2017 YTD investment performance thread

YTD (April 29, 2017) returns for a collection of 'close-to' 60/40 funds (from Morningstar.com):

5.55% VSMGX Vg LifeStrategy Moderate Growth (60/40)
5.27% VTWNX Vg Target Retirement 2020 (57/43)
4.79% VBIAX Vg Balanced Index (60/40), no foreign
5.08% DGSIX DFA Global 60/40 I, small-cap & value tilted
4.24% VWENX Vg Wellington (66/34)
5.87% VTTVX Vg Target Retirement 2025 (65/35)

I want my roughly 60/40 portfolio performance to be ahead of all of these except the last two, and it is.

Last edited:
AA portfolio is up 4.5% YTD, but I've got to do a bit more work (and get a couple more numbers) to see the performance of the whole enchilada......

Wow, even mine is over 4% now. Bonds have come back up a bit and that is a good thing.

4.57% ytd, in line with the allocation of 64/33/3. April change about 1% up from end of March. Maybe I should move more into active managed funds just in time for some market volatility and summer slump, or not. By several standards I track, my performance is directly in line with the level of risk and allocation.

I finally installed Quicken 2017 which I bought several months ago. Have to do the update because the transaction download will stop working in a few days.

Saw that they have a new feature called "Portfolio X-Ray", developed by Morningstar. So, tried that.

It says "you have lots of cyclical stocks, and also emerging market stocks". That's true, and intentional. Heh heh heh...

I need to write more covered calls as antidote. Heh heh heh...

Comment on 2/1: OK made me look. PRR for the year to date without cash is 2.15%. Including cash it is 1.93%. I'll take it.

Comment on 3/1: Updating my post above as of today. Up 3.77% not including cash. Including cash 3.39%. Not quite as much progress but happy with it anyway.

Comment on 4/29: Two months since I calculated our PRR. YTD is now 4.81% without cash and 4.38% with cash. Sold a bit of stock yesterday and bought some bonds.

54/41/5

Last edited:
6%, 70/30 on investment account.

20% in cash in banks.

i usually dont check but...

my portfolio net worth has gone up 6.417 % since 12/31, this includes the 25 thousand i sent uncle SAM for taxes on April 12th. 80/20 mix with a heavy tilt on small cap.this includes 386k in checkbook going 4k a week into the AA

Last edited:
5.0% seems reasonable for a 59/33/8 AA. Even if it's not, that's what I've got.

Just checked. Former Megacorp's 401K YTD return is 5.78% (not to be exact--Ha). My AA is 70/30. The 30% being mostly a Stable Value fund locked at 2.1% annual. Chao.

You'd have to try really hard to lose money so far this year. Nearly impossible. Up approx 7.2%. Cant complain.

You'd have to try really hard to lose money so far this year. Nearly impossible. Up approx 7.2%. Cant complain.

Gee, I'm not trying at all and I'm down a tad (<1%). Never thought I could do the nearly impossible !

Last edited:
Gee, I'm not trying at all and I'm down a tad (<1%). Never thought I could do the nearly impossible !

Sorry to hear that. Im not sure what you're invested in but you may want to check out vanguards 3 fund portfolio. Remember to keep it simple. Good luck!

Sorry to hear that. Im not sure what you're invested in but you may want to check out vanguards 3 fund portfolio. Remember to keep it simple. Good luck!

It's ok. Did very well in 2016 so expected some rebound this year. Stuff goes up, stuff goes down....we just ride the waves. The current asset mix meets our plan to help ride out a downturn....contains a lot of assets that distribute dividends. They are very unlikely to be the big winners in the market this year but helps avoid us having to sell equities if we see a big downturn so fits our financial plan.

I used portfolio visualizer to review performance on my funds versus the 3 fund Boglehead (VG 50/30/20 Total US, Total Int, Total Bond), yes a smarter person would hold 20% or less in bonds, and 30% or more foreign for this particular time period and be up 7% versus my 4.6%. Even the short term std dev is lower for the 3 fund mix, so far. But as someone earlier stated, it is too short term to judge the year with so much momentum up and very little down in stocks to date. What will the summer bring, as you know it is May!:rolleyes:

You did well last year at 12.3%. Yes, I checked. :cool:

So, this year it's time for somebody else's turn. ;)

Last edited:
You made me look.

Five years ago, the Caracas index was at 260. Twelve months ago, it was at 15,357. It is now at 57,692.

Alas, it is based on the bolivar, and that experienced an inflation rate of 800% in 2016. The IMF is projecting an inflation rate of 1,600% in 2017.

Back
Top Bottom