Join Early Retirement Today

2020 form 709
Old 12-11-2020, 07:32 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

2020 form 709

The IRS had just released the 2020 form 709 for gifts. The instructions are still in draft form. The gift I made was well below the limit, and there was a part of me that would think, "how will they find out?".
I would rather file the form than worry
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2020, 09:13 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well below the $15,000 limit? Why would you bother?
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 09:32 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, below $15,000 no reporting needed.
Old 12-11-2020, 10:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Well below the $15,000 limit? Why would you bother?
it was well over $100,000, but well below the 11 Mil limit.
Sorry I was not clearer on which limit.
Old 12-12-2020, 02:18 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
The IRS had just released the 2020 form 709 for gifts. The instructions are still in draft form. The gift I made was well below the limit, and there was a part of me that would think, "how will they find out?".
I would rather file the form than worry
Quote:
it was well over $100,000, but well below the 11 Mil limit.
Sorry I was not clearer on which limit.
OK, I see what you mean now. We are also filing 2020 forms 709 - one for each of us as we are treating the gifts as coming from both. That $11M+ estate exemption applies to individuals.

No, there is no easy way for them to find out. Yet it hadn’t occurred to us not to file. I expect some don’t, just like other obscure tax declarations.
Old 12-12-2020, 08:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
OK, I see what you mean now. We are also filing 2020 forms 709 - one for each of us as we are treating the gifts as coming from both. That $11M+ estate exemption applies to individuals.

No, there is no easy way for them to find out. Yet it hadnít occurred to us not to file. I expect some donít, just like other obscure tax declarations.
Remember, any transfer over $10K has to be reported by the bank to the IRS as potential money laundering, and even lower but frequent transfers can be flagged, so you can't just do $9K every day (or, probably, every month, even) to get around the reporting requirements. So while I don't think the IRS is necessarily looking for it, I would expect that if they did at some point, they could easily find most gift transfers/checks. Although now I guess the important question is, how long do they keep that information?
Old 12-12-2020, 08:17 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Same boat here (>15k) but I'm filing... Would they find out if I didn't? Probably not. Would it really make a difference in the long term? Probably not since I'm never going to hit the upper lifetime limits... But I try to follow the rules when I can, at least I have so far!

I need to look at the new form/instructions since the old one sure looked intimidating to me... Looks like it was designed for rich people and their accountants and not us lowly DIY millionaires.
Old 12-12-2020, 08:17 AM   #8

Quote:

No, there is no easy way for them to find out. Yet it hadnít occurred to us not to file. I expect some donít, just like other obscure tax declarations.
If one half of the gifts comes from each of you, then you can file a joint form 709 instead of filing two forms. You just check the box to indicate the 50/50 split, enter both spouse's SSNs and both sign.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 08:21 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cosmic Avenger View Post
Remember, any transfer over $10K has to be reported by the bank to the IRS as potential money laundering, and even lower but frequent transfers can be flagged, so you can't just do $9K every day (or, probably, every month, even) to get around the reporting requirements. So while I don't think the IRS is necessarily looking for it, I would expect that if they did at some point, they could easily find most gift transfers/checks. Although now I guess the important question is, how long do they keep that information?
Well they can certainly find transfers. How do they determine gifts?
Old 12-12-2020, 08:23 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
If one half of the gifts comes from each of you, then you can file a joint form 709 instead of filing two forms. You just check the box to indicate the 50/50 split, enter both spouse's SSNs and both sign.
I read the IRS stuff and it said that each of us had to file a 709, because each of us has an estate exemption limit that we are gifting against.
Old 12-12-2020, 08:36 AM   #11

Quote:
I read the IRS stuff and it said that each of us had to file a 709, because each of us has an estate exemption limit that we are gifting against.
You're right. I just read the instructions, and I see that when we did this years ago, we actually met the exception criteria so we only had to file one return. If you don't qualify, then you do have to file separate returns.
Old 12-12-2020, 08:39 AM   #12

Quote:
Well they can certainly find transfers. How do they determine gifts?
I'm just saying, if there is a reason for them to look back, they might be able to find the total, and then it might be on us to prove that we were, say, paying our adult child(ren) for something rather than gifting money. If it wasn't declared as income, there's no rental agreement between payer and payee, and there's no promissory note, it would be hard to argue that it's not a gift....I can't imagine any other reasons for transfers that aren't gifts off the top of my head.
Old 12-12-2020, 09:12 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I thought that was cash? In any case I would definitely report anything over $10K. When I think of things that could derail retirement but are easily avoided, tax fraud is up there. Not worth it.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 08:22 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I thought that was cash? In any case I would definitely report anything over $10K. When I think of things that could derail retirement but are easily avoided, tax fraud is up there. Not worth it.
Yes, I think thatís cash deposits. There is also a reporting requirement for international transfers (received?) over $10K.
Old 12-12-2020, 09:59 PM   #15

Quote:

It should be noted that this is mostly a problem for your executor, as the reconcilliation will not come due till the time a form 706 is due (the estate tax form) (Unless you exceed 11 million in gifts before then but then a good tax professional is likely involved)
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 09:32 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
The banks report cash transfers, not checks.
Gill
Gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 07:42 PM   #17

I just filled out the 709, but will not mail it in until March. It is for a substantial sum (6 figures). I am slightly paranoid about the IRS, having had to respond to 2 previous letters from them.
Are they going to come at me to ask where I got the money from (I have the documentation), or am I just worrying too much?
Old 01-16-2021, 09:56 AM   #18

Quote:
I just filled out the 709, but will not mail it in until March. It is for a substantial sum (6 figures). I am slightly paranoid about the IRS, having had to respond to 2 previous letters from them.
Are they going to come at me to ask where I got the money from (I have the documentation), or am I just worrying too much?
No, nobody cares where you got the money. A gift tax return is auditable, but that would only be of interest if they thought you were actually giving gifts in the 7-figure range and under-reporting them.
Old 01-16-2021, 10:10 AM   #19

We have to do the 709 for 2020 also. I hope all goes well and no issues with IRS. It seems at times through the years even if done right/legal it still can be interesting dealing with Gov. agencies. That isn't meant to be a negative response but I'm looking at both sides of the coin.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 10:57 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

I talked to an accountant about the ins and outs of the reporting and I asked him what happens if they lower the lifetime exemption from what is is now back to say $1mil lifetime. He said they wouldn't do that.... but they could.
Bogie is offline   Reply With Quote