2018 YTD investment performance thread

The very odd thing is that it shows up right on my laptop... I think it may have someting to do with using greater than/less than symbols rather than parentheses and Android.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    63.3 KB · Views: 45
The very odd thing is that it shows up right on my laptop... I think it may have someting to do with using greater than/less than symbols rather than parentheses and Android.
It's not Android, that's what I use with Chrome browser. No issues. Guess just strangeness...Screenshot_20181224-092121__01.jpeg

Never knew till this thread that <7.61> meant -7.61.
In this thread different conventions are used. Some miss the possible implication of characters they use. For example, < and > are found in emojis. Also, these may be part of character set being inspected for security purpose. Sorta like trying to sneak in some malicious code to break the forum bank. Different browsers and OS's implement security in different ways.

That goes far beyond your aside, but it was probably time to introduce possible explanation(s).

BTW, we're near -6% performance YTD. When I look at the end of month (which is the topic of the thread), I'll have a complete answer.
:)

I think it is the Android e-r.org app, because if I view Rick's post on my phone using Chrome then the shows, but on the app it doesn't. C'est la vie.

Could be. I either use Tapatalk app or browser.

With latest round of tweets, be ready to update your returns even lower for the year. SMH

A lots of exposure to international, small or emerging markets? Their returns are much worse than those of US markets, i.e., S&P 500.

Virtually no exposure to international. Bunch of REITS, BDCs and small and mid-cap index. At least my dividend payers at the the end of the month should get me more shares at a discount. (fingers crossed):D

AFAIK, parenthesis are the usual method of indicating negative. Well, except an actual minus sign, or possibly red lettering, hence, “in the red”...

It looks like I’ll be down YTD about -7.5% in my primary retirement accounts. That’s below the benchmark I use, Vanguard’s 2030 target date fund. So far, I’ve been ahead of it each year but you can’t win them all.

I’d been thinking it was international that detracted in 2018 but no, it was US small/mid-cap funds. In the study, with the candlestick.

Last edited:
As of this morning -1.09%. This is my 401K which is our primary savings. Goal 40/60 but currently 36/64.:facepalm:

I have been tempted to look but will wait till Monday after 2pm when markets close. It will be interesting to see where I'm at.

I have been tempted to look but will wait till Monday after 2pm when markets close. It will be interesting to see where I'm at.

Monday will be a full trading day, the markets will close at 4PM. That gives you another 2 hours to avoid the "pain" :).

^ I'm sorry I just took for granted it closes early. I beleive I got that thinking because of closing early on eve, of holidays.I beleive. LOL

You are right 2 more hours without pain will be good. LOL Thanks for correcting me.

I am closing my books for the month and the year.

All figures in '000 SGD

CqfEMdX.png

So down 5% for the year on the overall portfolio. 42k loss. Salary savings were 8% so net, my networth went up by about 3%. It is a bad year for me compared to past 2 years, when I managed good returns with low allocation to equties and this year it was bad timing of moving my allocation in equities from 30% to 50%, in the early part of the year. But on the bright side, now I have achieved my target equity allocation so going forward, I just have to maintain it.

As of this morning I am down 7.34%. If I use the Money Chimp approach and subtract this years spending I am down 5.19% which is still below the 5.84% of my VG TR2025 benchmark. Pretty good since I paid for a wedding this year.

Last edited:
My 50/47/3 portfolio was down 5.07% for the year through Friday. I am happy that my diversification helped soften the fall. This allocation feels like the best one for me. 64 and retired 2 1/2 years.

Asset Allocation working for now

Just checked numbers this morning (will update final ones on New Years Eve) and Dow -6.7%, S&P500 -7.0% and our portfolio down only -1.4%.

Age 61 and DW is 60, retired almost 3 years. Asset allocation is 70/30 but I also have a nice company pension that I don't count as fixed income even though it yields a monthly payout like one.

About 15% of our stocks are in two winners for the year United Health Group (my DW former employer) and Visa both are still up for the year. Without those 2 stocks my index funds in IRA and 401K are down -3.0% for the year so not too bad. Still painful to look at my YTD high and see how much on paper is gone. Hang tight!

YTD up 11.04%
Currently 20% equities (fully hedged)
AA varies between 20%-80% equities/10% ST treas/10%-70% cash.
Down 6% from the September high, but almost double LT planning returns.

Back
Top Bottom