Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2020, 08:30 AM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets
fosterscik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
I've been planning to switch to T Mobile for a few months. I couldn't do it when I wanted to as I was in the middle of a refi and wasn't supposed to have any new credit checks.

So, now is the time. I would like to get the Magenta Unlimited Plan for 55+ which would save us over $100 a month from our current Verizon plan. But our son and daughter (both adult) are on our plan. So we plan to switched to the regular Magenta Unlimited Plan with them paying (split between them) the extra amount it costs us over the 55+ plan (still cheaper for them than having their own individual plans).

Then, of course, Covid-19. Is it possible to switch service (we will be bringing iPhones to them that are currently on Verizon) just doing it by phone since can't really go in to a store right now?
Remember that only one person on a 55+ plan needs to be over 55. My wife and I both have a 55+ plan with Tmobile and we each have one of our kids as the extra line. So 4 of us for $120/month total (we have the old guaranteed rate). You would pay $140
__________________
"Success = talent + luck, while great success = a little more talent + a lot of luck"
Thinking, Fast and Slow, Daniel Kahneman
fosterscik is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2020, 08:32 AM   #62
Moderator
Jerry1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 6,961
I was looking for a new phone. I’m a Sprint customer and phone deals usually involve being a new customer, switching carriers. So I went to Verizon. I was looking for the plan I recalled them to have for seniors. What I found is interesting. They have a plan for 55+ but now it’s only available in Florida. You have to have a Florida billing address. In disbelief, I looked further and found in the FAQ’s that customers that had the plan before they restricted it to only Florida were grandfathered to stay it it. So, they did offer a discount plan for seniors, but they don’t anymore unless you live in Florida.
__________________
Every day when I open my eyes now it feels like a Saturday - David Gray
Jerry1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 10:23 AM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
Thanks for that review. Have you used it while traveling internationally and, if so, was it reliable? More expensive?
I've used Google FI quite a bit internationally. I've used it in about 10 countries and the only one I had any trouble in was Hungary (and I blame my phone at the time since my sister had FI there as well and her phone worked fine). Generally when I've crossed borders it's reconfigured to be on the local network with a couple of minutes. Data rates are the same internationally. I rarely make voice calls so I can't rate that reliability but data and text have worked well for me.
geeky_grrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 01:09 PM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
pb4uski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sarasota, FL & Vermont
Posts: 32,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
I was looking for a new phone. I’m a Sprint customer and phone deals usually involve being a new customer, switching carriers. So I went to Verizon. I was looking for the plan I recalled them to have for seniors. What I found is interesting. They have a plan for 55+ but now it’s only available in Florida. You have to have a Florida billing address. In disbelief, I looked further and found in the FAQ’s that customers that had the plan before they restricted it to only Florida were grandfathered to stay it it. So, they did offer a discount plan for seniors, but they don’t anymore unless you live in Florida.
We have bought unlocked phones that can be used with any GSM or CDMA carrier for our last couple phones. We previously had Motorola G4 ($215) and G4 ($160) Play and last summer upgraded to Motorola Moto G7 Play ($170 each).

We have found these smartphones to be durable and work well for our relatively modest smartphone needs. IOE there is no need to spend $500-$1,000 on a smartphone.

Our AT&T MVNO plan through airvoicewireless includes unlimited talk and text, 1.5GB of high-speed data and 1.5GB of lower-speed data for $18/month on autopay.
__________________
If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 02:36 PM   #65
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
gauss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
I was looking for a new phone. Iím a Sprint customer and phone deals usually involve being a new customer, switching carriers. So I went to Verizon. I was looking for the plan I recalled them to have for seniors. What I found is interesting. They have a plan for 55+ but now itís only available in Florida. You have to have a Florida billing address. In disbelief, I looked further and found in the FAQís that customers that had the plan before they restricted it to only Florida were grandfathered to stay it it. So, they did offer a discount plan for seniors, but they donít anymore unless you live in Florida.
I think T-Mobile has been running a campaign openly mocking them for this policy.
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 10:40 AM   #66
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Sojourner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTFan View Post
AT&T and T-Mo are both now offering $15/mo. prepaid plans with 2GB of data. Plus unspecified taxes and fees. Cheapest I've seen for a mainline service.

https://www.att.com/buy/wireless/prepaid/plans
https://prepaid.t-mobile.com/plan-de...mobile-connect
I was quite interested in switching to this plan, but when I called AT&T to sort out the details, discovered a couple things that were deal breakers.

1) You can't switch to the 2GB $15 plan if you're on a multi-line account. Only available to single line accounts, so can't be combined with multi-line discounts.
2) The rep I talked to said it was a short term promo that would likely expire within a few months. People who switch to this plan now will NOT be grandfathered in when they stop offering it to new customers.

IMHO, not worth the trouble of switching from multi-line to single line (and then back again) just to save $10-15/month for a few months.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 10:59 AM   #67
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
pb4uski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sarasota, FL & Vermont
Posts: 32,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
I was quite interested in switching to this plan, but when I called AT&T to sort out the details, discovered a couple things that were deal breakers.

1) You can't switch to the 2GB $15 plan if you're on a multi-line account. Only available to single line accounts, so can't be combined with multi-line discounts.
2) The rep I talked to said it was a short term promo that would likely expire within a few months. People who switch to this plan now will NOT be grandfathered in when they stop offering it to new customers.

IMHO, not worth the trouble of switching from multi-line to single line (and then back again) just to save $10-15/month for a few months.
On the first part, at $15/month I don't see where the lack of a multi-line discount is a dealbreaker.... $30 for 2 lines or $45 for 3 lines is still a pretty good deal.

On the second part, it sounds like if someone signs up for $15/month it sounds like the $15/month promo price will increase substantially sometime in the next few months... that would be a bait and switch type deal killer for me.

I did have a mild interest in this but I think I'll just stay with my $18/month airvoicewireless plan.
__________________
If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 09:26 AM   #68
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
GTFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 1,404
Multi-line AT&T discounts only make sense if you're using DirecTV or AT&T Now assuming they even apply to those bundles. They don't matter if single lines are cheaper as you said.

And whether the prepaid plan stays the same price is irrelevant to me given how easy it is to port over to another plan that's just as good if not better. Cell phone service w/data is only getting cheaper over time, not more expensive.
GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 10:21 AM   #69
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
HawkeyeNFO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: 5-sided building
Posts: 1,009
We are split in my house, 4 phones on 3 different companies:
2 on Republic for 1G per month at $200/yr
1 on Mint for 8G per month at $20/mo
1 on ATT for 8G per month at $300/yr
HawkeyeNFO is offline   Reply With Quote
2020 cell phone plans
Old 05-19-2020, 06:16 AM   #70
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Markola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Twin Cities
Posts: 3,282
2020 cell phone plans

Finally found something different than Verizon unlimited, for which we were paying $194.04/month for 3 lines (I know, I know but I have now repented.). We switched to Verizonís Visible service, which is unlimited talk, hotspot and LTE data on the Verizon network. There are no storefronts or contracts and all service is done through their app and online chat. So far, so good. Iíve recruited two nieces to complete our party of 4, making each of our lines $25/month. Everyone has their own account and bill, though I chose to auto pay for 3 of the 4 through my PayPal acct. The switchover from Verizon was seamless and fast and I never had to talk with a human.

Visible has no international coverage when we travel but, for that, I think Iíll set up a separate Google FI account and buy two of their Google FI phones. Apparently, one can turn a Google FI account off and keep it dormant, then activate it for as long as needed when traveling internationally.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 08:34 AM   #71
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: South central PA
Posts: 3,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachOrCity View Post
For anyone who has Comcast / Xfinity for home internet and doesn't need unlimited Data, the xfinity mobile plan is one of the best there is.
No per device charge up to 5 devices. All data is shared, so you can put your spouse / kids / parents etc on this plan under your household account.
$12/GB pay as you go / roundup / no rollover
or
$30 for 3GB or $60 / 10GB + $12 per GB / roundup / no rollover

Unlimited data is more normal reseller industry pricing.

No charge for texts and calls

To get this pricing you have to use comcast / xfinity for home internet.
Thanks! We've been shopping for cheaper cell phone plans and this fits the bill.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 08:58 AM   #72
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Coronado
Posts: 3,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
Finally found something different than Verizon unlimited, for which we were paying $194.04/month for 3 lines (I know, I know but I have now repented.). We switched to Verizonís Visible service, which is unlimited talk, hotspot and LTE data on the Verizon network. There are no storefronts or contracts and all service is done through their app and online chat. So far, so good. Iíve recruited two nieces to complete our party of 4, making each of our lines $25/month. Everyone has their own account and bill, though I chose to auto pay for 3 of the 4 through my PayPal acct. The switchover from Verizon was seamless and fast and I never had to talk with a human.

Visible has no international coverage when we travel but, for that, I think Iíll set up a separate Google FI account and buy two of their Google FI phones. Apparently, one can turn a Google FI account off and keep it dormant, then activate it for as long as needed when traveling internationally.
You probably don't need to buy Google Fi phones. Your Verizon phones should work on the networks Google uses.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 03:15 PM   #73
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 734
@Markola, you can pause Google Fi plans for up to 3 months, so about 4 times a year you need to re-pause them again. That sounds like a bit of a hassle.
__________________
FIREd at 59.5 on 2019-01-18
camfused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 12:55 AM   #74
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Katsmeow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
I think T-Mobile has been running a campaign openly mocking them for this policy.
T Mobile has a great video about how ridiculous most carriers plans are for "seniors." The biggest thing is that they often severely limit data and try to sell people on phones that are "simple" to use.

I think that part of what goes on is what is meant by seniors. The typical "senior" plan is done more for people like my late mother. She didn't understand smart phones and didn't use data. Someone like her might want that kind of simple plan with limited data.

On the other hand your typical people in their 60s and even 70s now just use regular smartphones and understand data.

We recently switched to T Mobile from Verizon. It is ending up saving us significantly.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 05:19 AM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
Does anyone use Google FI? Iím interested in that plan or learning about other providers that would allow my phone to work with minimum hassle while traveling all around the world.
I use it.. I have traveled with it to south and central america. Not sure what you mean by providers as i believe google piggy backs on top of tmobile and sprint (now merged). I have only had a few issues and i chose them just because i travel.
lordjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 05:25 AM   #76
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeky_grrl View Post
I've used Google FI quite a bit internationally. I've used it in about 10 countries and the only one I had any trouble in was Hungary (and I blame my phone at the time since my sister had FI there as well and her phone worked fine). Generally when I've crossed borders it's reconfigured to be on the local network with a couple of minutes. Data rates are the same internationally. I rarely make voice calls so I can't rate that reliability but data and text have worked well for me.
I end up bouncing around on WiFi or cell using data per the apps LINE and HANGOUTS (soon to die) if i have want to limit my use of GoogleFI cell. LINE is preferred for me. Just a tip for those of you that travel its .01 per minute.
lordjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 06:19 AM   #77
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Markola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Twin Cities
Posts: 3,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
You probably don't need to buy Google Fi phones. Your Verizon phones should work on the networks Google uses.


Quote:
Originally Posted by camfused View Post
@Markola, you can pause Google Fi plans for up to 3 months, so about 4 times a year you need to re-pause them again. That sounds like a bit of a hassle.


Quote:
Originally Posted by lordjust View Post
I use it.. I have traveled with it to south and central america. Not sure what you mean by providers as i believe google piggy backs on top of tmobile and sprint (now merged). I have only had a few issues and i chose them just because i travel.


Thanks for all the helpful Google FI insights.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 06:42 AM   #78
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
You probably don't need to buy Google Fi phones. Your Verizon phones should work on the networks Google uses.
To be sure, check out:
https://fi.google.com/compatibility

I thought the list was far more limited than it is. But I just went there and it would appear a lot of devices are compatible.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 06:53 AM   #79
Moderator
braumeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Flyover country
Posts: 21,767
On certain iPhones now too:

Quote:
In April, Google started allowing new users to sign up for Google Fi's mobile virtual network service using the eSIM integrated into iPhone XR, XS, XS Max, 11, 11 Pro, 11 Pro Max and 2020 iPhone SE models.

Support for eSIM came with Monday's release of Google Fi version 2.5, which allows users with dual-SIM iPhones to free up the physical SIM slot in their handsets.
https://www.macrumors.com/2020/05/20...ting-ios-subs/
__________________
I thought growing old would take longer.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 06:58 AM   #80
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 15,931
Just checked Mint and the $15 is a promo price... said the regular price is $25 per month...


Not worth it IMO
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anbody know how to use a cell phone for home phone? Texas Proud Other topics 19 05-05-2017 07:31 PM
Cell Phone Plans - Which One do you use and why? ShokWaveRider Other topics 51 01-19-2014 12:04 PM
Best place to get a cell phone / cell phone plan? bank5 Other topics 4 09-18-2009 05:01 AM
Re-activate old cell phone, or keep new phone? thefed Other topics 10 05-09-2009 09:42 PM
Replacing The Landbased Phone With a Cell Phone Danny Other topics 12 11-04-2005 07:12 PM

» Quick Links

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:52 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.