Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-26-2021, 05:05 PM   #141
Confused about dryer sheets

Don't know if it works or not but you can try....
https://lifehacker.com/how-to-talk-t...ing-1842128259
Good luck,
Mike
NM_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2021, 08:56 PM   #142
Full time employment: Posting here.

We electronically signed ours on 6/16, just under the wire of the extension the CPA had filed. As soon as I signed, I went to the mailbox and it was a bit of a surprise to find a refund check from the IRS. Now that is efficiency!

Turns out our CPA had accidentally filed an incorrect, unapproved and unsigned version a month earlier. She had some details wrong like we hadn't actually wanted the refund check at all, we wanted it rolled to cover Roth conversions we will make in 2021. Put us in a bind on the estimated taxes. So we won't be using that CPA any more.
Exchme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 05:16 AM   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM_Mike View Post
Don't know if it works or not but you can try....
https://lifehacker.com/how-to-talk-t...ing-1842128259
Good luck,
Mike
Thanks. I found that on another site. Tried on and off most of the day Thursday and Friday and after going through all of the prompts, it says they're too busy to take your call, call back later and promptly hangs up on you. Such a pleasure dealing with the inadequacies of the IRS.
freedomatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 07:42 AM   #144
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

IRS.gov website still says "being processed", but a new things has happened. I got a letter from the IRS asking me to either go online, or call, or go in person to an IRS office, to "verify my identity" before they can issue my refund. I tried going online and it has a lot of intrusive questions, even asks for the last 8 numbers in a credit card. Didn't want to give out that info, so I tried calling the phone number instead, which doesn't require giving out the credit card number, and it always says "due to extremely high call volume, please try later". I've tried 5 times already, same thing. Thought I would try the online version again, since there was an option to use a mortgage account instead of your credit card number. Now it wants me to create an account with the IRS, which I do not want to do. So I am back to phoning in and getting the "call back later" response. Sigh. I would hate to bother an IRS rep in person, but maybe I will do that. I just hope they don't insist on having the last 8 numbers of my credit card. Or make me create an account with them.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 07:20 AM   #145

Well, after 47 calls over the last 4 workdays, I finally got through to a human at the IRS using the instructions in the link provided by NM_MIKE. Thanks NM_MIKE! They still don't have a record of receiving my return, but they instructed me NOT to send it in again. If they don't receive it after an unidentified period of time, I was told I will get a letter requesting me to re-send it in at that time. All I can do at this time is forget about it for awhile.
Old 06-29-2021, 10:20 AM   #146

I'm seriously considering doing nothing at this point, except waiting, for my $600 stimulus payment. Even though the IRS says I have to verify my identity, for a check in my name, mailed to my address, that hasn't changed in years. Maybe in about 12 months from now, they will say "hey, who's this guy who wants $600?" and verify my identity themselves, and just mail me the check. One can hope. Or, plan B, which just wait for 6 months until they finally answer the phone!
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 11:26 AM   #147

OMG, I just checked and it shows my refund has been approved!
It says "Your tax refund is scheduled to be sent to your bank by June 30, 2021."

My taxes were e-filed on March 26th.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 06:16 AM   #148

Well, for those following my plight, here's an update:

Thursday of this week the IRS site showed they were finally "processing" my return, and Friday it showed "refund approved". That has to be the fasted time I've ever seen between processing and approved, especially for a 20 something page, somewhat complex return, but I'm not complaining.

So, for those still waiting, hang in there, there is hope.
Old 07-04-2021, 08:31 AM   #149
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via Yahoo to lem1955
I file my taxes using Turbo Tax each year. I file a federal, Vermont and California return. This year I expected and received refunds from VT and CA. I filed for a significant refund from the IRS, half of which I asked they apply to my 2021 taxes and the other half to refund to my bank account. I filed the federal return 3/14 and received an acceptance on 3/16. Since then, I’ve received nothing and using IRS2Go I get the standard reply - "still processing you will receive a refund date later”.

After I filed, I received a late K1 from an inheritance. I ran the amended returns in Turbo Tax and estimate I will owe $151 to VT, $46 to CA and $1,671 to the IRS (which is less than half the refund I filed for originally). I read in Turbo Tax that I shouldn’t file amended returns until I receive the responses to the original filings. I haven’t yet filed any of them.

I’m thinking that I should file the amended returns for the two states and still hold off on the federal. Do you agree?
Old 07-05-2021, 01:50 PM   #150
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

They may be having problems getting the refunds mailed/deposited, but they managed to cash my check in less than a week.
Old 07-09-2021, 04:49 PM   #151

Thanks for this thread I didn't feel the need to call, but started checking every Friday and today.. its my turn, says refund coming next week with a bit extra.

So now my question.. next year when they ask what my refund was as a security question, do you use the refund you filed or the refund you received?
karen1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 05:28 PM   #152
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen1972 View Post
Thanks for this thread I didn't feel the need to call, but started checking every Friday and today.. its my turn, says refund coming next week with a bit extra.

So now my question.. next year when they ask what my refund was as a security question, do you use the refund you filed or the refund you received?
The refund you filed.

The bit extra is interest, and it's taxable interest income to you, so make sure to report it on your 2021 return (Schedule B or on the main 1040, as applicable).
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote