Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-21-2020, 04:08 AM   #221
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Up 3.82 YTD.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2020, 09:12 AM   #222
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Up 3.82 YTD.
You should be banned from this thread
Old 03-21-2020, 09:34 AM   #223
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Down 8.5% YTD. Still sleeping well at night.
Old 03-21-2020, 09:48 AM   #224

-22.55% ytd yee-haw!
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 09:50 AM   #225

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireAge50 View Post
-22.55% ytd yee-haw!
I got you beat...down 24.2%. HAH HAH!

crap, wait, this isn't golf...
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 09:51 AM   #226

-17% ytd
not fun, but the rational folks on this forum help keep me from pulling my hair out
Old 03-21-2020, 10:16 AM   #227
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
I got you beat...down 24.2%. HAH HAH!

crap, wait, this isn't golf...
Well it is kind of - doesn't low scores win
Old 03-21-2020, 10:19 AM   #228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Well it is kind of - doesn't low scores win
I was thinking more of low balances but yeah I guess you are right.
Old 03-21-2020, 10:20 AM   #229
Give me a forum ...

I would like to know just out of sheer curiosity, does 24% or 30% down in any given year REALLY make a difference to anyone here? If not what is the real pain point? Yes if you are like me you do not like any financial pain points, but we all have our limits. Mine is about 5% down.... LOL
Old 03-21-2020, 10:26 AM   #230

Quote:
I would like to know just out of sheer curiosity, does 24% or 30% down in any given year REALLY make a difference to anyone here? If not what is the real pain point? Yes if you are like me you do not like any financial pain points, but we all have our limits. Mine is about 5% down.... LOL
It doesn't make a difference right now for us as the entire amount we are down is contained in my wife's 401K which we had no plans to touch for another 10 years. My accounts are all up 20% to 40% this year and the taxable account I control is up 17% YTD.

Long term though, if her 401K does not recover in 10 years, we will have a much leaner retirement at age 60 than I was planning. I had hoped her 401K would continue to grow while we depleted our other accounts.

I don't care greatly though. I make the best plans I can for the future with the understanding that it is possible neither of us is there to see it. What good is $4,000,000 at age 70 if you get stage 4 pancreatic cancer at age 58 (or die of the coronavirus at age 50).

There is always money in the banana stand.
Old 03-21-2020, 10:31 AM   #231
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
I don't care greatly though. I make the best plans I can for the future with the understanding that it is possible neither of us is there to see it. What good is $4,000,000 at age 70 if you get stage 4 pancreatic cancer at age 58 (or die of the coronavirus at age 50).

There is always money in the banana stand.
Makes a tremendous amount of sense. Plus at 70+ I think one's spending goes down anyway.
Old 03-21-2020, 10:32 AM   #232
Confused about dryer sheets

Down 7.1% ytd
Sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 10:46 AM   #233

Quote:

I guess it would hurt when stocks really went down over longer periods of time. Since I started investing in 1989 the average return is currently 8.5% per year. Except for the very first year in 1989 there has never been a loss cumulatively.
Old 03-21-2020, 11:04 AM   #234

Quote:
Well for me I was hoping to retire in 7-8 yrs and that was with the assumption that the market would return 4-6% yoy until then. So now I have to wonder how long before I recover the -26% just to get back to where I was and then how much longer to get to my final number. That's what I get for not market timing even though my 6th sense was telling me we're close to some kind of a correction. Then I have to wonder about the other unknown possibilities which could make things even worse like how much further this market would drop, some are saying it could be another 20-30%, then what does that mean to the job market, will I be unemployed for a while, what will happen in the real estate market etc etc. However, for those sitting on a pile of cash this is a great opportunity to buy low.
dvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 11:18 AM   #235
Give me a forum ...

(20.3) YTD

Other than low equity allocations, how are you folks with single digit loses YTD doing it? I was at about 56% equities (much in TSM) when the trouble started, so I would normally have expected my aggregate losses to be smaller than they are. But with my bond funds down (4%) to (11%) YTD, they've provided little ballast.

Fortunately, I'm in pretty good shape to just do nothing and ride it out at this point. Still, it's aggravating.

The Great Recession occurred in my 3rd and 4th year of retirement. Now this craziness in my 14th. A lot less time to benefit from recovery this time.
Old 03-21-2020, 11:29 AM   #236
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvalley View Post
Well for me I was hoping to retire in 7-8 yrs and that was with the assumption that the market would return 4-6% yoy until then. So now I have to wonder how long before I recover the -26% just to get back to where I was and then how much longer to get to my final number. That's what I get for not market timing even though my 6th sense was telling me we're close to some kind of a correction. Then I have to wonder about the other unknown possibilities which could make things even worse like how much further this market would drop, some are saying it could be another 20-30%, then what does that mean to the job market, will I be unemployed for a while, what will happen in the real estate market etc etc. However, for those sitting on a pile of cash this is a great opportunity to buy low.

“That’s what I get for not market timing.” That isn’t something to regret.
MikeyMarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 11:32 AM   #237

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMarks View Post
“That’s what I get for not market timing.” That isn’t something to regret.
Yeah it is. Market timing actually works, much to the chagrin of all of the naysayers. All it takes is a catastrophe and you are back in the game.

Funny we are not seeing those charts of the S&P500 spread out over a decade with the caption "where is the dip?" I think the dip is kind of obvious now.
Old 03-21-2020, 11:48 AM   #238

I think stock picking and market timing works but the problem is it is work.
Old 03-21-2020, 12:51 PM   #239
Recycles dryer sheets

-14.6%....50/50 (target) …….-27.85%/-1.29%
vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 01:48 PM   #240

Another buy and hold type that talked myself out of adjusting AA a month or so ago. Down 21% on 60/35/5.

We’re good but coulda, woulda, shoulda.

I can’t find it but wasn’t there a Steve Goodman song “Don’t go should’n on me”? Something new to obsess about I guess.