falling back down...I am nothing if not predictable, lol). We are putting all excess cash into paying off our Florida 2nd home right now. So no more cash to invest for a while here. Good luck with the biotechs!

I'll go then ..

Index trackers: +5.3%
Individual portfolio: +20.8%

Now I only have to remember to stay away in september.

Up 7.4% at the end of July, on par with S&P 500 index. I will be happy if market ends the year like this. My winner is FNMIX (+13.5%), and the loser is DODFX (+1.3%). My short term trades are still outperforming the market but not by much. Market being all time high, I have been reluctant to buy. When I don't buy, I can't sell and make money.

Last edited:
7.18% YTD using XIRR. Moneychimp calculator was 7.09%, so pretty close.

Emerging market equities and bonds have been strong albeit it not a huge part of my allocation, and investment grade bonds have been poor performers (but still positive).

4.49% YTD.... my calculation got a bit more complicated this month in that I did a big withdrawal in June for the condo we bought so I did a XIRR calculation.

However, the Investment Return Calculator: Measure your Portfolio's Performance is pretty similar at 4.43%

40% domestic stocks/20% international stocks/28% domestic bonds/7% international bonds/5% cash

Last edited:
UK Investor. Up 12.6% YTD. A big positive of the recent increases is that it pushed me over the FI line 2 weeks ago. In total my journey took me 8.7 years.

Now I just need to clean up a few loose ends for a Mediteranean FIRE while hopefully avoiding OMY. I should be FIRE'd at age 44 and am so looking forward to the next part of my journey.

7.1% as of this morning. REITs, large cap value, emerging market bonds and high yield muni bonds still the leaders in my portfolio. All the sources of higher yield. Imagine that. The next rate hike will probably take a haircut off of most of these groups.
Under performers: large cap growth, balanced funds.

YTD - End of July 2016 - three views of our investments:

1. New 401k, with 1 fund:

• Personalized Rate of Return 15.07%, RNWEX - MSCI ACWI Ex US

2. +7.68% - all investments w/new additions, so not IRR.

3. Long Range Perspective: 10 yr Views from Vanguard 7/1/2006 through 7/29/16 (IRR)

• +5.1% - all retirement accounts
  • +3.5% - SEP-IRA
  • +9.1% - Roth accounts

+10.44% thru end of July. 70-25-5 allocation. Outperformance primarily due to gold positions,although gold is only about 6% of brokerage assets, even with appreciated value.

We have additional 15% of assets not in brokerage acct held in CD's & savings earning just above nuthin.

6.75% YTD, when withdrawal is accounted for.

AA right now: 50% equities, 5% bonds, 45% cash. 1/4 of the equities in international.

YTD (+)4.63% All accounts. AA=90/10 (Stocks/Bonds)
working on changing the AA to 65/30/5 by June 2017 with addition of new money.

I think we are up about 6% to 7% like the rest of you but I look back on this year with some regret as far as the missed opportunity in the mining company bonds I owned. In Jan of this year the 12.5% coupon bonds maturing in 2019 were selling for 18.5% of par and paying two payments per year. Last month the company was purchased and part of the purchase agreement was to pay the bonds in full, 100% of par, plus accrued interest.

A $200,000 investment in Jan of this year would be today worth over $1,000,000. And it was not even terribly risky since the company had excess assets to cover the bonds in event of an eventual liquidation event (which probably would not have occurred until you had received several interest payments mostly covering your entire investment).

I can find the deals I just have a problem trusting myself.

I think we are up about 6% to 7% like the rest of you but I look back on this year with some regret as far as the missed opportunity in the mining company bonds I owned. In Jan of this year the 12.5% coupon bonds maturing in 2019 were selling for 18.5% of par and paying two payments per year. Last month the company was purchased and part of the purchase agreement was to pay the bonds in full, 100% of par, plus accrued interest.

A $200,000 investment in Jan of this year would be today worth over $1,000,000. And it was not even terribly risky since the company had excess assets to cover the bonds in event of an eventual liquidation event (which probably would not have occurred until you had received several interest payments mostly covering your entire investment).

I can find the deals I just have a problem trusting myself.

I see a post reflecting investment regret. My interpretation of your post is different. I see one who takes measured controlled risk and does not put undue risk of ones portfolio and lifestyle. Sounds like you are doing great to me!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As of Friday's close (end of July), we are up 8.7% YTD. I get the same answer using XIRR, moneychimp calculator, and using M* YTD total return for each ETF mix-weighted on current value. This latter metric allows more effective analysis than anything done at the total portfolio level.

My benchmark is a 60/40 mix of VTI/BND, which is up 7.1% YTD. Our equity side is up 9.2% vs VTI at 7.8%. This is driven primarily by some high-dividend ETFs (VYM and others) and to a lesser extent by a small emerging market position (VWO). The bond side is up 7.5% vs BND at 6.1%. This results from corporate bond ETFs LQD (investment grade) and HYG (high yield).

The 8.7% figure excludes rental real estate and cash. Cash allocation is currently 3% and earning 1% at Ally. Our rentals are currently 16% of the portfolio and generate 6% after-tax cashflow and, according to Zillow, have increased in value by 17.7% YTD.

Nice year so far. We'll see if it holds up.

8.15% YTD. Same calculation methodoogy as last month

I've discovered (thanks Brexit) that I no longer have the stomach for volatility that I had in my younger years, so portfolio mix has been adjusted to 40/55/5 S/B/C. Still, I'm happy with this return, especially compared to last year's losses.

Good news for the month is that DW has formally announced her retirement and is completing the paperwork for a late November retirement.

We're on track for leaving our sub-arctic abode for Vancouver Island in the spring!

5.4% (60/27/13 S/B/C)
I'll take it, gladly.
Emerging and small cap stocks finally have outperformed and high-yield recovered.

I only do IRR quarterly. The "all included" investable and invested [(Jan01-Jul30+YTDSpend)/Jul30] is 7.12%. We must celebrate these times because we all know that we feel the pain of losses more than the joy of the gains. This too will pass.

Back
Top Bottom