2016 YTD investment performance thread

So far this has been a better year for me - last year, while everyone was in the positive, I lost 3.68%. This year, I have had a better year - 14.89% ( to date)

My portfolio is 66% fix income and 34% percent stocks. I have got out of all mutual funds for the last 8 months.(too risky) Individual stocks have done better for me the last 10 months (a dozen or more stocks) Due to this strange market, I have everything on a very short leash.

Schwab is reporting my 80/20 as 4.58% for the year (unrealized gains). Seems to match what I'm reading from others here.

Here's what Personal Capital is reporting as of this morning:

You Index™
297-DAY (YTD)
6.79%
--vs--
S&P 500
297-DAY
4.76%

I also just started using openfolio.com which is a pretty neat tool as I'm finding out. Here's what its reporting for me:

My portfolio
6.67%
--vs--
S&P 500
6.57%

My portfolio is 90/10 (if I consider 10% REIT as stocks, otherwise 80/20).

Last edited:
I'm just a lowly boglehead so given that S&P500 is up +4.76% YTD, how are you guys beating it by a landslide with your 7-12% ytd returns? :confused:
I just have it spread across numerous TSP funds including large cap, small cap, international, a 2040 target fund, a 2050 target fund, and a very small portion in a bond fund.

Despite the recent market turmoil, my rate of return is around 6.8% so far this year. Rise in net worth is around 7.7%. It would be more, but I paid down a bit extra on the mortgage. If I hadn't done that, it would be around 8.5%.

Good job! My market timing (short term trade) has returned "only" 10% YTD, still outperforming the market.

My total return YTD is 9.02% thanks to FNMIX (17.25%) & my short term trades. A simple majority of my funds have outperformed the S&P 500, too.

Doing better than I. My short term trades netted a bit, only beating the .INX by about 1% as of today.

A simple calculation of what I've gained gives me 7.5%. This is including what I've purchased in stocks throughout the YTD into the initial sum. If I were to do it more piecemeal I'd get something more accurate, probably higher. Since 7.5% is at least 5% higher than I'm getting from my CDs, I'm happy enough to leave it as a rough estimate.

Data source: Morningstar

Most of our $ is in Wellesley Income, up 7.7% ytd. Interestingly Wellington is up about 7.04% with the inverse allocation of stocks/bonds.

Really liking OpenFolio for reporting and comparisons, here's my portfolio:

YTD: 6.5%
The 'since purchase' data isn't correct, they probably don't know my historical cost-basis data.

BTW, feel free if anyone has any recommendations for changing things in my portfolio (AA 80/20 to 90/10, time horizon approx 9yrs to FI at age 50 but negotiable). I only add new $ to the S&P index and the three admiral shares (VIMAX, VTSAX, VTIAX) in my brokerage.

2efq4xy.jpg

Last edited:
YTD up 9.18% and that is with cash holdings at about 10% of total portfolio.

Much of this is undoubtedly based on the fact that I hold about 22% of my total portfolio in oil/MLP's. This has bumped up the total return considerably.

Last edited:
7.51% YTD
32% equities
7% fixed income
1% cash
60% alternative (hedged futures funds, REITs)

Up 8.2%. FNMIX still tops the list with 16% gain followed by my short-term trades at 12%. A simple majority of my mutual funds are outperforming the market. Two more months left until the end of 2016. I will be happy if I can finish the year with 8% return.

6.7% on a 60% Equities / 40% Cash and Fixed Income split. Only about 15% non-US equities

My personal Schwab Intelligent Portfolio is up 7.5% YTD.

Vanguard Total Market is up about 8.1%.

The Intelligent Portfolio is my test of these new fangled robo-advisors. I have a very small amount in the IP. The Schwab portfolio is not all stocks all the time. It contains a cash reserve and some bonds. Overall, it seems competitive.

My personal Schwab Intelligent Portfolio is up 7.5% YTD.

Vanguard Total Market is up about 8.1%...

The 8.1% YTD seems high. So, I looked on Morningstar, and it said that a $10K invested in VTSAX (Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Admiral Shares) on 12/31/2015 becomes $10,484 today, 11/01/2016. That's 4.84%.

Did I look up the right one?

By the way, Vanguard S&P 500 (VFINX) is up 4.76% YTD.

XIRR 5.71%

AA now 55/45/0 as I have cashed in all our I-Bonds(cash) and a short term bond fund to buy a house.

I start receiving checks from a private pension in February and DW will start receiving her SS in November so no need to hold as many bonds as we have held since ER'ing in 2010. I plan to move to an AA of 60/40.

You made me look. The S&P Canadian Stock Index TSX is up 12.91% YTD. I think that is without dividend.

I do not follow Canada stock market, but noticed something interesting with the statistics. That is out of 247 stocks in that index, only 75 stocks are up YTD, while a majority of 168 is down (4 are flat?). Source: Bloomberg.

That means a bifurcation, and the stocks that are up go up a lot to carry the rest. I wonder what segments are doing so well.

You made me look. The S&P Canadian Stock Index TSX is up 12.91% YTD. I think that is without dividend.

I do not follow Canada stock market, but noticed something interesting with the statistics. That is out of 247 stocks in that index, only 75 stocks are up YTD, while a majority of 168 is down (4 are flat?). Source: Bloomberg.

That means a bifurcation, and the stocks that are up go up a lot to carry the rest. I wonder what segments are doing so well.

I have about 12 names. Banks, telcos, pipes, mostly. Some utilities, Reits, I have outperformed the TSX by a wide margin (3-4% per year) for almost 20 years. Not as diversified as most would like but at this point I'm so far ahead not too worried. YTD for me pipes are up the most. Last year my total return was -1% so a bit of a rebound. The TSX is heavily weighted in commodity/resource stocks which have rebounded this year.

Looks like the TSX total return index is up about 13.7% YTD. I'm actually at 17.8% so looks like I'm ouperforming by about 4%.

Last edited:
As of 11/01/16: Current 401k Personalized Rate of Return YTD 10.26%. That is all world EM fund RNWEX.

6.67% YTD is reported by M* for RNWEX. So there is a nice timing effect from bi-monthly contributions.

The 8.1% YTD seems high. So, I looked on Morningstar, and it said that a $10K invested in VTSAX (Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Admiral Shares) on 12/31/2015 becomes $10,484 today, 11/01/2016. That's 4.84%.

Did I look up the right one?

By the way, Vanguard S&P 500 (VFINX) is up 4.76% YTD.

I'm not sure where I got that number from. But, it appears to be an error. Thanks for the heads-up.

Not a good month for me, dropped back to a 6.6% ytd. These next few days/weeks will be interesting.

Back
Top Bottom