2020 Investment Performance Thread

Down 2% YTD. But I did pretty well buying in March, so I'm up 8% from last October.

Up 3.7%.

My best performers are FSRPX (+22%, retail), FCNKX (+18%).
My worst one is EQIAX (-12%, Asia)

All others are "within the margin of error" as I see it. They are performing within plus or minus 5% of the market.

Just slightly down -0.1%, all-in, spend adjusted on roughly 66/33.

I moved a good chunk of 401k to cash this time when S&P hit 346 and so have missed out on a portion of this recent drop. I thought about buying 340 SPY puts but decided they were expensive at $4 each....turns out they were cheap lol.

I am down about $20,000 on Gilead but the 401K move saved about $80,000 so net win I guess.

Currently about 12%+ YTD.

I'm a bit confused here. Are we looking for investment performance or change in NW?
In all seriousness, it's whatever helps you sleep well, or puts a smile on your face. Some will criticize whatever you publish, so do what's comfortable for yourself.

I've stopped reporting performance and benchmark. Just going with total portfolio change. But I do look at most of the posts and enjoy the results.
:popcorn:

End of Oct -1.6% YTD +3.88% AA 80/20

Last edited:
Jan +1.12%
Feb -6.18% due to COVID-19 fear
Mar -18.25% COVID-19 triggers 3 circuit breakers and 2TT+ in stimulus. This time IS different.
Apr -6.10% Back to Feb levels. Wasn't as fortunate as Lord Ackman and his 2.6BB short. The world has changed.
May +.82% my city burns around me by way of rioters, but hey the folio turned pos again
June +4.3% For some reason I feel like this is where it 'should' be? I anticipate slower growth in the next 2 quarters. Remember the Tariffs?
July +13% Thanks to the AAPL 4:1 split, folio back at records.
August +22.2% I sorta expected to be here somehow but under different circumstance. AAPL has been the winner
September +18.9%
October +15.43 with elections 2 days away

I'm a bit confused here. Are we looking for investment performance or change in NW?

In all seriousness, it's whatever helps you sleep well, or puts a smile on your face. Some will criticize whatever you publish, so do what's comfortable for yourself.

I've stopped reporting performance and benchmark. Just going with total portfolio change. But I do look at most of the posts and enjoy the results.
:popcorn:

Thanks. But my %YTD and %NW change aren't even close to each other.
There are threads on net worth, and what's included. Don't even want to get into the net worth thing.

The guidelines for the thread are in the first post. Of course we humans like to change things around.

Our total has been pretty stable, but there was a jump in investable assets due to inheritance. But it had little impact on what I reported here last two years. I waited until the new year turned over, and upped the total on Jan 1. So it had no effect on increase in value posted here.

I can see why this thread is confusing. Some treat it like counting beans, others are like, "Whatever, it's about 1%."

I use account balances today (from all accounts valued in dollars) as compared to those accounts on January 1. But I perform a rough adjustment for additions and subtractions. This gives an approximate portfolio performance, which is good enough for the entertainment value of this thread.

I use account balances today (from all accounts valued in dollars) as compared to those accounts on January 1. But I perform a rough adjustment for additions and subtractions. This gives an approximate portfolio performance, which is good enough for the entertainment value of this thread.

Thanks...I keep track of everything in Quicken so I can pretty much figure it any way I want. I was really just interested in how and what everyone else was doing. My YTD investment gain on a 50/50 portfolio is 3.3%. But my YTD NW change is 9.6%....as others have said ymmv.:greetings10:

There are threads on net worth, and what's included. Don't even want to get into the net worth thing.

The guidelines for the thread are in the first post. Of course we humans like to change things around.

Our total has been pretty stable, but there was a jump in investable assets due to inheritance. But it had little impact on what I reported here last two years. I waited until the new year turned over, and upped the total on Jan 1. So it had no effect on increase in value posted here.

I can see why this thread is confusing. Some treat it like counting beans, others are like, "Whatever, it's about 1%."

Thank. These are, to me anyway, what make NW gain pretty much irrelevant as I'm not going to win the lottery, or have some wealthy relative leave me money. I really thought the % gain on your investment was a better comparison. NW can just mean you're either very lucky or very cheap.:greetings10:

I normally only post here at year end, but I thought the roller coaster of my 100% individual equity portfolio might amuse some and let others who might be thinking of this route know what they might be in for. All numbers are IRR and YTD.

Feb 20 hi +13.1%
Mar 23 lo -45.5%
Oct 05 hi +17.1%
Oct 30 +12.2%

Thanks...I keep track of everything in Quicken so I can pretty much figure it any way I want. I was really just interested in how and what everyone else was doing. My YTD investment gain on a 50/50 portfolio is 3.3%. But my YTD NW change is 9.6%....as others have said ymmv.:greetings10:

Sorry, that 9.6% should have been 5.6%.

Yes I do not mark to market illiquid assets so the effect is to reduce the volatility of NW. I find that comforting because in the worst case the illiquid assets can be liquidated too.

Net Worth might be a value to me if I had loans etc.. For me I have an idea what my net worth is but only a guess. What can I sell my ranch for and what will I get for my home etc. etc..
Net worth is a number that I don't need or use at this time in my life.

Thank. These are, to me anyway, what make NW gain pretty much irrelevant as I'm not going to win the lottery, or have some wealthy relative leave me money. I really thought the % gain on your investment was a better comparison. NW can just mean you're either very lucky or very cheap.:greetings10:
I think the younger you are the more important is the XIRR total performance gold standard. If someone's shelf life is shorter, it is a nice number to know, but you don't really give a hoot about it. You're focused on the total that will survive you, and how well the survivors will do in your wake.

Now I get off my soapbox and join the crowd. After dutifully measuring personal performance for a few years here, I can safely say our 50/50 total portfolio follows the performance curve each month of two index funds (VTI and BND) or one active fund like RLBGX.

Another point is that total investable assets (Total Portfolio) to me means just that. No car, diamonds, home, etc. I think NW means all of that added to Total Portfolio. There are many local interpretations, and I am fine with it all.
:)

Another point is that total investable assets (Total Portfolio) to me means just that. No car, diamonds, home, etc. I think NW means all of that added to Total Portfolio. There are many local interpretations, and I am fine with it all.
:)

I completely agree. It was just the comment I keep seeing "after subtracting expenses" that got me wondering. I certainly didn't think homes, cars, precious metals, art, ect would be included. And I guess I would have to agree that NW would include these.

I normally only post here at year end, but I thought the roller coaster of my 100% individual equity portfolio might amuse some and let others who might be thinking of this route know what they might be in for. All numbers are IRR and YTD.

Feb 20 hi +13.1%
Mar 23 lo -45.5%
Oct 05 hi +17.1%
Oct 30 +12.2%

I think I was down about -26% month back in march intramonth. Your rollercoaster is a lot wilder than mine and I am also 100% equities. Seya at the top!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom