2019 YTD Investment Performance Thread

YTD: 7.23%

When we had the drop in December, I finally switched out a chunk of my Wellington for SP500 index. I've been thinking about it for a while as I felt I was being way too conservative given my situation, and needed to update the asset mix so when it dropped it seemed like the perfect time.

1/31/2019 YTD = 5.44%. VG TR2025 benchmark = 5.41%. I noticed this morning that my entire portfolio is withing a couple of bucks from where it was on 1/1 last year including last year's spending.

It's not January 31st...it's December 62nd. And that means I'm UP for 2018 (about one percent!).

Oh, you conventional calendar folks might prefer reporting on the last 31 days... Nice number: Up 5.8% for the year. And like NW, that's "all-in" (all accounts). I do a spend adjustment (estimating a level spend).

+1 Went from -3.45% as of December 31 to +1.22% as of December 62.

6.0%
Portfolio is mostly a mix of Wellington, T.Rowe 2030, S&P 500, and Stable Value.

...I've often mentioned how I prefer to monitor a 3 year average because it smooths out the roller coaster a bit. ...

I agree. I'm at about 6.4% for the 3 years 2016-2018. Not great, but not bad either. Pretty much spot on to what I expected.

Last edited:
Up about 4% thus far, much better than -2.5% like 2018, but the year is young. Regardless of where we go in 2019, the long term is up.

I went back and got rid of mine, in the hopes I don't jinx it. And, I don't think we're quite out of the woods, yet...

I dunno if that is enough. You will have to burn incense before the altar of the market god to apologize for your offense. ;)

By the way, the Chinese are particularly superstitious. In almost every Chinese store, you will see a small altar with a statue of the so-called laughing Buddha. They believe that it brings them good luck. That symbolic fat and happy Buddha has little to do with Siddhartha Gautama, the founder of Buddhism in India in 500 BC.

The ascetic Siddhartha looked more like this.

400px-Emaciated_Siddhartha_Fasting_Gautama_Buddha.jpg

Last edited:
I am not Chinese nor superstitious, but in the past whenever I feel complacent or so sure of something, I overlook something else that jumps up and bites me in the behind.

And that goes beyond investing too.

I don't want to jinx anything but I kind of feel like stocks have reached a permanently high plateau or something.

I don't want to jinx anything but I kind of feel like stocks have reached a permanently high plateau or something.
:facepalm: NOW you did it! Get ready for a huge plunge!

As to the three year thing, I'd never done that. I have a "since retirement" section in my sheet, but not a moving 3 year. Until now.

Spend adjusted, I'm up 21.9% over the last 3 years ending December 31. It's still on the plus side even after accounting for inflation and ignoring spend. I could definitely live with more of what we've had since I retired (turns out it's just a few days over 5 years ago). Too bad gstillson just ruined it.

Principal LCG up 9.87% as of today, and is the ONLY principal fund available out of maybe 20 funds in my 401K that is still up from 1 year ago (+3.5%). Today is a happy day !

-YTD is +9.87
-1 year average is +3.5%
-3 year average is 11.51% for this fund. No other Principal is above 9% in the 3 year average, so I must be where I need to be.

December 2018
+2.88% Total Portfolio Value increase YTD

-3.72% YTD Performance, total pie weighted

50-45-05 (Stk-Bnd-Csh) AA

Analysis: Able to contribute 401(k) and Roths. That is why the total grew, rather than going negative for the year.
January 2019

• +5.52% Total Portfolio Value increase YTD
  • +4.56% YTD Performance, total pie weighted
  • 50-45-05 (Stk-Bnd-Csh) AA
Partial retirement soon, spouse working.
Nice start to the year.
No telling where the market may wander.
Best wishes to all for the investing year.

:facepalm: NOW you did it! Get ready for a huge plunge!

Fear not.

He's a stock picker/market timer/day trader. His performance (or lack of it as it may be) does not necessarily reflect what happens to the rest of us. :cool:

9.67% YTD - Simplified in November, moved everything to an equal weight S&P fund. Total brokerage is almost back to September levels!

I am not Chinese nor superstitious, but in the past whenever I feel complacent or so sure of something, I overlook something else that jumps up and bites me in the behind.

And that goes beyond investing too.

I try not to be superstitious, but I'm convinced the reason the market got so sketchy in October is because I bought a house in September! It did it just to make me feel antsy about getting back into a mortgage! :facepalm:

8.92% YTD - I'm glad to see that the strategy of doing nothing when the market is down, has continued to be the right strategy.

But let's not get too excited. IIRC, 2018 started out with a similar run-up in January.

1/31 +10% YTD Over half recovered from my terrible Nov/Dec '18

I had to wait until this morning to get all the totals in, but it looks like for the month of January, my return is about 7.94%. Hopefully, it holds! I've now "made back" more in 2019, than what I "lost" in all of 2018.:D

I don't usually check my 1 month returns, but I did and got 7.94% too! Maybe we are soul brothers? :LOL:

Anyway, Dec 31 was so awful almost any portfolio should look good by comparison..

Perhaps not that many buy and hold investors with 60/40 AA, with all the reported 8%+ returns.

... I've often mentioned how I prefer to monitor a 3 year average because it smooths out the roller coaster a bit. My 3 year is 9.5% despite '18 being a dog.

You made me look.

My 3-year return of 1/31/2016-1/31/2019 is 34.34% cumulative.

Annualized, it's 10.34%/year. Stock AA has been around 70%, with the rest mostly in cash...

Just reviewed the MFs in some of my smaller accounts which I do not pay a lot of attention to. Rediscovered 2 accounts from which Quicken stopped being able to download. I was going to look into that, but forgot. And it has been more than 2 years. Gah!

So, I had to look up the account info to log into those Web sites to pull statements to update Quicken by hand. And with the 2 years of re-invested dividends properly posted in these smaller accounts, my 3-year cumulative return is now 34.87%.

Annualized, it's 10.49%/year.

For the sake of accurate accounting... ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom