Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-09-2021, 10:07 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

e filed yesterday. First year we expect a refund both State and Fed in many, many years.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2021, 10:45 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

We e-filed both Federal and MN State taxes on 2/27, with direct deposit of refunds. State refund arrived 3/4 and Federal arrived today 3/9.

We're very happy because we are still waiting for our 2019 Federal refund. A stupid $18 error required an amended return (paper filing only) and it could take another 2-3 months to reconcile everything. We were concerned that those issues would delay our 2020 refund.
BrianB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 11:00 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

E-filed with HR Block software 2/15 and it was accepted the same day. Expecting a refund but nothing yet. When I check my refund status on IRS site it says my return is still being processed and a refund date will be provided when available.
Old 03-09-2021, 11:58 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by wompo View Post
E-filed with HR Block software 2/15 and it was accepted the same day. Expecting a refund but nothing yet. When I check my refund status on IRS site it says my return is still being processed and a refund date will be provided when available.
This is similar to my situation. My HR Block return was accepted on 2/23, with an email stating my refund would be deposited in 3-5 days. So far, nothing.

Now... the state is a different issue. In that instance I quite owed quite a bit of money, and they withdrew the full amount from my bank account on the scheduled date.
It's a terrible thing, I think, in life to wait until you're ready. I have this feeling now that actually no one is ever ready to do anything. There is almost no such thing as ready. There is only now. And you may as well do it now. Generally speaking, now is as good a time as any. - Hugh Laurie
mistermike40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 01:14 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Filed Feb 24, accepted the same day. Refund hit bank on 3/5.
foxcreek9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 01:29 PM   #26
Administrator

I filed for my mum on 2/23 and the refund appeared today in her bank account.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 01:56 PM   #27

This looks promising. e-filed on 2/19.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg irscheck.jpg (39.3 KB, 38 views)
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 02:55 PM   #28

I e-filed yesterday. I authorized the IRS to snag the money from my account on April 14.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 02:57 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Got my refund two days ago. Too bad its all going to the quarterly IRS payment in April.
dmpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 10:57 PM   #30

Got my refund in three days. I filed and my return was approved on Tuesday (3/9) and the refund is showing as a pending transaction in my account on Friday (3/12).

I rolled forward most of my return, but I thought it best to get some refund so that the Government would have my routing/account number in case they want to give me any more stimulus money in the future.

ETA: The refund cleared today (3/17). That's the kind of green I like on St Paddy's day.
Old 03-13-2021, 04:52 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

2020 Tax Refund Yet?

Has anyone gotten their 2020 tax refund yet? If so, how long did you wait? Mine was electronically accepted nearly a month ago. The check your status app just says "being processed". The past three years, I have gotten my refund in less than two weeks.
LXEX55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 06:27 AM   #32

Yep, our return was received by the IRS on 3/5, and our direct deposit arrived 3/12...and even showed up as pending on 3/11. But our stimulus payment hasn't; we are eligible for a partial payment based on our 2020 AGI, so they should have had that in the system on 3/5, but we would NOT be eligible based on our 2019 AGI. So we'll see if it shows up next week. But at least we got a nice big refund based on 1) lower income than usual, and 2) the remainder of the stimulus payments that we missed because they had been based on our 2019 AGI.
Old 03-16-2021, 11:35 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by LXEX55 View Post
Has anyone gotten their 2020 tax refund yet? If so, how long did you wait? Mine was electronically accepted nearly a month ago. The check your status app just says "being processed". The past three years, I have gotten my refund in less than two weeks.

I filed 2/15 and it was accepted same day. Im still waiting for refund. Check my status app just keeps saying being processed. My theory is that Im getting ACA money back and that is holding things up since Nevada runs their own exchange? Not really interested in calling IRS to see what they say.
Old 03-16-2021, 11:40 AM   #34

My DD efiled 2/27. Her refund didn't show up until yesterday. My simple one took 4 days, her more complicated one took 2 weeks.
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 12:21 PM   #35

Waiting to file on Wednesday. Supposed to get the stimulus check then. I think we would be OK, just don't want to jinx it. We had an exceptional 2020...
Surewhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 02:21 PM   #36
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Filed my Federal and State via Turbo Tax(online version) and the Federal has already been accepted. Just 30 minutes after submitting it. Hope State goes through w/o a hitch. My refunds are minor so applied to estimated tax payments for 2021.

First time I've filed electronically in 3 or 4 years. Got away from it due to ID theft concerns but with everything else already out there.... why worry about this one.
Old 03-16-2021, 02:29 PM   #37
Dryer sheet wannabe

Getting a tax refund is ..well...wonderful. Is there a need to let strangers know? Is ER that boring? What's next?... Announcing you have a bowel movement? lol
JoPeter57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 04:01 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoPeter57 View Post
Getting a tax refund is ..well...wonderful. Is there a need to let strangers know? Is ER that boring? What's next?... Announcing you have a bowel movement? lol
You bored enough to open a thread on refunds?
Old 03-16-2021, 04:33 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoPeter57 View Post
I started this thread to give an idea for others how quickly they might receive theirs. I thought it might be useful. If you pull down "Thread tools" you'll find "Ignore this thread" so you'll never be bothered when this pops up again.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 04:40 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
Last year I e-filed on 3/7 and received our refund on 3/16. This year I e-filed on the same date. It will be interesting to compare the turnaround time.

Update: IRS site now shows status as approved and refund scheduled for 3/24. Eight days later as compared to last year. Not as bad as I thought it would be.