Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-31-2020, 09:25 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEggs View Post
That's what we're using too. It mostly works okay here on Lake Norman, but I haven't had the opportunity to test it at our mountain place or while traveling yet.

Have you invested in optional antennas to improve the reception? I've watched YouTubers that have various antennas, but I have only added a pair of 4" little antennas that were about $5 on eBay.
No, my Netgear hotspot works fine as it is.

BTW, for new customers that $35 plan is now only 25GB/month (hard cap)
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2020, 10:55 AM   #42

Tello customers, check your dashboard. They just doubled all customers existing data and minutes in response to the Virus and the need to keep in touch.
Thank you Tello
RetiredAndLovingIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 02:55 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
We have T-Mobile and there is zero hassle using it all over the world. We've traveled to a dozen countries in the last five years and our phones have always worked the same as at home. When the plane touches down and you turn your phone back on, you immediately get a text from them saying "Welcome to _____".

Unlimited everything (calls, texts, data), and although it's slower than at home, it has been perfectly fine for us. Being over 55, we pay just $60/month for two lines. I think it has gone up to $70 for new accounts, but we're grandfathered into $60.

Of course, as soon as I got excited about T-Mobile, their merger with Sprint went through. Hello Mr. Murphy. Oh well, maybe they’ll still offer that plan in December, when I turn 55.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 03:08 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
Of course, as soon as I got excited about T-Mobile, their merger with Sprint went through. Hello Mr. Murphy. Oh well, maybe they’ll still offer that plan in December, when I turn 55.
I thought you said your DW was already 55. Put the account in her name; only the primary account holder has to be 55.
Old 04-03-2020, 10:03 PM   #45

Thanks. I figured both lines would need to be held by 55+.
Old 04-04-2020, 12:09 AM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've been planning to switch to T Mobile for a few months. I couldn't do it when I wanted to as I was in the middle of a refi and wasn't supposed to have any new credit checks.

So, now is the time. I would like to get the Magenta Unlimited Plan for 55+ which would save us over $100 a month from our current Verizon plan. But our son and daughter (both adult) are on our plan. So we plan to switched to the regular Magenta Unlimited Plan with them paying (split between them) the extra amount it costs us over the 55+ plan (still cheaper for them than having their own individual plans).

Then, of course, Covid-19. Is it possible to switch service (we will be bringing iPhones to them that are currently on Verizon) just doing it by phone since can't really go in to a store right now?
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 07:22 AM   #47

Not sure about Tmobile but when we switched our 4 phones, 2 iPhones and 2 android, to Red Pocket we just emailed them and switched out the SIM cards and they worked. No need to go anywhere.
Old 04-04-2020, 06:27 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been on Republic wireless for at least 5 years, unlimited talk and text for $12.?? a month with all taxes. They have data plans as well but I just use wifi since 90% of the time I am someplace to get free wifi. For maps I download google maps for my area and just keep them on the phone when I'm off line.
nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 06:08 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
Found this on the tello site confirming RetiredAndLovingIt's experience. "Do my phone plan minutes/data roll over from one month to another?
Any unused minutes or data will be lost after 30 days, when your prepaid plan is automatically renewed."
TracFone rolls everything over automatically. "For Basic/Classic service plans, any unused minutes, texts and web/data will not expire as long as any Tracfone service plan is active and in use within any six month period."
rayvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 09:00 PM   #50
Confused about dryer sheets

[QUOTE=Markola;2399825]Does anyone use Google FI? I’m interested in that plan or learning about other providers that would allow my phone to work with minimum hassle while traveling all around the world.[/QUOTE

I had Google Fi and it dropped a lot of my calls so I switched to T-Mobile and I am pretty happy with the 55 and over plan at $35 per month per line.
Jayly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 09:07 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

If you plan to change carriers, do ask your neighbors about the coverage in your area. One daughter mentioned that AT&T coverage was lousy at an in-law's house. The coverage maps are rarely detailed enough to see how good the coverage is on your block so ask locally.
papaof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Google Fi
Old 04-11-2020, 09:40 AM   #52
Dryer sheet wannabe

Google Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
Does anyone use Google FI? I’m interested in that plan or learning about other providers that would allow my phone to work with minimum hassle while traveling all around the world.
We have use Google Fi since 2016 and love it. We have been in the Western States and usually, if a signal for any phone is available, our phones work. Their pricing structure is competitive.
Aaron
AaronGoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 11:58 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronGoodman View Post
We have use Google Fi since 2016 and love it. We have been in the Western States and usually, if a signal for any phone is available, our phones work. Their pricing structure is competitive.

Aaron

Thanks for that review. Have you used it while traveling internationally and, if so, was it reliable? More expensive?
Old 04-11-2020, 03:32 PM   #54
Dryer sheet wannabe

Sorry, I haven't travelled internationally with it, however, that is their strongest selling point and was from inception.
AaronGoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 03:33 PM   #55

I don't think Google Fi charges any more when travelling. We've used it abroad just fine, and have been on it for years. Wouldn't consider anything else these days.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 04:20 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

We use Google Fi for traveling as well. And only for travelling. It works fantastically. I have a Pixel phone so not sure if that helps or not.

When I'm back in the states I switch to our Verizon family plan. Then when I travel switch to Google Fi. It is all done within the phone, no need to call anyone or go into a store. IIRC Google Fi does require you to get on their plan every 6 months or something, don't recall the exact length. I haven't been in the states long enough to find out. The current environment may require me to look into it, as I don't think I'm leaving the borders anytime soon.
SoReady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 06:32 PM   #57

^ Interesting strategy. I didn't realize that you could turn on the Google FI only when you are travelling abroad. Thanks.
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 06:35 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes. My pixel 3 has an e-sim.The other physical sim is the Verizon, so essentially the phone has 2 sims. just toggle them back and forth through some settings.
Old 04-11-2020, 07:03 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoReady View Post
Yes. My pixel 3 has an e-sim.The other physical sim is the Verizon, so essentially the phone has 2 sims. just toggle them back and forth through some settings.

So do you do GoogleFi pay as you go and a regular Verizon contract, or is VZ pay as you go too?
Old 04-12-2020, 08:21 AM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

I only pay as you go on the Google Fi, when we are traveling international. The Verizon is a monthly bill for a family plan. So I suppose I'm paying for a service I'm not using when we are traveling international, but not a big deal. When I return from international travel I "pause" the Google Fi and switch the service back to Verizon. Google Fi does not continue charging when it is paused. I now remember that Google Fi will automatically start up after X months, which I think is 6. When that happens I will need to just pause it again.