2020 Investment Performance Thread

February 20th close All Time High
March 23rd close -32.52%
May 8th close -14.04%

YTD is now up 3.2%

Thanks Stemline!

Wait, scratch that. Didn't correctly do the wife's big 401K which is in crappy index fund SPY instead of smartly picked individual stocks.

Still down 1.5% YTD

Last edited:
Last 13 years for me...

-42.67%
55.47%
12.23%
8.34%
-9.77%
4.17%
19.57%
-5.83%
6.92%
18.83%
10.64%
15.22%
-13.16% (so far in 2020)

Down 12% as of 4-30-20.

Down .2% (basically flat). Fortunately started the year with low equity position, then bought equities weekly on the way down....then sold some (S&P 500 index) at about 2,920 recently.

Hoping for another dip...then I'd buy more! We are currently at about 18% equities.

Down 2.2% (net invested assets, excluding 2020 contributions). Not bad at all, considering what 2020 has brought so far. I still am waiting for the 2nd quarter results to come in before the 'other shoe drops'. Since I sold a bunch of equities early in the year, realizing a huge amount of gains, and I did not RE, I'm looking at a hefty tax bill this year, unless the market drops and I can harvest some losses.

If someone would have said to me in January that a global pandemic was coming that would soon cause Great Depression-like unemployment; and if they’d come back in late March to say that stock market prices would soon be nearly back to level for the year to date in late May, well, I’d have suggested that person should sober up and lay off the wacky tobacky. 2020 just goes to show, nobody knows nuthin.

Back to even as of today. Not sure where we go from here.

Back to even as of today. Not sure where we go from here.

I'm pretty close. The sum of my bank accounts + portfolio balance is down only 0.52% compared with January 1. Considering that earlier this week I had to pay my annual homeowner's insurance, my annual wind-and-hail (hurricane) insurance, and my twice-a-year car insurance, I'll call it a wash. :banghead:

As for what to do next? What I always do - - sit on it and do nothing! And try to keep spending down so that eventually my mini-pension and SS income brings me back to where I was on January 1st.

If someone would have said to me in January that a global pandemic was coming that would soon cause Great Depression-like unemployment; and if they’d come back in late March to say that stock market prices would soon be nearly back to level for the year to date in late May, well, I’d have suggested that person should sober up and lay off the wacky tobacky. 2020 just goes to show, nobody knows nuthin.
Lol!! So, true.

Talk on, talk on (Bob Wills reference).
I in particular don't knows nuthin.

Only down 3%, but nervous. It seems like a lot of layoffs are forthcoming. Expected, but none the less...

As of the end of May, up just over 0.6% year to date. Effectively flat for the year, good enough considering what's been going on. Nominally 50/50 asset allocation.

Jan +1.12%
Feb -6.18% due to COVID-19 fear
Mar -18.25% COVID-19 triggers 3 circuit breakers and 2TT+ in stimulus. This time IS different.
Apr -6.10% Back to Feb levels. Wasn't as fortunate as Lord Ackman and his 2.6BB short. The world has changed.
May +.82% my city burns around me by way of rioters, but hey the folio turned pos again :(

Down 2.67%. Think we were up somewhere near +3% at some point in February but given the mayhem very happy to be where we are. Did some tax loss harvesting along with some rebalancing and still have some extra cash sitting on the sidelines for the inevitable pullback.

Here's my latest numbers...

+0.23% on 1/31/2020.
-6.78% on 2/28/2020.
-21.45% on 3/31/2020.
-13.31% on 4/30/2020.
-8.82% on 5/29/2020.

As for highs and lows of the year, I peaked at 4.67% on February 19, and bottomed out at -30.47% on March 23.

Back
Top Bottom