Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-05-2021, 05:41 PM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I finally got a letter today explaining, in not so many words, that they're missing a 1095A. The exchange never sent one, so I get to go down that rabbit hole on Monday.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2021, 05:48 PM   #122
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
I finally got a letter today explaining, in not so many words, that they're missing a 1095A. The exchange never sent one, so I get to go down that rabbit hole on Monday.
That is why the 1095A should be a filing requirement for the tax user. Then the middleman is taken out of the equation.
Old 06-05-2021, 06:11 PM   #123
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
That is why the 1095A should be a filing requirement for the tax user. Then the middleman is taken out of the equation.
Yeah, they pretty much imply that you're supposed to just copy the numbers over from the 1095As that the marketplace sends you (and copies to the IRS, of course).

I knew the 1095A never showed up, but when I called the marketplace before I didn't get anywhere with them. "Are you sure?" "It should be there" "We don't see a problem" etc.

Since it was an exchange policy for my tax dependent and I paid the premiums, I went ahead and added the numbers for both the premiums and the applicable SLCSP in the proper rows on my 8962 because I thought I was entitled to the PTC.

At this point I probably have to either get the marketplace to issue a 1095A (unlikely since they didn't do it in January like they should have), or discover some glitch in the matrix that means my offspring's ACA policy doesn't count for some reason, and/or just give up and lose the PTC for that policy. Filing an amended return in the latter two cases I guess.

Normally it's easy, but in this tax year my dependent moved away to college, so we decided to get them their own ACA policy there and take them off my policy. That part nearly took an act of God as well.

Now I get to argue, debate, and fight with my state marketplace people and my friends at the IRS. What a pain in the rear.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
Old 06-06-2021, 08:52 AM   #124
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This is the first time my refund has ever been held up. Electronically filed immediately after the ACA update was fixed in the tax software, it was processing and the converted to "still processing" mode which I assume means something triggered a further look. Been checking the mail box wondering if they needed something. Not sure if there is a set amount of time one should wait before calling given how backlogged they are.
karen1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 08:21 AM   #125
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
At this point I probably have to either get the marketplace to issue a 1095A (unlikely since they didn't do it in January like they should have), or discover some glitch in the matrix that means my offspring's ACA policy doesn't count for some reason, and/or just give up and lose the PTC for that policy. Filing an amended return in the latter two cases I guess.
Emphasis added.

Well, it turns out that the mistake was mine.

My offspring's ACA policy was a catastrophic plan (we picked the cheapest thing and they're under 30). My marketplace tells me they don't issue 1095A forms for catastrophic policies. And with good reason, as apparently PTC doesn't apply to catastrophic plans.

So I need to file an amended return. I think. The letter says not to, but I know my return is in error. Calling the IRS now.
Old 06-12-2021, 08:42 AM   #126
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen1972 View Post
This is the first time my refund has ever been held up. Electronically filed immediately after the ACA update was fixed in the tax software, it was processing and the converted to "still processing" mode which I assume means something triggered a further look. Been checking the mail box wondering if they needed something. Not sure if there is a set amount of time one should wait before calling given how backlogged they are.
I also filed right after ACA update in Turbo tax. Just this morning, 'check my refund' reports refund approved, and should be deposited this week. I had strange results this year via Turbo tax, $1 penalty? Due to estimated taxes late I guess, though think I did that right but honestly well worth $1 not to have to fill in form 2210. And the ACA no clawback of tax credit seemed like it might trigger some kind of extra IRS time. I hope you have some positive info on your refund status.
Old 06-12-2021, 09:19 AM   #127
Administrator

Making a little more progress. "Where's my Refund" now says my refund is approved and a check will be mailed to me next week. It is for a tiny bit (0.5%) more than I expected, so either I made a mistake somewhere or it includes some interest.
Old 06-12-2021, 09:34 AM   #128

Also today saw refund approved, after filing in April when the ACA update was done. They must have processed a big batch of those.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 09:50 AM   #129

Aw man I was super excited seeing all these posts, so went to check, no such luck. Hopefully next week.
karen1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 09:54 AM   #130
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Making a little more progress. "Where's my Refund" now says my refund is approved and a check will be mailed to me next week. It is for a tiny bit (0.5%) more than I expected, so either I made a mistake somewhere or it includes some interest.
I would bet that the tiny bit more is equal to 3% non-compounded interest on your refund amount starting April 15th.

ETA: In fact, 3% / 0.5% = 6. 12 months / 6 = 2 months. Two months after April 15 is June 15th, which is next Tuesday.
Old 06-12-2021, 10:09 AM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen1972 View Post
Aw man I was super excited seeing all these posts, so went to check, no such luck. Hopefully next week.
Made me check too, but no luck so far.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 01:59 PM   #132

E-filed May 17, still "being processed."
ncbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 09:38 AM   #133

Quote:
I would bet that the tiny bit more is equal to 3% non-compounded interest on your refund amount starting April 15th.

ETA: In fact, 3% / 0.5% = 6. 12 months / 6 = 2 months. Two months after April 15 is June 15th, which is next Tuesday.
Ours is also a tiny bit more...I have not done the math yet but the above sounds right.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 01:16 PM   #134

Checked mine today after all the posts of success. No luck, "Still Being Processed". Drat!
Old 06-21-2021, 04:39 PM   #135
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I finally received my refund check today. The extra 0.46% was indeed interest. I initially mailed my return in on 2/19.

Even more good news now that they have finally processed our return is that we may now get the $1400 third stimulus payment, since we qualify based on 2020 income, but did not based on 2019. If I recall correctly, there is some kind of true up mechanism to make that happen.
Old 06-22-2021, 11:17 AM   #136
Recycles dryer sheets

Efiled 4/17 after the TurboTax update…still waiting, darn it!
COHgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 12:00 PM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by COHgirl View Post
Efiled 4/17 after the TurboTax update…still waiting, darn it!
Filed by mailed paper return about February 24. My return is "Still Being Porcessed"!
Old 06-22-2021, 01:39 PM   #138
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4legsgood View Post
I also filed right after ACA update in Turbo tax. Just this morning, 'check my refund' reports refund approved, and should be deposited this week. I had strange results this year via Turbo tax, $1 penalty? Due to estimated taxes late I guess, though think I did that right but honestly well worth $1 not to have to fill in form 2210. And the ACA no clawback of tax credit seemed like it might trigger some kind of extra IRS time. I hope you have some positive info on your refund status.
I filed right before it was corrected and thought I might have to file an amended return. I was thrilled to get a refund today for the corrected subsidy credit without having to do a thing. Whew!
Old 06-23-2021, 07:45 AM   #139
Recycles dryer sheets

Receiving my 2020 refund was much more anticlimactic than I expected. I filed electronically on Feb 18th. I received a letter from the IRS in May wanting me to confirm my identity online (which I did). My refund hit my checking account on June 18th. The refund was small, but the reason I wanted to see it was to get confirmation that everything I did on my tax return was correct. 2020 was my first year of full retirement, which included a lot of financial first for me (converting funds from IRA to Roth, self funded HSA, paying quarterly taxes, etc.). I thought when/if I received the refund I would have this huge feeling of relief (that everything I did tax wise was correct). no such feeling and no one else (including DW) cared. Sharing on here is about as much celebration as I get. Woohoo.
Old 06-23-2021, 02:02 PM   #140
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sent mine in on 3/19, and still no acknowledgement that its been received. Tried calling but the number that I used to use to get a live person but it has now changed so you can only use it if you have filed a 1040X that they have a record of.

Would anyone please share the number and prompts they used to get a live person?
freedomatlast is offline   Reply With Quote