Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-01-2020, 12:18 PM   #661
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Jan +1.12%
Feb -6.18% due to COVID-19 fear
Mar -18.25% COVID-19 triggers 3 circuit breakers and 2TT+ in stimulus. This time IS different.
Apr -6.10% Back to Feb levels. Wasn't as fortunate as Lord Ackman and his 2.6BB short. The world has changed.
May +.82% my city burns around me by way of rioters, but hey the folio turned pos again
June +4.3% For some reason I feel like this is where it 'should' be? I anticipate slower growth in the next 2 quarters. Remember the Tariffs?
July +13% Thanks to the AAPL 4:1 split, folio back at records.
August +22.2% I sorta expected to be here somehow but under different circumstance. AAPL has been the winner
September +18.9%
October +15.43 with elections 2 days away

FIRE in 2031 @ 50yrs old (+/- 2yrs) w/ a hypothetical $2.5mil portfolio, 3 appreciated homes worth $1.0mil and rental income to fund my gap years until RMD. Assets will go to an inherited IRA where I plan on watching the investments grow until I die or the trust gets executed.
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2020, 12:19 PM   #662
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince View Post
I'm a bit confused here. Are we looking for investment performance or change in NW?
Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
In all seriousness, it's whatever helps you sleep well, or puts a smile on your face. Some will criticize whatever you publish, so do what's comfortable for yourself.

I've stopped reporting performance and benchmark. Just going with total portfolio change. But I do look at most of the posts and enjoy the results.
Quote:
Thanks. But my %YTD and %NW change aren't even close to each other.
There are threads on net worth, and what's included. Don't even want to get into the net worth thing.

The guidelines for the thread are in the first post. Of course we humans like to change things around.

Our total has been pretty stable, but there was a jump in investable assets due to inheritance. But it had little impact on what I reported here last two years. I waited until the new year turned over, and upped the total on Jan 1. So it had no effect on increase in value posted here.

I can see why this thread is confusing. Some treat it like counting beans, others are like, "Whatever, it's about 1%."
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 01:10 PM   #663

Quote:
I use account balances today (from all accounts valued in dollars) as compared to those accounts on January 1. But I perform a rough adjustment for additions and subtractions. This gives an approximate portfolio performance, which is good enough for the entertainment value of this thread.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 03:59 PM   #664
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
I use account balances today (from all accounts valued in dollars) as compared to those accounts on January 1. But I perform a rough adjustment for additions and subtractions. This gives an approximate portfolio performance, which is good enough for the entertainment value of this thread.
Thanks...I keep track of everything in Quicken so I can pretty much figure it any way I want. I was really just interested in how and what everyone else was doing. My YTD investment gain on a 50/50 portfolio is 3.3%. But my YTD NW change is 9.6%....as others have said ymmv.
vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 04:15 PM   #665
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
There are threads on net worth, and what's included. Don't even want to get into the net worth thing.

The guidelines for the thread are in the first post. Of course we humans like to change things around.

Our total has been pretty stable, but there was a jump in investable assets due to inheritance. But it had little impact on what I reported here last two years. I waited until the new year turned over, and upped the total on Jan 1. So it had no effect on increase in value posted here.

I can see why this thread is confusing. Some treat it like counting beans, others are like, "Whatever, it's about 1%."
Thank. These are, to me anyway, what make NW gain pretty much irrelevant as I'm not going to win the lottery, or have some wealthy relative leave me money. I really thought the % gain on your investment was a better comparison. NW can just mean you're either very lucky or very cheap.
Old 11-01-2020, 05:36 PM   #666

I normally only post here at year end, but I thought the roller coaster of my 100% individual equity portfolio might amuse some and let others who might be thinking of this route know what they might be in for. All numbers are IRR and YTD.

Feb 20 hi +13.1%
Mar 23 lo -45.5%
Oct 05 hi +17.1%
Oct 30 +12.2%
Old 11-02-2020, 06:59 AM   #667
Moderator Emeritus

Location: Just north of the 41st parallel, near the 88th meridian west.
10/31 +2.46% ytd
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 07:08 AM   #668
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Thanks...I keep track of everything in Quicken so I can pretty much figure it any way I want. I was really just interested in how and what everyone else was doing. My YTD investment gain on a 50/50 portfolio is 3.3%. But my YTD NW change is 9.6%....as others have said ymmv.
Sorry, that 9.6% should have been 5.6%.
Old 11-02-2020, 07:56 AM   #669
Full time employment: Posting here.

1.34% YTD on 11/1 36/64 AA
Old 11-02-2020, 08:23 AM   #670
Recycles dryer sheets

-1.8% at end of October.
Born2Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 10:47 AM   #671
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Yes I do not mark to market illiquid assets so the effect is to reduce the volatility of NW. I find that comforting because in the worst case the illiquid assets can be liquidated too.
Old 11-02-2020, 11:51 AM   #672
Give me a forum ...

Net Worth might be a value to me if I had loans etc.. For me I have an idea what my net worth is but only a guess. What can I sell my ranch for and what will I get for my home etc. etc..
Net worth is a number that I don't need or use at this time in my life.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 12:15 PM   #673
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thank. These are, to me anyway, what make NW gain pretty much irrelevant as I'm not going to win the lottery, or have some wealthy relative leave me money. I really thought the % gain on your investment was a better comparison. NW can just mean you're either very lucky or very cheap.
I think the younger you are the more important is the XIRR total performance gold standard. If someone's shelf life is shorter, it is a nice number to know, but you don't really give a hoot about it. You're focused on the total that will survive you, and how well the survivors will do in your wake.

Now I get off my soapbox and join the crowd. After dutifully measuring personal performance for a few years here, I can safely say our 50/50 total portfolio follows the performance curve each month of two index funds (VTI and BND) or one active fund like RLBGX.

Another point is that total investable assets (Total Portfolio) to me means just that. No car, diamonds, home, etc. I think NW means all of that added to Total Portfolio. There are many local interpretations, and I am fine with it all.
Old 11-02-2020, 02:26 PM   #674
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Another point is that total investable assets (Total Portfolio) to me means just that. No car, diamonds, home, etc. I think NW means all of that added to Total Portfolio. There are many local interpretations, and I am fine with it all.
I completely agree. It was just the comment I keep seeing "after subtracting expenses" that got me wondering. I certainly didn't think homes, cars, precious metals, art, ect would be included. And I guess I would have to agree that NW would include these.
Old 11-02-2020, 04:14 PM   #675

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclingInvestor View Post
I normally only post here at year end, but I thought the roller coaster of my 100% individual equity portfolio might amuse some and let others who might be thinking of this route know what they might be in for. All numbers are IRR and YTD.

Feb 20 hi +13.1%
Mar 23 lo -45.5%
Oct 05 hi +17.1%
Oct 30 +12.2%
I think I was down about -26% month back in march intramonth. Your rollercoaster is a lot wilder than mine and I am also 100% equities. Seya at the top!

FIRE in 2031 @ 50yrs old (+/- 2yrs) w/ a hypothetical $2.5mil portfolio, 3 appreciated homes worth $1.0mil and rental income to fund my gap years until RMD. Assets will go to an inherited IRA where I plan on watching the investments grow until I die or the trust gets executed.
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 06:01 PM   #676
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I completely agree. It was just the comment I keep seeing "after subtracting expenses" that got me wondering. I certainly didn't think homes, cars, precious metals, art, ect would be included. And I guess I would have to agree that NW would include these.
Yeah, it's for fun and starting conversations. I have a sheet going back to 1990 where I recorded monthly account totals and in some cases individual funds. When I look at the area graph for 30 years, that is sufficient for me. But I can see why monhly performance details are important too.

People have different methods for calculating performance, and I that keeps this game interesting. There have been posts from time to time where methods are laid out.
Old 11-02-2020, 10:13 PM   #677
Recycles dryer sheets

I use the "Bogleheads_Returns.xls" and enter new data at the end of each month.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bogleheads_return.jpg (181.1 KB, 39 views)
dadu007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 02:31 PM   #678

Quote:
Adjusting for expenses is required if you sum all liquid accounts (spending accounts and portfolio accounts). If you just included your investment accounts, then when you moved money in and out, it would distort the numbers. One could adjust for those movements, as one alternative, or do the "all-in, spend adjusted", which is a pretty good estimate if your spending isn't too lumpy throughout the year and spending lumpiness is small when compared to market movements.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 04:12 PM   #679
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Adjusting for expenses is required if you sum all liquid accounts (spending accounts and portfolio accounts). If you just included your investment accounts, then when you moved money in and out, it would distort the numbers. One could adjust for those movements, as one alternative, or do the "all-in, spend adjusted", which is a pretty good estimate if your spending isn't too lumpy throughout the year and spending lumpiness is small when compared to market movements.
Thanks. That makes sense. I guess I was looking at it too simply.
Old 11-04-2020, 08:10 AM   #680

6.4% YTD as of 10/31, on an almost 50/50 portfolio.