Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-01-2019, 10:12 AM   #161
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
When one computes the return to 2 digits after the decimal point, the monthly interest will change at least the last digit. For every $1M, 0.01% is $100, and people usually get more than that each month.....
Measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a chalk, cut it with an axe.

While many of us post to two decimal places.... one would probably be informative enough. I suspect that disparities in sources and methods of calculation far surpass month of credited interest on cash.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2019, 10:23 AM   #162
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post

While many of us post to two decimal places.... one would probably be informative enough. I suspect that disparities in sources and methods of calculation far surpass month of credited interest on cash.
True. But measuring is what we talk about here.

PS. Speaking of computing to 0.01%, it is really meaningless when we often see 1% or higher change a day! Or even in a matter of 1 hour.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 10:33 AM   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post

This, and the other comments on the topic, are what I was thinking while composing the (a bit tongue in cheek) post about interest not being posted yet.

For me, though, because I have a good chunk in the stable value fund of my 401K, it actually makes a difference (I had to run the numbers out of curiosity). With the SVF interest: 10.01%. Without: 9.93%.

Normally I round to the tenth of a percent, because, as noted, these calculations are run with some fairly rough assumptions, my biggest being that since it's based on every account, I presume linear spending of last years spend, increased by inflation. But spending is "lumpy", so paying off a credit card with an overseas trip is also going to change the tenths.

Anyway, this thread, this forum, is more about entertainment and chatting with like-minded people than it is about precision
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 10:36 AM   #164

Quote:
PS. Speaking of computing to 0.01%, it is really meaningless when we often see 1% or higher change a day! Or even in a matter of 1 hour.
That's true too.

My 1Q result actually has this morning's market changes for things that are priced real-time on their respective web sites.

If I wait for the interest to be posted, that's like 10PM, and then if I don't do the exercise until after the market opens, the results will contain part of today's fluctuations. Like I said, entertainment.

EDIT: Oh, and this calculation is a side-effect of my process to check asset allocation.
Old 04-01-2019, 11:35 AM   #165
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Maybe one way to see benchmark results would be Wellesley.
https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/VWIA...rmance?p=VWIAX

YTD for VWIAX is 5.80%. AA is 35-40% fixed.

Or take a look at VASIX (AA is 20% fixed). YTD is 2.96%.
https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/VASI...rmance?p=VASIX
Understand about the benchmarks but was curious in real life portfolio returns at these levels which some have responded to.
Effectively, the curiosity is more on potential outsized gains on the fixed income side, if using index funds on the stock side.
Old 04-01-2019, 04:47 PM   #166
Dryer sheet aficionado

Up 12.4% as of 3/31/19. 75/25
Old 04-01-2019, 08:33 PM   #167
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

1/31 +10% YTD Over half recovered from my terrible Nov/Dec '18
2/28 +14.57 and almost back to my 52 week high.just another ~4.5% to break the 52 week high
3/31 +16.75 and I was beating all three indexes until the Nasdaq pulled ahead today
Old 04-01-2019, 08:46 PM   #168
Give me a forum ...

Many of you have outstanding gains so far. I'm on the low end of what you folks are getting. I'm still very happy with what I have ytd though.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:52 PM   #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrWinter View Post
+17.48% for Q1 2019, so glad I stayed the course.
+1 there has been a lot of chatter and some fun rides this month, with the quickly inverted yield curve and some trade related hooplah, add-in robo-advising to the hilt and this is what the new norm is from quarter to quarter.

Hang, on and please keep your arms and hands inside the ride at all times.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:08 PM   #170
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
+1 there has been a lot of chatter and some fun rides this month, with the quickly inverted yield curve and some trade related hooplah, add-in robo-advising to the hilt and this is what the new norm is from quarter to quarter.

Hang on and please keep your arms and hands inside the ride at all times.
Right!

However, there's already another thread jubilating about the market, not unlike the following photo.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 04-01-2019, 10:10 PM   #171
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
This, and the other comments on the topic, are what I was thinking while composing the (a bit tongue in cheek) post about interest not being posted yet.

For me, though, because I have a good chunk in the stable value fund of my 401K, it actually makes a difference (I had to run the numbers out of curiosity). With the SVF interest: 10.01%. Without: 9.93%.

Normally I round to the tenth of a percent, because, as noted, these calculations are run with some fairly rough assumptions, my biggest being that since it's based on every account, I presume linear spending of last years spend, increased by inflation. But spending is "lumpy", so paying off a credit card with an overseas trip is also going to change the tenths.

Anyway, this thread, this forum, is more about entertainment and chatting with like-minded people than it is about precision
Eh, in a competition like a race even a few inches matter, hence runners stick out their chests to cross the finish line first. Here, every 0.01% counts.

Old 04-02-2019, 08:19 AM   #172

Quote:
Eh, in a competition like a race even a few inches matter, hence runners stick out their chests to cross the finish line first. Here, every 0.01% counts.
Is the end of the race six feet under, or retirement?
Old 04-02-2019, 08:30 AM   #173
Give me a forum ...

There is no precision in these posted numbers and probably not much accuracy either. For instance, did anybody notice the mistake in YTD performance in my last post for one of the benchmark funds?
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 10:17 AM   #174
Give me a forum ...

I kind of quit looking last year since it was just too depressing, but I'm glad to see that everyone is doing really well this year. We're definitely getting back what we lost last year.
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 11:11 AM   #175

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/fun...nchmarkreturns

Above links to Benchmark/Index returns.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:40 PM   #176
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
... 3.3% below all time high September 2018
I still need another 7.4% gain to get back to my high-water mark reached in late Jan 2018 (I am not an indexer, and do not track the S&P that closely).

The above number includes my WR of 2.8% since that date. So, I am still down 4.6% from my all-time high.

Old 04-02-2019, 10:43 PM   #177
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
Is the end of the race six feet under, or retirement?
As long as I am alive and cognizant of my financial situation, I will always be in the market.

And as I am an active investor, I am racing against a passive portfolio of about 60/40 or 70/30.

Old 04-03-2019, 05:40 AM   #178
Full time employment: Posting here.

I liked the measure it with a micrometer, mark it with chalk, and cut it with an ax reference and may use it again myself elsewhere. Regarding accuracy, precision ideas here very useful but may not be understood by all. (including me : ) )

I took slide rule in engineering way back when and we really only had about two or three significant figures to work with and had to keep track of the zeros in our head so 3,000,000 was 3.0 to 10 to the sixth power.
If you had a real number like 3,218,164.27 and it moved up 120,217.53 and then divide that by the original number getting .034355933356379 not really sure saying you are up 3.43% is wrong. I'd agree with numbers this large and holdings that can change 1-2% a day or more it may not show a true trend line though. You could have been unchanged all quarter and made the gains in one day, or just jumped on both sides of gain loss all quarter. I use something I call a quick and dirty indicator with a trend line in excel to show that. (unweighted changed in about 300 things daily)
Ready-4-ER-at-14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 07:48 AM   #179

Quote:
As long as I am alive and cognizant of my financial situation, I will always be in the market.

And as I am an active investor, I am racing against a passive portfolio of about 60/40 or 70/30.
[emoji1]
Old 04-03-2019, 08:47 AM   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready-4-ER-at-14 View Post
I liked the measure it with a micrometer, mark it with chalk, and cut it with an ax reference and may use it again myself elsewhere.
Me too! You never know if, later, you might want a little more precision. In HS I was on the cusp of slide-rule and calculator. Not everyone could afford a TI-57 or whatever the popular one was at the time, so the default in science class was the slide rule. I'm glad I have that experience because it really instills the "significant figures" idea.

So, yeah, YTD 10% (not even any tenths).