2016 YTD investment performance thread

7.4% as of this morning - 25% Canada, 25% USA, 25% developed international, 25% short term bond etf and GIC ladders.

8.3% return as of last night's market close. I skimmed off a little bit yesterday, moving it into cash, and might use it to pay down the mortgage a bit.

It's been a wild melt-up this week, so I had to check. Up 8.4% YTD on the retirement portfolio.

Woo Hoo. Our portfolio is up 11.27% YTD not including Cash/IBonds/CD's and up 10.00% including Cash/IBonds/CD's.

I have a question though. Are you all pro-rating your return when you say year to Date? If I don't pro-rate the XIRR is even higher, despite less than 3 weeks remaining in the year. I use the PRR formula to annualize my XIRR formula.

AA is 55/35/10.

Woo Hoo. Our portfolio is up 11.27% YTD not including Cash/IBonds/CD's and up 10.00% including Cash/IBonds/CD's.

I have a question though. Are you all pro-rating your return when you say year to Date? If I don't pro-rate the XIRR is even higher, despite less than 3 weeks remaining in the year. I use the PRR formula to annualize my XIRR formula.

AA is 55/35/10.
Not all of us are using XIRR. Year-to-date is the value now versus where I started as I don't have any additions or subtractions to deal with.

I guess if you use the XIRR it has to be pro-rated, otherwise you are posting the annualized result which is a guess as to where you might be at the end of the year based on the numbers so far.

Just eyeballing it, we are up ~10%.

I think this is the first year since I've been investing that I've seen a significant gain from holding value/small stocks. Some of my funds are up 20-25% vs 10% for S&P500

Not all of us are using XIRR. Year-to-date is the value now versus where I started as I don't have any additions or subtractions to deal with.

I guess if you use the XIRR it has to be pro-rated, otherwise you are posting the annualized result which is a guess as to where you might be at the end of the year based on the numbers so far.
If you make the last date in XIRR() 12/31/2016, then it is a YTD calculation and not pro-rated.

So in Quicken and/or MS Money use the date range from 1/1/2016 to 12/31/2016 and you will get a legit answer.

About 10% ytd. 65/35 and 50/50 Domestic/International. International finally caught up this week. Will be reducing risk by 5% so 60/40 by end of this year.

Just eyeballing it, we are up ~10%.

I think this is the first year since I've been investing that I've seen a significant gain from holding value/small stocks. Some of my funds are up 20-25% vs 10% for S&P500

As of today, Vanguard S&P index VFINX is up 12.7% YTD.

I am up 9.91% YTD. I blame the difference on low-yielding cash, biotech, and EM.

How are your EM equities allocated? Vanguards VWO is at 14.6% YTD(FTSE based index)

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Update through December - as previously discuss, this has been a better year for me - last year, while everyone was in the positive, I lost 3.68%. To date positive 16.93%

Currently, my portfolio is 70% fix income and 30% percent stocks. I have got out of all mutual funds for this year, (too risky) Individual stocks have done better for me the last few months (a 1/2 dozen stocks). Due to this strange market that I do not understand, I have everything on a very short leash.
http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/reputation.php?p=1793510

It's been a wild melt-up this week, so I had to check. Up 8.4% YTD on the retirement portfolio.

Same here, the run caused me to be curious and it is easy to find anytime I update my Asset Allocation check workbook. 9.4% based on XIRR and using 12/31/2016 as the end date. :dance:

60/35/5 AA.

Up 12.9% in HSA - which is one Black Rock Equity Income and some Vanguard index funds! Managed account with the professional stock picker is up 3.6%! 401(k) with some bad funds and we recently changed families is up 6.05%. The old KSS is very evident here...

IRA & 401(k) at Fido - 75% equities - about 7.5% YTD (60% 0f investible)
DW's TIAA - heavily weighted towards TIAA Traditional - 4.2% (30% of investible)
Ally savings - YTD about 1% (10% of investible)

My trading account is pretty dismal at below 1%, as mostly in cash the past year. Overall I am doing good due to early cash out of RSU and my business income.

How are your EM equities allocated? Vanguards VWO is at 14.6% YTD(FTSE based index)

VWO, which I also hold, is not too shabby. However, I also have ETFs specific to countries like India and the Philippines. These were OK until they slumped in the last 2 months.

About 8% for me YTD

Emerging markets is a broad concept. There are different approaches.
YTD Results from googlefinance function as of 12-10-2016.

SymFundTotal YTD Rtn
VTIAXVanguard Total International Stock Index Fund Admiral Shares5.4%
VTMGXVanguard Developed Markets Index Fund Admiral Shares2.8%
VEMAXVanguard Emerging Markets Stock Index Fund Admiral Shares14.0%
RNWEXAmerican Funds New World Fund® Class R-44.7%
VTRIXVanguard International Value Fund Investor Shares6.1%

I finally ripped the bandaid off this week and got rid of the 15 different funds that my former FA had suggested. Too bad the rebalancing wasn't complete before the big jumps. Ah well, now set with AA (and low cost index funds) that I'm comfortable with for a good long while. I'll still track accounts separately and expect the 7.4% that account had earned to improve long term.

Blended result of all accounts is 8.4% ytd.

I know this is a stupid question but how are figuring this.

Example>>> if you had 1 million and on paper my portfolio is up 100K then your YTD would be 10%. Is this what you are referring to in YTD?

if you had 1 million and on paper my portfolio is up 100K then your YTD would be 10%. Is this what you are referring to in YTD?
It is that simple, provided you have not added or withdrawn from your stash. Then, it gets more complicated. We have been through this before.

The added or subtracted money has to be accounted for. It is not just the amounts, but also the time the changes are made during the period of consideration. XIRR is the most accurate calculation, but there are also good approximations.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom