2020 cell phone plans

Visible wireless $25 each line per month total, unlimited everything ( it $40 but with 4 in party pay get it to $25) to fill a party join the reddit visible party request , took me minutes to fill the 4th spot in mine.

We have T-Mobile and there is zero hassle using it all over the world. We've traveled to a dozen countries in the last five years and our phones have always worked the same as at home. When the plane touches down and you turn your phone back on, you immediately get a text from them saying "Welcome to _____".

Unlimited everything (calls, texts, data), and although it's slower than at home, it has been perfectly fine for us. Being over 55, we pay just $60/month for two lines. I think it has gone up to $70 for new accounts, but we're grandfathered into $60.

Thank you. That’s the frictionless kind of plan I’m looking for and I like that T-Mobile has storefronts, which we’ve grown accustomed to with Verizon. $70/month is about $30/month cheaper than our Verizon unlimited plan, which works overseas but at a $10/day surcharge. DW is 57 and I turn 55 this year so that’s also on target. I’ll check it out.

So your strategy is to manually pay during your last day of service or before and you can accumulate data that way (as opposed to resetting)? The old data doesn't expire? I will have to look into this if this is how you are working it. Thanks!

edit: Found this on the tello site confirming RetiredAndLovingIt's experience. Awesome.

ref: https://tello.com/help_center

-gauss
Yes, if you hover over your renewal date on your dashboard, it will tell you the renewal will happen anytime after 11.00PM and 5.00AM the next day so you can renew on the morning of the actual renewal day. When paying, you can also check the box to get a text 48 hours before renewal is due. Also don't forget you can earn $10 for every referral and they also get $10 when they sign up. I currently have $125 in referral dollars to either pay my bill or I could put it towards a new phone purchase if I wanted.

Now that ATT/CRICKET have added a 2GB data PREPAID cell phone plan to counter the T-MO Connect plan for $15 plus taxes and fees per mo. is anybody considering these?

DW and I use less than 1GB monthly and currently piggyback on DD's family plan paying her $35 monthly for each line and are considering going to the ATT prepaid plan figuring with taxes and fees it will lower our costs at least $20 per mo. total.

Yes just switched all 3 of my Cricket lines to the new plan...new monthly cost of $45 vs. $110 previously.

I'm currently with Verizon on a plan which gives us the usual unlimited talk and text plus 5 GB shared data. I'm using a smart phone and DW a flip phone, so obviously I use 99% of the data.

Because of our RV travel, we (I) need more data and particularly hotspot data. Something like unlimited phone data with at least 10GB (would prefer more) of hotspot data.

Any suggestions?

Tracfone works for my very light usage.
365 Service Days, 1500 Minutes, 1500 Texts, 1.5 GB of Data = $125 / yr

I'm currently with Verizon on a plan which gives us the usual unlimited talk and text plus 5 GB shared data. I'm using a smart phone and DW a flip phone, so obviously I use 99% of the data.

Because of our RV travel, we (I) need more data and particularly hotspot data. Something like unlimited phone data with at least 10GB (would prefer more) of hotspot data.

Any suggestions?

AT&T offers an unlimited LTE "tablet" plan for $35/month...once it is setup in a tablet you can move the SIM to a hotspot.

I bought a SIM already setup & WiFi hotspot off eBay.

I use the above for travel & as backup to my cable broadband at home.

AT&T offers an unlimited LTE "tablet" plan for $35/month...once it is setup in a tablet you can move the SIM to a hotspot.

Thanks!

Could you point me to that eBay source?

Does anyone use Google FI? I’m interested in that plan or learning about other providers that would allow my phone to work with minimum hassle while traveling all around the world.

I've been using Google Fi almost since it was first announced. Since my wife's plan is with StraightTalk, any place one of us doesn't get coverage, the other usually can. I've been very satisfied with the service, and in practice it's usually my phone that gets a signal when her's doesn't.

I'm also interested in this option. We're talking about moving aboard the boat full-time, and tethering through my phone would get tedious after a while.

Interesting tidbit: This was one of the original selling points of Google Fi. The second SIM card for a tablet or WiFi hotspot is free and included in the same plan. In other words, you pay for data at the same rate, and on the same account, whether via phone or hotspot.

But recently they've snuck a "no thethering" clause for that second SIM into their agreement. I don't know what this means for people who'd already set this up, based on the initial advertising. I don't know if they'd enforce it if you did this. And frankly, if I'm paying for the data, I can't imagine why they'd even care which device it was coming through.

So at this point I'd seriously consider other options. But Google Fi still gives me voice over IP automatically, and uses three different carriers, including one (US Cellular) which has good coverage in some of the more remote destinations we go where no other service is available.

Tracfone works for my very light usage.
365 Service Days, 1500 Minutes, 1500 Texts, 1.5 GB of Data = $125 / yr

ITTN, these are the Tracfone cards I've been using. 365 Service Days, 1200 Minutes, 1200 Texts, 3.0 GB of Data for $50. Includes a triple SIM kit for Verizon, AT&T or T-Mobile. You don't have to use the new SIM, the min/txt/data card is separate with a Tracfone code.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tracfone-Prepaid-Wireless-Smartphone-Plan-SIM-1200-Min-1200-Txt-3GB-Data/283493024108?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

We dropped AT&T for $75 a month for our two lines when Comcast came out with their cell phone plan via Verizon.

DH and I share 1GB, and pay $13 a month. Not a piece, that's $13 total a month for two phones. No noticeable drop in quality or service.

You must have Comcast's internet service to get this deal, but don't need cable. We have both and feel like this phone plan helps justify that expense. And now that we're spending so much time at home, we're really getting our money's worth.

I don't use data except via Wi-Fi. I can almost always find free wi-fi. I don't have any urgent needs for data, except for perhaps google maps. I purchased a Garmin instead - $125 with unlimited map updates and traffic monitoring. It will last me several years (my previous Garmin lived 8 years before the connector wore out). For phone service I use pageplus $80 plan (365 days service, 1333 minutes, one text = 1 minute). I learned about pageplus from this site.

That's what we're using too. It mostly works okay here on Lake Norman, but I haven't had the opportunity to test it at our mountain place or while traveling yet.

Have you invested in optional antennas to improve the reception? I've watched YouTubers that have various antennas, but I have only added a pair of 4" little antennas that were about $5 on eBay.

That's what we're using too. It mostly works okay here on Lake Norman, but I haven't had the opportunity to test it at our mountain place or while traveling yet.

Have you invested in optional antennas to improve the reception? I've watched YouTubers that have various antennas, but I have only added a pair of 4" little antennas that were about $5 on eBay.

No, my Netgear hotspot works fine as it is.

BTW, for new customers that $35 plan is now only 25GB/month (hard cap)

We have T-Mobile and there is zero hassle using it all over the world. We've traveled to a dozen countries in the last five years and our phones have always worked the same as at home. When the plane touches down and you turn your phone back on, you immediately get a text from them saying "Welcome to _____".

Unlimited everything (calls, texts, data), and although it's slower than at home, it has been perfectly fine for us. Being over 55, we pay just $60/month for two lines. I think it has gone up to $70 for new accounts, but we're grandfathered into $60.

Of course, as soon as I got excited about T-Mobile, their merger with Sprint went through. Hello Mr. Murphy. Oh well, maybe they’ll still offer that plan in December, when I turn 55.

Of course, as soon as I got excited about T-Mobile, their merger with Sprint went through. Hello Mr. Murphy. Oh well, maybe they’ll still offer that plan in December, when I turn 55.

I thought you said your DW was already 55. Put the account in her name; only the primary account holder has to be 55.

I've been planning to switch to T Mobile for a few months. I couldn't do it when I wanted to as I was in the middle of a refi and wasn't supposed to have any new credit checks.

So, now is the time. I would like to get the Magenta Unlimited Plan for 55+ which would save us over $100 a month from our current Verizon plan. But our son and daughter (both adult) are on our plan. So we plan to switched to the regular Magenta Unlimited Plan with them paying (split between them) the extra amount it costs us over the 55+ plan (still cheaper for them than having their own individual plans).

Then, of course, Covid-19. Is it possible to switch service (we will be bringing iPhones to them that are currently on Verizon) just doing it by phone since can't really go in to a store right now?

Not sure about Tmobile but when we switched our 4 phones, 2 iPhones and 2 android, to Red Pocket we just emailed them and switched out the SIM cards and they worked. No need to go anywhere.

I've been on Republic wireless for at least 5 years, unlimited talk and text for $12.?? a month with all taxes. They have data plans as well but I just use wifi since 90% of the time I am someplace to get free wifi. For maps I download google maps for my area and just keep them on the phone when I'm off line.

Found this on the tello site confirming RetiredAndLovingIt's experience. "Do my phone plan minutes/data roll over from one month to another?
Any unused minutes or data will be lost after 30 days, when your prepaid plan is automatically renewed."

TracFone rolls everything over automatically. "For Basic/Classic service plans, any unused minutes, texts and web/data will not expire as long as any Tracfone service plan is active and in use within any six month period."

Does anyone use Google FI? I’m interested in that plan or learning about other providers that would allow my phone to work with minimum hassle while traveling all around the world.[/QUOTE

I had Google Fi and it dropped a lot of my calls so I switched to T-Mobile and I am pretty happy with the 55 and over plan at $35 per month per line.

Back
Top Bottom