2017 YTD investment performance thread

Yup, tied to 1 year TBill. I was fortunate that company set a 4.5% minimum. When the pension was set up I'm sure no one thought that they'd see 1 Yr TBill much below 4.5%, let alone going sub 1% :)

I could set it up to pay as an annuity, but the rate of return is currently only about 2%. I've left the money sitting as it's been a decent return and that it was a quasi bond-fund for my AA.

Guess I can't be too unhappy with the 4.5% return.

I looked at mine and it is also 1 year + 1%, min of 4.5%.... and I have used this as a bond allocation since at this low rate it has no interest rate risk....

up 12% for the year as of the last trading day.
65/30/5 allocation, although the run up has stretched it to more like 70/25/5.

I looked at mine and it is also 1 year + 1%, min of 4.5%.... and I have used this as a bond allocation since at this low rate it has no interest rate risk....
Yep, I view as the "gold standard" of a bond portfolio as it has no other risks that a bond would; call, reinvestment, default or inflation. The only downside is if I need to tap into it it's all or nothing. But I can then easily roll into 401K (which allows unlimited partial distributions and no penalty since 55+ when I retired).

I don't wanna sleep like a baby.

I'd like to wake up, and pinch myself to be sure that it is all real.

17% with an AA of 60/40. It was 15% if I exclude a very small amount thrown at crypto currencies.

Comment on 2/1: OK made me look. PRR for the year to date without cash is 2.15%. Including cash it is 1.93%. I'll take it.

Comment on 3/1: Updating my post above as of today. Up 3.77% not including cash. Including cash 3.39%. Not quite as much progress but happy with it anyway.

Comment on 4/29: Two months since I calculated our PRR. YTD is now 4.81% without cash and 4.38% with cash. Sold a bit of stock yesterday and bought some bonds.

Comment on 6/1: One month since I calculated our PRR. YTD is now 5.7% without cash, and 5.18% including cash. XIRR for a total year at this pace would be 12.99% including Cash. No plans to tinker with AA.

Comment 7/1: One month since I last calculated our PRR and also the mid year point. YTD PRR using XIRR formula is now 6.24% w/o cash and 5.69% including cash like instruments such as high yield savings, I bonds, and near term CD's. Not as much progress, but I would love to replicate these returns in the second half of the year.

Comment on 8/2: As of 7/31 XIRR 8.26% not including Cash, 7.51% including Cash. Big bump over last month and the Dow just hit 22,000 this morning. Fingers are crossed.

Comment on 9/2: As of 8/31/17 XIRR 8.64% not including Cash, 7.86% including Cash.
Meh.........

Comment on 10/1: As of 9/30/17 XIRR 9.99% not including Cash, 9.09% including Cash. Happy Dance.

Comment on 11/2: As of 10/31/17 XIRR not including cash of 11.79%, including Cash, 10.72% including low yielding cash. Well "Dayum". My benchmark is 10.10%. Biggest winners SCZ(28.20), VWO(27.22) and VEA(23.30). IVV lagging at 16.66. Reits a dissapointment.

Comment on 12/1: PRR based on XIRR, 12.76% not including cash and low yielding instruments, 11.64% including cash type instruments. Whee!!!

Year End Results: XIRR 13.94% not including cash type instruments. 12.69% overall. Biggest equity winners from a return perspective were SCZ, (Small Cap Foreign) at 32.73%, VWO ( Emerging Markets) at 31.48%, VEA (Foreign Developed Markets), at 26.42%. Bringing up the rear were VNQ (Real estate) at 4.91% and Commodities (PRNEX) at 10.58%. Ratcheting down our AA per our plan starting tomorrow to 53/42/5.

Here's to 2018 :dance:

AA: 54/41/5

I have most of my money in three accounts...

One with 75% had a gain of 20.2 per Vanguard...

Another with 30% had a gain of 24.4 since no new money or any taken out...

The last is the cash balance that was 4.5...

So, 22.7% for the year....

I follow two equity allocation disciplines.

Vanguard (Equities) 60d/40f 23.9
Fundx Upgrader (Equities) 17.1
Fundx Flexible Bond 6.9

Blended Return 18.5

The numbers guy in me just had to do it. I averaged the returns of all year end respondents. The average return was 14.3% over 45 entries. Obviously no AA was factored. Interestingly, some included cash allocation. I did not. My cash allocation is about 3%. The return on cash would not change due to market conditions. Overall, an awesome year!! Let the good times roll!:dance:

This is preliminary, as there are a few small stragglers on income and expenses, but numbers would revise very slightly up.

Retirement assets were up 15.4% in 2017 - wow!

Total investable assets were up 13.7% in 2017 after taking into account spending.

For 2017 I made a roughly 22.50% return on my taxable investments. I didn't keep track of my Roth IRA nor 401k, both of which are in vanguard index funds, around 70/30 AA. Taxable account was all over the place this year, basically multiple short term trades.

Total investments now up to around $475k. Looking forward to becoming a "halfionaire" in 2018. W-2 income now up to $70k with 16 years and counting vested in state gov pension plan. Still tentatively planing on switching to a part-time telecommute IT job at age 45 (2021).

This is preliminary, as there are a few small stragglers on income and expenses, but numbers would revise very slightly up.

Retirement assets were up 15.4% in 2017 - wow!

Total investable assets were up 13.7% in 2017 after taking into account spending.

Oops forgot to take into account donations of appreciated assets to our DAF in 2017.

So total investable assets were up 14% in 2017. Retirement assets up 15.4%.

I finished 2017 with a return of around 18.8%. Originally, I thought it was around 17.9%, but I found an error in the spreadsheet. Wouldn't it be nice if all errors turned out this way? :dance:

Depending on how I view the Vanguard funds, 2017 returned either 15.2% or 14.4%.

This is a discrepancy I've noted in the past, where if I include the settlement funds that only see money for a few days a year when capital gains and dividends go until they're automatically reinvested, the return rate varies several tenths of a percent.

I'm not complaining either way. :dance:

19.36% for 2017

Ended the year with
81% US equity
8% International
6% Bonds
5% Cash and alternatives

Let's do this again in 2018

Is there another thread where people explain how they calculate their returns (assuming I'm still in the accumulation phase)? The reason I ask is because my Vanguard and Fidelity accounts claim I earned 15-16% this year, but my calculations say I only earned 13.55% this year.

That link is an approximation; it assumes things were continuous / smooth through the period in question. It's possible or even likely that Fidelity and Vanguard report higher amounts because they use "internal rate of return", which takes the actual cash flows (when they happen) into account.

That link is an approximation; it assumes things were continuous / smooth through the period in question. It's possible or even likely that Fidelity and Vanguard report higher amounts because they use "internal rate of return", which takes the actual cash flows (when they happen) into account.

+1.... the difference can easily be when you take money out... since the market increased a good amount, taking money out in Jan or Feb is a big drag on return than Nov or Dec... same with putting money in except the opposite...

I will take what Vanguard says over some calculator that does not take into account when adds/subts are made...

Now, if you are using a bookkeeping program and put in all dates with all trades and that is off, then I would question what the number really is...

+1.... the difference can easily be when you take money out... since the market increased a good amount, taking money out in Jan or Feb is a big drag on return than Nov or Dec... same with putting money in except the opposite...

Well, I'm not taking any money out yet. But I think the same concept applies to adding money: the investment I made in Jan/Feb gives more of a boost than the investment I made in Nov/Dec this year.

Back
Top Bottom