Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-22-2021, 11:44 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

I guess I'm going to have to start e-filing like most on here seem to do.

I sent my 22 page federal return in on March 1st, stopping by the post office first to make sure the two stamps I put on the envelope were of adequate postage. Post office clerk says it will cost 95 cents to send so my two stamps already affixed are good. Fast forward to Friday of last week and there in my mailbox is the envelope, returned to sender asking for another fifty cents postage due.

Another trip to the post office and the clerk says, no, the 95 cents was adequate and the correct amount due and blames their blunder in sending it back on short staffing and inadequate training. I did repackage it in another envelope this time since the other one was beat up from the round trip.

The PO clerk was very apologetic and slipped my envelope into a USPS envelope with that post office as the return address, and stamped the package as paid in full with no additional cost from me.

He said if it came back again, he would report it to the postmaster general.

So I already lost three weeks.

I sure hope getting my refund goes a lot smoother once it finally reaches the IRS.
freedomatlast is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2021, 11:45 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomatlast View Post
I guess I'm going to have to start e-filing like most on here seem to do.

I sent my 22 page federal return in on March 1st, stopping by the post office first to make sure the two stamps I put on the envelope were of adequate postage. Post office clerk says it will cost 95 cents to send so my two stamps already affixed are good. Fast forward to Friday of last week and there in my mailbox is the envelope, returned to sender asking for another fifty cents postage due.

Another trip to the post office and the clerk says, no, the 95 cents was adequate and the correct amount due and blames their blunder in sending it back on short staffing and inadequate training. I did repackage it in another envelope this time since the other one was beat up from the round trip.

The PO clerk was very apologetic and slipped my envelope into a USPS envelope with that post office as the return address, and stamped the package as paid in full with no additional cost from me.

He said if it came back again, he would report it to the postmaster general.

So I already lost three weeks.

I sure hope getting my refund goes a lot smoother once it finally reaches the IRS.
Why do you paper file??
gayl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 12:29 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayl View Post
Why do you paper file??
My current laptop has Windows 7 and as far as I could tell, all tax programs this year required Windows 10 to work as intended.

Also, I like to really understand how everything works and inter-relates in the tax forms and what effects various changes will make from schedule to schedule and form to form. Doing the return by hand really brings this to light quickly.
freedomatlast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 12:32 PM   #44

Oh. I must be really lazy. I just do it with the app on my smart phone. I can shift any number and see the corresponding reaction in total taxes
gayl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 01:38 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayl View Post
Why do you paper file??
I did it for a few years because I was mad that the tax prep companies are charging me for something that makes processing my return MUCH easier for the government, but it didn't take long for me to realize that the only one I was making things harder for was myself! I still am het up that they don't PAY US to e-file, or at least offer it for free. Processing paper forms is very labor intensive.
Old 03-22-2021, 02:22 PM   #46
Administrator

I still paper file. I know exactly what is on the paper when I sign my name to it. I have no clue what is in the computer file that gets e-filed with the IRS. I am not inclined to give them more than the bare minimum of information that the law requires.
Old 03-22-2021, 03:06 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
Update: IRS site now shows status as approved and refund scheduled for 3/24. Eight days later as compared to last year. Not as bad as I thought it would be.
Good to know Jolly. Our return was filed and accepted on 3/12. If I replicate your 2020 return experience I would expect a deposit on or about 3/29, although day of the week could tweak the day a bit.
Old 03-22-2021, 06:56 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomatlast View Post
My current laptop has Windows 7 and as far as I could tell, all tax programs this year required Windows 10 to work as intended.

Also, I like to really understand how everything works and inter-relates in the tax forms and what effects various changes will make from schedule to schedule and form to form. Doing the return by hand really brings this to light quickly.

I use to do my taxes by hand on paper until I was up against the dreaded Form 1116, Foreign Tax Credit and the AMT worksheet(s). After that it was Turbo Tax all the way. The tax code is amazingly complex, the computer lets you run what-if scenarios using last years returns.
dmpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 09:47 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cosmic Avenger View Post
Yep, our return was received by the IRS on 3/5, and our direct deposit arrived 3/12...and even showed up as pending on 3/11. But our stimulus payment hasn't; we are eligible for a partial payment based on our 2020 AGI, so they should have had that in the system on 3/5, but we would NOT be eligible based on our 2019 AGI. So we'll see if it shows up next week. But at least we got a nice big refund based on 1) lower income than usual, and 2) the remainder of the stimulus payments that we missed because they had been based on our 2019 AGI.
Well, our stimulus payment showed up today! Now I kind of wish I had waited on our taxes, though, since our AGI was $153K and change, and that reduced our stimulus payment by $3K! I would have spent some more time trying to generate another $3K in deductions before 4/15 if I had known that the cutoff was going to be $150K....but then again, I'm not sure it would be worth the trouble, we really didn't NEED the stimulus. We'll definitely spend it supporting our local restaurants, though!
Old 03-23-2021, 12:34 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cosmic Avenger View Post
Well, our stimulus payment showed up today! Now I kind of wish I had waited on our taxes, though, since our AGI was $153K and change, and that reduced our stimulus payment by $3K! I would have spent some more time trying to generate another $3K in deductions before 4/15 if I had known that the cutoff was going to be $150K....but then again, I'm not sure it would be worth the trouble, we really didn't NEED the stimulus. We'll definitely spend it supporting our local restaurants, though!
Well if it is like the 2020 return reconciliation, I think you can claim a partial amount withheld at the time that you file your 2021 return.
Old 03-23-2021, 03:57 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

I e-filed my FED on Thursday 3/18, refund was deposited today. Yippee!
ocean view is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 03:51 PM   #52
Administrator

A data point for those who filed by paper. I sent my return by certified mail on Friday, 2/19/21. The USPS tracking service says it was delivered to IRS Ogden on Monday, 2/22/21. Today, I received the return post-card which is stamped 3/4/21. So it looks like it is taking them about 10 days just to open the mail. As of yesterday 3/29/21, the IRS "Where's my refund?" tool did not have any information for me. My conclusion is that it is taking them longer than 25 days to go from mail opening to getting the return into the system.
Old 04-07-2021, 04:37 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Just as a follow up. I got my refund yesterday. Electronic filing Feb 15th, so 7 weeks to get it.
Old 04-07-2021, 05:31 PM   #54
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

DFs refund was deposited today. I’m pretty sure his tax preparer eFiled around March 24 or so.

That was fast!
Old 04-07-2021, 05:37 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm in the same boat. Sent ours about 2/15, kicking myself that I didn't send it certified. Nothing on IRS site. I would have e-filed but I have one QBI form that turbo tax and/or IRS won't do electronically.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
A data point for those who filed by paper. I sent my return by certified mail on Friday, 2/19/21. The USPS tracking service says it was delivered to IRS Ogden on Monday, 2/22/21. Today, I received the return post-card which is stamped 3/4/21. So it looks like it is taking them about 10 days just to open the mail. As of yesterday 3/29/21, the IRS "Where's my refund?" tool did not have any information for me. My conclusion is that it is taking them longer than 25 days to go from mail opening to getting the return into the system.
Old Today, 01:01 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

E-filed both today and both were accepted in 2 hours. Both had refunds and both refunds were applied to this years taxes.

Woo-hoo, less dough to send out tomorrow!
Old Today, 08:46 AM   #57
Full time employment: Posting here.

Received my Fed refund, and it had $3k more than expected. Got a letter a few days later that showed they changed my return to add an additional $3k credit to taxes paid. I don't know where it came from as there were no details, and I checked 2019 and 2020 again to make sure I did not meet stimulus income level (too high), so still confused.

IDK, will just hold it and repay if they come back later I guess.
Old Today, 09:13 AM   #58

Filed 6-7 weeks ago and only received GA refund, not Fed. No stimulus checks either. Pretty sure it's because of the backdoor ACA changes for 2020, IRS is still trying to fix it so that we won't have an APTC underpayment penalty (I filed before the law was passed). Lack of 2020 return finalized means no stimulus checks.

That's my working theory, I'm not concerned about it.
GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:44 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger8693 View Post
Received my Fed refund, and it had $3k more than expected. Got a letter a few days later that showed they changed my return to add an additional $3k credit to taxes paid. I don't know where it came from as there were no details, and I checked 2019 and 2020 again to make sure I did not meet stimulus income level (too high), so still confused.

IDK, will just hold it and repay if they come back later I guess.
Does the additional refund amount equal your 2020 Form 8962 line 27 or line 29? If so it may be due to a provision in ARPA about APTC repayment forgiveness.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:51 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

I sent in "paper return ~5 weeks ago.. USPS tracking said they got it in about 3 days... Still no indication it's has been, or is being, processed...