Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-01-2018, 07:40 AM   #241
Recycles dryer sheets

I am up to a sizzling 1.11%.

I have about 1/3 of my port in a stable value fund on pace for a 2.2% return this year. The Stable Value fund does not lose money and makes at least a few $$$ each day. The rest is in VTI, VOOG.

Retired June 1, 2018

RE AA 65/35
Ed B is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2018, 08:13 AM   #242
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

At least my month-end dividends and interest came in 8 percent above normal last night.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:55 AM   #243
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

11.04% YTD on a 95/0/5 portfolio.
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 08:55 AM   #244
Recycles dryer sheets

Ytd -1.399 %
littleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:00 AM   #245
Give me a forum ...

Treading water...0.7 %
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:21 AM   #246

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEXPAT View Post
11.04% YTD on a 95/0/5 portfolio.
That's impressive: what's leading the parade for you?
Old 05-01-2018, 09:24 AM   #247

Down 0.5% YTD on the retirement part of my portfolio and up 1.0% overall if I also factor in cash reserves and company stock (up 23% YTD). With the way the markets are today, tomorrow's # will no doubt be worse.

Biggest surprise is my trusted Wellesley fund. Down 2.9% YTD..bottom 6% of all funds in it's category. Very unusual for VWIAX..
24601NoMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:27 AM   #248

New month, somewhat better picture:
  • Index tracker world: -1%
  • Index tracker non-US: +2%
  • Individual stock account, incl. cash drag: +3%

All accounts in EUR, total return since Jan. 1st 2018. It seems to become a wash this year. No complaints.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 10:03 AM   #249

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
That's impressive: what's leading the parade for you?
I was up 18.5% for the first quarter on mostly Chinese internet stocks (Tencent,Baidu,Momo,JD), This last month has actually been piss poor.
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 10:50 AM   #250
Give me a forum ...

High risk begets high reward.... good for you.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 11:40 AM   #251

First posting for the current year. Up .21%. I tend to not look at any of this stuff when it isn't pretty. I know it could be a lot worse.

AA 53/42/5
Old 05-01-2018, 11:44 AM   #252

+3.69% YTD overall (all accounts) including interest payments. The best performers - Centurylink 7.5% 2024 notes, Qwest 7.75% 2031 bonds, U S west 6.875% 2028 bonds, General Electric 6.75% 2018 notes, and Allied Capital 6.875% 2047 notes. I bought more of the Centurylink, Qwest, and U S West issues in early December 2017 and it's working out well so far (The Level 3 management will turn things around). I have a lot of cash waiting to pick up bargains. As bond funds continue to sell due to redemptions, I am waiting with low ball bids. It's a matter of time before equities really tank due to PE compression. The coming rate inversion also won't help. We've all seen this movie before.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 12:16 PM   #253

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post
I bought more of the Centurylink, Qwest, and U S West issues in early December 2017 and it's working out well so far (The Level 3 management will turn things around).
I hope you're right. Storey and Patel did a great job at LVLT but CTL was a mess and declining in a big way before the merger. Old CTL CEO Post should have been shown the door years ago and it was good to see him hand things over to Storey long before it was otherwise planned. We have a good chunk of the common stock and the dividend (currently north of 11.5% [!]) is going to be a nice income stream in ER - IF it doesn't get cut (which CFO Patel insists it's not..we shall see..)

If Wall Street ever figures out CTL is not another FTR or WIN, Katie bar the door. Could be a very solid upside play (mid 30s - 40s easy) that also just happens to kick off quite a nice div (currently $2.16 or a stock trading in the mid 18s).
24601NoMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 12:39 PM   #254

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEXPAT View Post
I was up 18.5% for the first quarter on mostly Chinese internet stocks (Tencent,Baidu,Momo,JD), This last month has actually been piss poor.
Nice going on the year-to-date. While at times tempted, I find that I don't have the courage to invest in individual Chinese stocks. ( I mean why do that when I can get hammered with my AT&T right here at home?).
Old 05-01-2018, 01:33 PM   #255

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireSoon View Post
I hope you're right. Storey and Patel did a great job at LVLT but CTL was a mess and declining in a big way before the merger. Old CTL CEO Post should have been shown the door years ago and it was good to see him hand things over to Storey long before it was otherwise planned. We have a good chunk of the common stock and the dividend (currently north of 11.5% [!]) is going to be a nice income stream in ER - IF it doesn't get cut (which CFO Patel insists it's not..we shall see..)

If Wall Street ever figures out CTL is not another FTR or WIN, Katie bar the door. Could be a very solid upside play (mid 30s - 40s easy) that also just happens to kick off quite a nice div (currently $2.16 or a stock trading in the mid 18s).
I don't have any common stock. I prefer to be further up the food chain. Confusing this company with Frontier and Windstream is stupidity. Centurylink is profitable. The interest coverage ratio improved after the merger. Qwest/U S West and Level 3 are tier 1 ISPs. With the combined company, Centurylink is the largest tier 1 ISP and has the largest internet back-bone on the planet. In other words, everyone who uses the internet pays them indirectly. Storey and Patel are smart managers. I know several small business owners in the Los Angeles area who are subcontractors to telecom companies. Prior to the merger, they rarely had to drop prices for Level 3 work and their quotes were always accepted. Since December 2017, they are forced to drop their bids by 25-30% if they want the work. Many planned projects in not so nice areas in Los Angeles have been cancelled. They stated that investments would be zip code focused for demographics that have the ability to pay for services and not blindly rolling out fiber everywhere. They also have stopped investing in consumer cable TV development and have focused investment in business services and streaming video delivery. Their Q1 earnings are coming out in just over a week and given that the common stock has been creeping up slowly since the end of the last quarter in a down market, I would speculate that the street is expecting evidence of a turn-around. We shall see.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 04:11 AM   #256
Administrator

XIRR -2.69% as of May 2nd

AA 48/47/5
Old 05-02-2018, 06:33 AM   #257

YTD: +0.11% (after adjusting for spending)
AA: about 55/35/10 (cash includes CD's)

Not going to complain about a sideways year, if that is what we get. Total portfolio is 21% more than retirement day (1/1/16), even after spending.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:28 AM   #258
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post

Not going to complain about a sideways year, if that is what we get. .
Me neither as dividends/interest keep filling my spending bucket, BUT...I wish I better understood the 'why' of this stallout. Earnings are good/great, unemployment is very low, overall economy is in good shape.

There's the 'excuse of the day' (tax cuts, interest rates, Apple's dramas, political nonsense, etc) but earnings should be the driver; once one excuse of the day passes another excuse crops up.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:45 AM   #259

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Glad to know someone else also has MMM. Do you have FCX (Freeport McMoRan) too? They gave up the gain of 2017 in a hurry. Darn!

Valero (VLO) is the star of my portfolio last month. Just do not have enough of it.
I do not own FCX I'll have to run it through the screener. I picked up MMM right before some innovation center announcement in the news. I'm emotionally attached since so many people I know have or do work for MMM here in town.

Then again, over in Charlottsville where everyone works at GE it seem much less rosy. Maybe buying opportunities if anything else. I'm in MMM for at least another 13 years.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:28 AM   #260
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Me neither as dividends/interest keep filling my spending bucket, BUT...I wish I better understood the 'why' of this stallout. Earnings are good/great, unemployment is very low, overall economy is in good shape.

I think most of those are already baked into the cake...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2018, ytd