2017 YTD investment performance thread

As of 8/31, YTD 11.218% Which to me doesn't hold real weight. Real terms its $419,560, now that to me has real meaning.

Actually the % has more weight IMO. Since I assume you are retired and would somewhat follow the forum ideals of 3% to 4% SWR, earning 11.218% return means you are experiencing growth beyond inflation and your spending.

If your user name was IamtheRealJohnnyDepp and you mentioned your YTD return was $419,560, I would tell you to go back to work because I know you are spending $2,000,000 a month.

Actually the % has more weight IMO. Since I assume you are retired and would somewhat follow the forum ideals of 3% to 4% SWR, earning 11.218% return means you are experiencing growth beyond inflation and your spending.

If your user name was IamtheRealJohnnyDepp and you mentioned your YTD return was $419,560, I would tell you to go back to work because I know you are spending $2,000,000 a month.
You are correct on all points, But here is my view....
I read that about Johnny D., But when I hear percentage, it doesnt have an impact, when I hear numbers in $ value, its heavy to me. When the market started to drop, and I lost the first 100 thousand, I was weak in the knees. I dont even know the percentage. I stopped looking after that drop. My world was built on a 5 figure income. When I see 6 figure increases, Im wowed.

You need to blow more dough, to borrow from RobbieB.

Have you finished that bottle of Louis XIII? You need to buy that by the case.

PS. If that's too much alcohol and it might not be good for your health, you can always use it as mouthwash. :)

Last edited:
"As I explained and LOL also mentioned, foreign stocks and particularly emerging markets did well. For US stocks, I overweigh biotechs"

Every dawg has its day; I noticed the last two years that my underperformance was primarily driven by international, EM, and biotech.

This year (YTD):

18.8 VTRIX Vanguard International Value
24 FIGRX Fidelity International Discovery
24 FIASX Fidelity Small Cap
33 FLATX Fidelity Latin America
35 FBIOX Fidelity Biotech
24% MCDFX Matthews China Dividend Fund
(The percentages are returns YTD.)

Hence outperformance, versus underperformance the last 36 months, in which almost all of these underperformed versus the S&P.

Last edited:
I faithfully rebalanced into international funds over the last several years. Good to see some payback finally.

Rebalancing can require a lot of patience sometimes, trends can persist over years. But you aren't supposed to be paying attention to your individual leaders or laggards anyway, just rebalancing as needed once every year or so.

Comment on 2/1: OK made me look. PRR for the year to date without cash is 2.15%. Including cash it is 1.93%. I'll take it.

Comment on 3/1: Updating my post above as of today. Up 3.77% not including cash. Including cash 3.39%. Not quite as much progress but happy with it anyway.

Comment on 4/29: Two months since I calculated our PRR. YTD is now 4.81% without cash and 4.38% with cash. Sold a bit of stock yesterday and bought some bonds.

Comment on 6/1: One month since I calculated our PRR. YTD is now 5.7% without cash, and 5.18% including cash. XIRR for a total year at this pace would be 12.99% including Cash. No plans to tinker with AA.

Comment 7/1: One month since I last calculated our PRR and also the mid year point. YTD PRR using XIRR formula is now 6.24% w/o cash and 5.69% including cash like instruments such as high yield savings, I bonds, and near term CD's. Not as much progress, but I would love to replicate these returns in the second half of the year.

Comment on 8/2: As of 7/31 XIRR 8.26% not including Cash, 7.51% including Cash. Big bump over last month and the Dow just hit 22,000 this morning. Fingers are crossed.

Comment on 9/2: As of 8/31/17 XIRR 8.64% not including Cash, 7.86% including Cash. Meh.........

AA: 54/41/5

No report from me this time... I'm away from the desktop machine for a while. But after having participated in this thread and reading results, I can guess my YTD % pretty closely.

As to the % versus $ ... I don't mind a tiny peek at the $ when going up, but mostly stick to the percentages, especially if things go south. And even "dilute" the overall percentage number by looking at % above or below target allocations in the various asset classes.

Paying back all that EUR/USD gain I had past year:

• Index -1%
  • Individual +3%
  • Emerging market tracker: +15%

Not too unhappy about it, expected worse.

I had a no choice forced capital gain on a condo Real Estate near lake Michigan owned maybe ten years that skewed my returns. I got double what I was using as the value of it (two different sources of value) when the entire building was purchased in a competitive bidding session between some REITS .

Because of that net worth up ~15% ytd. Neglecting that up about 10%.

About 7.5% YTD.

Speaking of foreign stocks and particularly EM outperforming the S&P recently, it remains to be seen whether they will make up for a couple for years of laggard performance. As I held these foreign stocks patiently to see them finally turning around, I have to keep reminding myself that the recent gain is nothing yet compared to the "pain and suffering" they caused my stash, and I should not be selling yet to allow them more time to redeem themselves.

Between an investor who holds just US stocks, and another who diversifies into some foreign stocks, we still do not know who will be better off in the long run.

As Doris Day sang, "... the future is not ours to see..."

You need to blow more dough, to borrow from RobbieB.

Have you finished that bottle of Louis XIII? You need to buy that by the case.

PS. If that's too much alcohol and it might not be good for your health, you can always use it as mouthwash. :)

It did get opened. It has 6 shots removed so far. If I get to 8 figures it might become mouthwash material:D. Yes Robbbie B is my go to guy for learning how to live it up.

Last edited:
Now, the usual Louis XIII cognac bottle goes for a few thousands, but there are some that go for higher than $100K.

When visiting Remy Martin and taking a tour of their cellars, I asked and was told that the super expensive bottles were special editions, and were sold in auctions. It's the auctioning that drives the price to the stratosphere.

For years, I was thinking that for my 60th birthday I would buy a bottle (of course the one costing $K, not $100K), have a party and share it with the males in my family. Then came that BD, I could not overcome my frugal nature and did not do it. So, I just served the usual XO.

Last edited:
Now, the usual Louis XIII cognac bottle goes for a few thousands, but there are some that go for higher than $100K.

When visiting Remy Martin and taking a tour of their cellars, I asked and was told that the super expensive bottles were special editions, and were sold in auctions. It's the auctioning that drives the price to the stratosphere.

For years, I was thinking that for my 60th birthday I would buy a bottle, have a party and share it with the males in my family. Then came that BD, I could not overcome my frugal nature and did not do it. So, I just served the usual XO.

The XO, is also an excellent item. To be honest, I didnt notice much of a difference. It did make for huge conversation and even picture taking.

YTD return on investments is 15.27% with 75/15/10 AA. Best fund is FCNTX at 23.69% and second best is FSDAX at 20.10%.

I topped to 10% YTD investment performance threshold today! RE in June 2018 is going to happen. But this nice performance YTD, even with a significant portion in low volitity funds such as VWIAX has me checking numbers to see if I can move the date up a little. I am mentally fried at work. It is time!

Last edited:
As of yesterday's close, I'm up roughly 12.8% YTD and about 16% over the past 12 months. Woo-hoo!

For years, I was thinking that for my 60th birthday I would buy a bottle (of course the one costing $K, not $100K), have a party and share it with the males in my family. Then came that BD, I could not overcome my frugal nature and did not do it. So, I just served the usual XO.

Sounds like me. :cool:

I have a somewhat similar "milestone splurge" plan. When I turn 50, I'm thinking of buying a bottle (or maybe two) of some really spectacular, highly rated, world class wine. Maybe something like a 2004 Lafite-Rothschild Bordeaux for $695/bottle. You only live once, right?

About 11%, but from that I paid off the mortgage in January and bought a summer home with cash in June. And the portfolio is still ahead of 1/1/17 :)

Sounds like me. :cool:

I have a somewhat similar "milestone splurge" plan. When I turn 50, I'm thinking of buying a bottle (or maybe two) of some really spectacular, highly rated, world class wine. Maybe something like a 2004 Lafite-Rothschild Bordeaux for $695/bottle. You only live once, right?

+1 Right, Good for you. Enjoy it when that milestone arrives.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom