2016 YTD investment performance thread

I know this is a stupid question but how are figuring this.

Example>>> if you had 1 million and on paper my portfolio is up 100K then your YTD would be 10%. Is this what you are referring to in YTD?
That's a ROM estimate. Rough Order of Magnitude.

Some calculate XIRR by using the function with all inputs and outputs.

Some have quicken calculate this.

And there are other ways of measuring. Look back through the thread for other calculations.

I built a spreadsheet in googlesheets, and have weights of each fund and investment. Then the sheet brings in YTD performance for everything. Ours YTD result is 8.13% using that method. Imprecise, but good enough for us.

YTD is 8.8% in 401K through 12/9. ~ 73/27 AA. Pretty darn happy with the returns. Post election bump is quite a surprise.

Ok, made me look before end of the year....

Asset allocation = 75 % equities / 25% fixed assets, considering dropping this to ~ 65/35 in 1Q17.

return YTD ~ 12.4% , includes entire portfolio (investments, bonds, cash holdings) but misses accounting for a few dividends. Energy and small cap value were biggest winners. Bond holding and International Mutual Funds were at the other end.

YTD return calculation is from the Four Pillars of Investing and is same as Investment Return Calculator: Measure your Portfolio's Performance

Ok, made me look before end of the year....[/url]

OK, I only recently moved from a 52/45/3 allocation to something closer to 58/39/3. We were primarily in VWIAX/VWENX and a little traditional MPT balance of funds, but just picked up VG Capital Opportunity going forward.

YTD all funds 9.47%, beat my post retirement target. My re balance early last week helped a little, but we are still %68 invested in the wells mix.:dance: However the foreign funds exposure pushed by VG and Fido pulled our performance down a bit.

I just have to stay the course, we have won, and don't need to be playing as much anymore.:D

I know this is a stupid question but how are figuring this.

Example>>> if you had 1 million and on paper my portfolio is up 100K then your YTD would be 10%. Is this what you are referring to in YTD?
Yes, as long as you didn't add or subtract any funds during the year.

Most folks are going to be happy with their return barring a mini crash prior to the new year. Heck, most folks will hit their all time high in net worth. Can this continue into the next year? Wheeeeeee ... hope so. :)

Heck, most folks will hit their all time high in net worth...

I have not. I have not surpassed my high reached back on July 2014. Not even if I add back in what I spent since then.

Our net worth all time high was in April of 2015, and we're getting quite close to that number.

Inflation taken into account - not quite so close.

Index: almost +15%
Individual portfolio: +29%

What a month, what a year ..

Yes, I believe that in an irrational market, Mutual Funds are not the best vehicle - when 1/2 dozen stock are making up 80% of the market gains as now, I get out of the mutual funds and into the stocks areas that are in favor (medium size positions) and I keep them on a very tight leash.

I have done this a few times over the years (mainly 1999 and 2007) I use Vanguard for my funds - Normally 75% equities, 20% Bonds, 5% cash). When I do not understand the market movements based on my models, I move to the side -I do not like to loose capital. When I market start behaving rational I will return to my normal allocations and Mutual Funds.

Last edited:
9.59% per Quicken. Shot up mainly due to stocks at 21.47% and bonds were at a loss in most accounts.

Wouldn't it be great if this was a normal rate of return? We would all be retired. :)

Thanks for the help. My is about 7.8% and happy with that. I have more then I need in cash but that was my plan to live on and hoping not to have to sell investments. My cash in different accounts is 18% so I'm not hardly earning anything on that money which drops me down.

I'm up 12.54% since 1/1/16.

For tracking, I use the Personal Capital tool. It's free to sign up and you're not obligated to use any of their other services such as the brokerage service. In fact, I ignore the occasional phone call.

The tool is very intuitive and automatically tracks gains and losses in your brokerage accounts, for me it's worth it. Try it. Here is the link: http://bit.ly/2gxs7WE

Update through December - as previously discuss, this has been a better year for me - last year, while everyone was in the positive, I lost 3.68%. To date positive 16.93%
I've always wanted to look at the reports in this thread to see if the high-fliers during times like these were reporting more negative than others when times were tough. I expect there might be fewer high beta types reporting in tough times.

Ok, made me look before end of the year....
Me too. And it was a pita because I had money in-transit due to prepping cash flow for 2017, so needed adjustment. 7% though. I'll take it.

For tracking, I use the Personal Capital tool. It's free to sign up and you're not obligated to use any of their other services such as the brokerage service.
Yes, it sounds like you like the tool very, very, very much. Some of us will not entrust our passwords to any third party. Some of us don't like that the tool does not allow you to put-in a proxy in for something that's not publicly traded.

Last edited:
I've always wanted to look at the reports in this thread to see if the high-fliers during times like these were reporting more negative than others when times were tough. I expect there might be fewer high beta types reporting in tough times.

Very curious myself, also for my own portfolio. Only started individual shareholding since 2011.

What happens in a down market is a question I want resolved before I decide to indefinitely continue with individual shares (vs. indexing).

Not to mention I will suffer (in euro terms) once/if the euro starts rising again.

Yes, it sounds like you like the tool very, very, very much. Some of us will not entrust our passwords to any third party. Some of us don't like that the tool does not allow you to put-in a proxy in for something that's not publicly traded.
Re: Personal Capital: One does not have to give it any passwords or account credentials for your other accounts. One can manually enter any investments that you have. If you have something that is not publicly traded then you can manually put in a proxy (a ticker symbol) of something like it. You will have to change your number of shares manually.

I do not know if one can enter transactions manually, but I do know that it will tell you your asset allocation and expense ratio from the manually entered items.

I have not. I have not surpassed my high reached back on July 2014. Not even if I add back in what I spent since then.

As long as your retirement finance is fine, nothing wrong with that. I just want to stay flat until I start drawing from SS at least 7 years from now.

Most folks are going to be happy with their return barring a mini crash prior to the new year. Heck, most folks will hit their all time high in net worth. Can this continue into the next year? Wheeeeeee ... hope so. :)
Not me. Operating Bank of Mom :( but still up a little over 14.9%. Will eventually take RMD

As long as your retirement finance is fine, nothing wrong with that. I just want to stay flat until I start drawing from SS at least 7 years from now.
Years of seeing my stash grow spoil me. I need to temper my expectations.

+14.92% after Friday. I buy and sell huge chunks of company stock on a cyclical basis. This may be changing soon as I try to FIRE. Or not.

Re: Personal Capital: One does not have to give it any passwords or account credentials for your other accounts. One can manually enter any investments that you have. If you have something that is not publicly traded then you can manually put in a proxy (a ticker symbol) of something like it. You will have to change your number of shares manually.

I do not know if one can enter transactions manually, but I do know that it will tell you your asset allocation and expense ratio from the manually entered items.
Thanks for correcting me. I have a bad memory. I went over to the site a while back (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/portfolio-tracking-website-79776-2.html#post1667407) and discovered that you don't need to give-up credentials, and you can key-in whatever you want. Must be getting PC confused with another site.

Ok, so its a slow day and I'm jumping the gun a tad since I was updating some investment stuff anyway as part of my rebalancing... but based on yesterday's closing values (assuming no change from there) my portfolio will have earned a 8.83% return for 2016.

Better than my conservative retirement planning assumption of 6.2%. I'm guessing that it will be within the range of similar 60/35/5 portfolios that are my benchmarks.

Slow day here too. My calculations show me at 7.3% for the year so far. I am around 50 stocks/40% bonds/7% alternatives & 3% cash.

One of the benchmarks I look at is the average of Wellesley and Wellington. I realize this comes somewhere close to 50% stocks and 50% bonds. As of yesterday my calculations show this to be 9.5%. I think it may be time to just take a significant portion of my portfolio and put in these 2 funds!

Bob

Back
Top Bottom