Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-31-2017, 03:22 PM   #141
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I'll follow your question with another - since GAAP doesn't apply, does it really make a difference how one individual on this forum accounts for their spending?
Why yes, yes it does. Traditionally, forum members want their way of doing anything to be the one correct way and all other methodologies to be considered "wrong."
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2017, 03:22 PM   #142
Give me a forum ...

I had a few stocks that went bankrupt. I called it investment loss, but perhaps should have classified it as "educational expenses".

Why, the IRS even allows tax deduction for it, just like it does tuition costs.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 03:24 PM   #143
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Why yes, yes it does. Traditionally, forum members want their way of doing anything to the the one correct way and all other methodologies to be considered "wrong."
This could be true however I'm on day 3 of at least 4 days of weather that won't go above zero, so I'll sit at the keyboard and argue about anything.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 03:24 PM   #144
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I'll follow your question with another - since GAAP doesn't apply, does it really make a difference how one individual on this forum accounts for their spending?
Not to me, my original comment was how I'd show the spend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
I'd show the spend as an asset and then take depreciation (estimate) each year.
I didn't address how you or anyone else should.
bobandsherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 03:26 PM   #145
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
This could be true however I'm on day 3 of at least 4 days of weather that won't go above zero, so I'll sit at the keyboard and argue about anything.
No you won't.
Old 12-31-2017, 03:27 PM   #146
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
No you won't.
It's either argue or shop so I better argue...
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 03:29 PM   #147
Give me a forum ...

It is true that there's a lot of residual value in a car, even though one loses a bunch after signing the paperwork, even earlier than after driving off the dealer lot as the proverbial saying goes.

And so, depreciating it over a number of years is the correct accounting principle. However, I would need to keep track of my vehicle values to update my networth, and as I do not even keep track of my homes, I will forget about my vehicles (which are old and not worth much anyway).

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 12-31-2017, 03:59 PM   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
It is true that there's a lot of residual value in a car, even though one loses a bunch after signing the paperwork, even earlier than after driving off the dealer lot as the proverbial saying goes.

And so, depreciating it over a number of years is the correct accounting principle. However, I would need to keep track of my vehicle values to update my networth, and as I do not even keep track of my homes, I will forget about my vehicles (which are old and not worth much anyway).
I really make it easy, I just lease and know what my expense is each year and don't have any unusual hits to me spend for "one time" purchase or maintenance items.

Based on my lease payments it would take over 9 years for my car to "fully depreciate" (purchase price including taxes / monthly lease payment).
bobandsherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 04:03 PM   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Why yes, yes it does. Traditionally, forum members want their way of doing anything to be the one correct way and all other methodologies to be considered "wrong."
You are absolutely wrong on that.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 04:19 PM   #150
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I really make it easy, I just lease and know what my expense is each year and don't have any unusual hits to me spend for "one time" purchase or maintenance items.

Based on my lease payments it would take over 9 years for my car to "fully depreciate" (purchase price including taxes / monthly lease payment).
When you lease or rent, the money is really gone so it's a lot easier. No argument there.

Come to think of it, many of my big expenses in recent years were for home repairs or improvements. There should be some residual values there, as even a repair is still worth something as it means my roof will not demand more money for a few years, or the exterior stain will not cause me grief for a while, etc... Tracking all that is tough, as who knows if the plumbing will not take its turn to cost me an arm or at least some fingers, or the AC, or the sewer line, etc...

And so, I just watch out for these non-recurrent expenses, and hope that they will not take turn hitting my checkbook every year. None did this year.
Fingers crossed...

Old 12-31-2017, 04:26 PM   #151

Quote:
It's all good. But as point of reference, if you had $30K cash and "spent" it by buying a stock or gold, would you consider that a spend of this year? What about if you had $300K and "spent" it on a home?

As you started this thread though it's all for fun, so indeed let's just party on.
I put anything that I paid cash for as an expense, unless it's savings. Putting money in savings (or stocks, etc) obviously isn't an expense. Having said that, it does make for some really odd looking years. For example, my normal spending is around $100K - $130K. My spending for 2012 was over $500K since I bought a house and 2 cars using cash.
PatrickA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 04:44 PM   #152

The title of this thread is SPENDING summary, not expense summary. Spending implies outflow of money.

Perhaps we should start another thread about withdrawal rates... (Which are not as tightly correlated to spending as you might think since folks have pensions, SS, rental income, etc.)
Old 12-31-2017, 04:50 PM   #153
Give me a forum ...

Are we going to have a "thread fork", similar to the bitcoin blockchain fork?

Old 12-31-2017, 05:13 PM   #154

Quicken has a lot more detail, I am sharing only my top 10 expenses

1) Medical $19,500.00
2) Travel $14,600.00 2016 $30,000.00
3) Groceries $6,400.00
4) Pets $5,600.00
5) Auto $2,300.00
6) Dining $1,600.00
7) Household $1,500.00
8) Liquor $1.400.00
9)Recreation $1,300.00
10) Electric $1,000.00

all other categories are less than 1% of spending each.
Old 12-31-2017, 08:40 PM   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
The title of this thread is SPENDING summary, not expense summary. Spending implies outflow of money.
Not sure I understand the difference. I would assume most people equate "spending" with "expenses" at least as it pertains to their personal finances (i.e. not accounting terminology).
PatrickA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 09:08 PM   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickA5 View Post
Not sure I understand the difference. I would assume most people equate "spending" with "expenses" at least as it pertains to their personal finances (i.e. not accounting terminology).
My comment was in reaction to the discussion of applying depreciation to assets like new cars... I guess I look at spending as $$$ out of my wallet at the time it's spent.... not offsetting it with the asset, then depreciating the asset.
Old 01-01-2018, 06:58 AM   #157
Full time employment: Posting here.

2017 over 2016 expense +5.4%

Increases in medical premiums drowned out reductions everywhere else.
DEC-1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 08:05 AM   #158
Give me a forum ...

Yes. The only asset we count in assets is our house. All vehicles and other bought items are treated as expenses/spending. We don’t track vehicle or other purchased asset depreciation.

If we sell a vehicle (as opposed to a trade-in) or other item then the cash is booked as a credit in the given category. We do this for sold old camera gear all the time.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:34 AM   #159

2 peeps & a dog
2016 - $56,654 (lots of house remodeling)
2017 - $43,661 (lots of frugal travel)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20180101-093308.jpg (332.1 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20180101-092355.jpg (320.8 KB, 56 views)
Surewhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 08:58 AM   #160

I find the range of values under the category "groceries" fascinating. Thanks to all that have shared.