2019 YTD Investment Performance Thread

Through August 31st, 11.95% with 50/50 allocation(20% foreign equities) Rebalanced in July from 54/46 and it is now 49/51. Good year for bonds so far, but who knows what comes next!!

I suspect those one year returns include the big drop from late last year. My YTD number is much better than my 12 month number.

Mine as well, still up double digits year over year, though barely. :D

Will the bear's come out before winter? :confused::rolleyes: :popcorn:

Currently at 23.59% YTD with 100% equities, which is quite a bit higher than my rolling yearly total. As said earlier, 4Q 2018 was rough on everyone. My 401K is only $5000 off of it's all time high (6-2019), which amazes me from the rocky road over the last month or two !

I mean, it still looks good if we're just looking at YTD (as the title of this thread specifies), and I don't mean to sound like a downer, but if we look at the 1 yr chart instead, it's not very rosy IMO :ermm:

I guess my glass is half empty.

I'm up +16.8% YTD. However, I'm only up 1.3% from 12 months ago. The YTD picture is much more fun to look at... Though it requires ignoring the end of 2018.

YTD 14.82%

this year.png

1 Year .53%

1 year.png

AA
US Stock 60%
Int Stock 27
Bonds 8%

That one year is definitely not as fun to look at.

On 8-30-19 up 22.7%

Last edited:
Just teasing. ;)

A belated congrat on a heck of a YTD return. Did you say you are 100% in stock or so? Still impressive, because the S&P is up "only" around 20% YTD.

Yeah that's just my Merrill Lynch stock pickers. They have all the equities.

I have my CA muni bonds with Morgan Stanley and Fidelity. They just stay the same and generate tax free cash. They actually made some dough this year as interest rates went down.

But the number I post here is always my ML stock pickers, my 1% AUM guys that earn their dough every year even though that's not supposed to be possible as I'm often told.

The following are a few of the companies with outstanding YTD performance. Perhaps you have a bit of them.

Microsoft - 37%
Facebook - 43%
Apple - 35%
Mastercard - 54%
Costco - 49%
Target - 66%

As a dividend growth investor, I have noticed that the Brookfield yieldco's (my largest 3 holdings since swapping out of pipelines and REITs last fall) have also done well YTD

BEP +51%
BIP +45%
BPR +27%

along with their newly controlled cousin

TERP +56%

Last edited:
The following are a few of the companies with outstanding YTD performance. Perhaps you have a bit of them.

Microsoft - 37%
Facebook - 43%
Apple - 35%
Mastercard - 54%
Costco - 49%
Target - 66%
Yeah, all solid brand names today, and included in many index funds. Our portfolio has at least 20% Large index makeup. So, yes, we have a bit of each.

Out of indivdual companies we do own, here are top 6 winners - 1 year total return:
43.61% SOUTHERN CO
40.61% BLACKSTONE GROUP INC
36.43% REALTY INCOME CORP
27.79% COMCAST CORP
26.13% DISNEY (WALT) CO
20.44% DUKE ENERGY CORP

Many of the above stocks trailed the market in previous years, and take revenge now. Picking stocks is not easy.

I would take some profits off the above high flyers now (which I sadly do not currently hold). I would not buy them at this point.

Forgot to share my number.

As of 8/31/2019, 13.9% YTD. Every account included per Moneychimp method. Not included: coin change on top of the dresser, and the few bucks in my wallet. My wife might have hoarded a few hundred bucks somewhere.

Stock AA is 63%, with much of the rest in cash earning 2%/year.

I could have done better at that AA, except that international stocks keep on trailing. I am about giving up on them, with the news of negative bond yield and all that.

YTD 6.8%, which is fine with me as I'm now very conservatively invested. :)

In our planning I use 4.5% as a goal. I sleep very well knowing that a market downturn will not significantly affect us, and we simply "oversaved" to reach an amount that we can easily live off for life with a 3.5% initial withdrawal rate.

1/31 +10% YTD Over half recovered from my terrible Nov/Dec '18
2/28 +14.57% and almost back to my 52 week high.just another ~4.5% to break the 52 week high
3/31 +16.75% and I was beating all three major indexes...
4/30 +21% 52week high, net worth at record highs, liabilities at all time lows...blessed.
5/31 +13.27% nice little 7% tariff haircut. Oh, I know it was priced in eh?
6/28 +21.46% regaining my 52 week high from back in April I'll take an 8% month .
7/31 +25% as you can see, growth has slowed first 3 months provided 65% of my YTD
8/31 +22.5% backpedaled a bit. Up double digits yeqr over year. Happy Labor day y'all blowin the dough at a 5 star with the family
9/30 +23% took a bath in Slack WORK :(

Forgot to share my number.

As of 8/31/2019, 13.9% YTD. Every account included per Moneychimp method. Not included: coin change on top of the dresser, and the few bucks in my wallet. My wife might have hoarded a few hundred bucks somewhere.

Stock AA is 63%, with much of the rest in cash earning 2%/year.

I could have done better at that AA, except that international stocks keep on trailing. I am about giving up on them, with the news of negative bond yield and all that.

9/30/2019: 16.2% YTD

Per Moneychimp method as usual, and computed over the grand total of every account.

Current AA: 57.6% stock, 13.5% bond, 26.7% cash, 2.2% unknown per Quicken.

Of the 57.6% stock, large cap is 37.7%, small cap is 10.9%, and international is 9%.

Hmm, not sure how I went right and wrong. 9/30 I am 16.5 YTD, and 6.8 1 year. Most gains were locked in during Sept due to sales to MMs for various reasons.

Back
Top Bottom