Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-03-2019, 09:08 AM   #181
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My Quicken screen is telling me my stock portion of the portfolio is currently up 1.94%. Entire portfolio is up 1.25% when diluted with cash, but MF results are not yet known. These numbers are actually of 20 minutes ago, as that is the delay of Quicken stock quotes.

Of course it could be all gone by the end of this trading day. All it takes is someone saying "Boo!", and "buy, buy, buy" turns to "sell, sell, sell".

PS. Should I have rounded up the DTD (day to date) return to 2%? Oh, 2.15% now. Oh la la!

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2019, 09:30 AM   #182
Give me a forum ...

In case people wonder what's in my stock "collection", here are my best performing shares DTD, as Quicken sorts it out for me.

CLF - 5.36% (steel maker)
MU - 5.11% (memory chip maker)
AMAT - 4.51% (semi equipment maker)
LYB - 2.61% (chemical producer)
X - 2.33% (US Steel)
etc...

The "animal spirit" is back. They are clamoring to buy. And I find it hard to sell.

PS. By the way, the Quicken screen also reminds me that the 12-month return of MU is -13%, of AMAT is -22%, of X is -21%, etc... It's not all rosy.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 04-03-2019, 11:47 AM   #183
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
There is no precision in these posted numbers and probably not much accuracy either. For instance, did anybody notice the mistake in YTD performance in my last post for one of the benchmark funds?
No, I only glanced at your posted numbers for the MFs, and did not see anything outrageous. Hence, I did not doublecheck your numbers.

But your post reminded me of an HSA account that Quicken is not able to download from. It is invested in Wellington, but with a class of shares that's not the same as elsewhere, probably for higher ERs. Anyway, I just went in and updated it to reflect the dividends received last year.

My portfolio is now higher, but not all of it is reflected in the YTD number, because the bulk of the increase was posted in Dec 2018.

Should I go back to the 2018 thread to correct my number? It does show up in the 0.01% digit. Heh heh heh...

Old 04-03-2019, 01:07 PM   #184
gone traveling

9.63% YTD 2019 with a 65/35 AA. Not too shabby.
Tiger8693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 02:04 PM   #185
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

8.04% As Of 3/31

52/46/2
Old 04-03-2019, 02:12 PM   #186
gone traveling

18.49% YTD in 2019 so far.....hope to double that this year while staying in equities.
ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 02:58 PM   #187

I tell my kids, “it’s good to hope,,,, but don’t always plan on it”.
Old 04-03-2019, 04:09 PM   #188

13.7% on my VG assets; 5.6% in my ESOP (but that's a once-a-year valuation). Not too shabby.
HI Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 08:39 PM   #189

Quote:
There is no precision in these posted numbers and probably not much accuracy either. For instance, did anybody notice the mistake in YTD performance in my last post for one of the benchmark funds?
(bolding by the duck)

Are you saying that the numbers you post are neither precise nor accurate? If so, thanks for the heads-up.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:16 PM   #190

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
In case people wonder what's in my stock "collection", here are my best performing shares DTD, as Quicken sorts it out for me.

CLF - 5.36% (steel maker)
MU - 5.11% (memory chip maker)
AMAT - 4.51% (semi equipment maker)
LYB - 2.61% (chemical producer)
X - 2.33% (US Steel)
etc...
OK, that looks like an interesting exercise, so I went to Morningstar and looked at my YTD Dividend Stocks + the EFT, XLU. It shows that the "%Total Return YTD" is 13.27. For several reasons I'm hoping that the 13.27 is accurate.
Old 04-04-2019, 09:22 AM   #191
Recycles dryer sheets

For the year at +14.83%
Since this time last year I'm up 6.99%

Glad I stayed the course and didn't panic
Old 04-04-2019, 09:35 AM   #192
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
OK, that looks like an interesting exercise, so I went to Morningstar and looked at my YTD Dividend Stocks + the EFT, XLU. It shows that the "%Total Return YTD" is 13.27. For several reasons I'm hoping that the 13.27 is accurate.
I also count XLU among my holdings.

Share price was 52.92 at market close on 12/31/2018. It is 57.32 currently (down from a recent high of 58.96). Dividend of 0.43 was paid on 3/15.

So, the YTD return of XLU as of this writing is 9.12%.

Old 04-04-2019, 10:43 AM   #193

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I also count XLU among my holdings.

Share price was 52.92 at market close on 12/31/2018. It is 57.32 currently (down from a recent high of 58.96). Dividend of 0.43 was paid on 3/15.

So, the YTD return of XLU as of this writing is 9.12%.
As of 9:30, XLU's share price was $57.56 and the YTD according to Morningstar was 9.95%. I have more faith in your numbers than in Morningstar's.
Old 04-04-2019, 01:31 PM   #194
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
(bolding by the duck)

Are you saying that the numbers you post are neither precise nor accurate? If so, thanks for the heads-up.
No, I am saying that the numbers posted by lots of people in these threads are neither precise nor accurate. For myself, I don't post my YTD numbers, but I might mention if I am ahead or behind my benchmarks. In this thread, I think the numbers I posted for the Vanguard funds are accurate and precise as of the day I noted. The number for DGSIX is not right.

As for my "lots of people" comment, I have noticed over the last 10 years that many people don't know how to calculate their portfolio performance in a common legitimate manner. That is, they don't calculate it like Vanguard.com does nor like Morningstar.com both of which use the same method of the XIRR algorithm found in MicroSoft Excel. And if even they used that algorithm, they leave out things such as their cash, or their play account. Or they include only one account like "my IRA" or "my 401(k)" or their "account with the best performance if I leave out that stock that I lost money on." You know what I mean even if the Beardstown Ladies didn't know.

I have accounts that hold single funds and get no transactions except autoreinvesting dividends. My calculations always show the exact same performance as Vanguard.com and Morningstar.com show for them.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 01:39 PM   #195
Give me a forum ...

Speaking of accurate reporting of YTD returns to 0.01%, I recently discovered that, in order to get the YTD expenses to use with the Moneychimp formula, I could not tell Quicken to give me the expenses "for this year".

Why not? I found out that my wife scheduled some payments in advance, by as much as a couple of months, such as the real-estate taxes. Bank of America reported these to Quicken, which rightfully included these in the total expenses that it knew YTD although they had not been incurred.

So, for really, really correct numbers, I have to enter in the period end date as that of today in order to have the real YTD number.

PS. My wife's advanced scheduled payments would affect my computed number to the 0.1% digit. That is not acceptable to me, although the daily fluctuation of the portfolio is often greater than 1%.

Old 04-04-2019, 03:18 PM   #196

Quote:
No, I am saying that the numbers posted by lots of people in these threads are neither precise nor accurate. For myself, I don't post my YTD numbers, but I might mention if I am ahead or behind my benchmarks. In this thread, I think the numbers I posted for the Vanguard funds are accurate and precise as of the day I noted. The number for DGSIX is not right.

As for my "lots of people" comment, I have noticed over the last 10 years that many people don't know how to calculate their portfolio performance in a common legitimate manner. That is, they don't calculate it like Vanguard.com does nor like Morningstar.com both of which use the same method of the XIRR algorithm found in MicroSoft Excel. And if even they used that algorithm, they leave out things such as their cash, or their play account. Or they include only one account like "my IRA" or "my 401(k)" or their "account with the best performance if I leave out that stock that I lost money on." You know what I mean even if the Beardstown Ladies didn't know.

I have accounts that hold single funds and get no transactions except autoreinvesting dividends. My calculations always show the exact same performance as Vanguard.com and Morningstar.com show for them.
Thanks for the reply.
Using moneychimp, I usually only post my Dividend Portfolio and all that is in it. However, in a recent post, I just listed how the STOCKS (and the one ETF) performed using the number Morningstar gave me.

I don't find not much value (ok, no value, but I'm working on my social skills here) in reading that someone's IRA is up 11.2% (or whatever) with no other information attached to it.

Anyhow, I plod along, trying to make my dividend portfolio easy to understand. I definitely don't try for "precise," but I do strive for "reasonably accurate."

How come you don't report your YTD?
Old 04-04-2019, 03:50 PM   #197

I find this thread very insightful. In my case, my returns are total invested assets, all in, including checking account, adjusted for expenses using the formula posted here a while back.

Those that post regularly usually calculate the "right way" and also post AA. So I can gauge how I am doing relative to others with a similar AA.

As far as accuracy, it's not perfect. I use my bank statement for expenses, and it actually closes the 20th of the month. I don't update my CD's every month, but will when I get a statement. But for looking at a rolling average, it is close enough for government work.
Old 04-04-2019, 04:26 PM   #198
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
How come you don't report your YTD?
I report my YTD relative to my benchmarks in the LOL! Market Timing Newsletter and what I think are reasons why it is ahead or behind. I think folks can figure out my YTD pretty well from those posts.

I don't think it is wise to make comparisons to what people post, but it is perfectly fine to make comparisons to a benchmark with a similar asset allocation. That way, one knows (a) their own asset allocation, (b) the benchmark asset allocation and (c) that the benchmark performance is absolutely legit.

I am all for comparison to a benchmark. I wrote a 3-part long post about this back in 2016:
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ml#post1787189
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 05:52 PM   #199
Give me a forum ...

Retirement assets: +9.4% YTD thru 3/31/19

Total investable assets: +8.6% YTD thru 3/31/19
Old 04-05-2019, 07:04 AM   #200
Give me a forum ...

If someone looks once a month, posts a number, it's all good. Over time those who are in error, will self correct. The thread is about learning.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote