Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-01-2020, 09:44 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by volfan View Post
...Very close to the cut off of not having to pay Cap gains tax. ...
So 0% vs 15%?

ETA: and I forgot to mention but as RB notes below, it is just on the excess ... so if you get a $100 surprise capital gains distribution that pushes you over the top of the 0% preferenced tax bracket, the most it would cost you would be $15. Not a big deal.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2020, 09:47 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by volfan View Post
Thanks RunningBum and Audreyh1.

Iíve got some calculating to do. Very close to the cut off of not having to pay Cap gains tax. If it is expected to be more than last year I need to adjust our deferred Comp holdings now for taking effect in December to keep us there.
Just remember that's not a cliff. You'd only pay CG tax on the amount over the cut off. Ideally you keep it all from being taxed, but being off by a few dollars doesn't make all CGs taxable.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 11:54 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Just remember that's not a cliff. You'd only pay CG tax on the amount over the cut off. Ideally you keep it all from being taxed, but being off by a few dollars doesn't make all CGs taxable.

Thanks. Didnít realize this. I knew it worked that way for the increase to the next tax bracket but thought all gains would become taxable. Itís not a whole lot, but if I can avoid a few hundred extra in taxes itís a win!
volfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 05:39 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
It'll be an odd year for me... usually I would be all over this as part of my year-end tax planning, Roth conversion, etc. Since I no longer have stocks in my taxable account... no worries.
Curious why you no longer have stocks in your taxable account?
bpgdeg1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 06:18 AM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Anybody remember when ishares/Blackrock usually puts out their end of year estimates? I can't recall when they went out last year.
big-papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 06:50 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpgdeg1234 View Post
Curious why you no longer have stocks in your taxable account?
I went into capital preservation mode earlier in the year and was out of stocks... since then I've added about 4% but it was in tax deferred accounts. Luckily, most of my LTCG will fit in under the 0% preferenced income tax bracket.... a little dribbles over into 15%.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 10:13 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

BNY-Mellon (a.k.a. Dreyfus) posted theirs today.

https://im.bnymellon.com/us/en/indiv...-distributions

You can select various filters to narrow the search for your desired fund(s).
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 09:39 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Christine Benz at Morningstar.com posts an annual look at year end estimated distributions.
https://www.morningstar.com/articles...p-2020-edition

I noticed that the link I gave earlier in this thread has far more fund families listed now.
Old 11-14-2020, 12:11 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Was it mentioned here already?

Vanguard says 11/16 they will publish cap gains estimates for their funds and ETFs, and on 12/9 this will be updated plus income estimates and qualified dividend percentages as well.

https://institutional.vanguard.com/V...tributions2020

That's the only one I have left.
Old 11-14-2020, 01:10 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post

Vanguard says 11/16 they will publish cap gains estimates for their funds and ETFs, and on 12/9 this will be updated plus income estimates and qualified dividend percentages as well.

Only the first date was mentioned. Thanks for pointing out that dividends estimates come later.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 05:21 PM   #51

The Vanguard cap gains estimates have been posted.

https://advisors.vanguard.com/insigh...gainsestimates
PaunchyPirate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 05:27 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Direct link to Vanguard cap gains estimates PDF:
https://personal.vanguard.com/pdf/RTPYEEST_112020.pdf
Old 11-17-2020, 06:09 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Have any of you ever seen Fidelity post end of year dividend estimates? This is a big missing piece for me. I thought they used to.
Old 11-17-2020, 09:27 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Have any of you ever seen Fidelity post end of year dividend estimates? This is a big missing piece for me. I thought they used to.
We have discussed this before. It wasn't too long ago, maybe 2 or 3 years, when Fidelity posted year-end dividends among their year-end distributions. I was not pleased to see Fidelity stop posting them, either.

One of my bond funds, the one which generates most of my steady income, sometimes had what I call "spikes" in its dividend income. Back in 2009-2011, I had these spikes which amounted to getting 2 months worth of dividend income in December. Fidelity wasn't posting them among their annual estimates back then, so while I was happy to get the added income, it interfered with my estimated taxes because it was too late to make an added state estimated tax payment by 12/31 I could deduct on that year's federal return.

I learned in 2010 that this spike could be learned before the end of the year because it appeared as a single, one-day increase in the fund's Daily Mil Rate around the 15th of December. So, in 2011, I was able to ask Fidelity for Daily Mil Rates during December and see I would receive a larger monthly dividend a few weeks before 12/31 and adjust accordingly.

These spikes disappeared for several years until I saw in the year-end distributions for 2018 a special dividend (the last time I saw this appear IIRC). However, with the new tax law starting in 2018, it didn't matter because I was taking the Standard Deduction. The spike dividend was paid out a few days before the end of the year, unlike in 2009-2011 when it was combined with the regular monthly one. It was not part of the Daily Mil Rate, either.

I had a spike in 2019, too, also paid out a few days before the end of the year. The spike was pretty small, though.

I have told Fidelity reps including my own Account Executive that I don't really like being blindsided by special distributions which have no warning anywhere, but they have fallen on deaf ears. ("We're sorry for the inconvenience blah blah blah...Ö")

This is one of several ways Fidelity has been slowly eroding my goodwill toward them......
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 09:35 AM   #55

Schwab posted theirs here:

https://www.schwabfunds.com/resource...and-tax-center

Edit to add:

It gives the estimated percentages of long and short term capital gains, but doesn't give the estimated dividends. For example, the first line is for the schwab total stock market index fund SWTSX, and has dashes in each column. However, my account shows an estimated ~$10k dividend in December.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 03:14 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
We have discussed this before. It wasn't too long ago, maybe 2 or 3 years, when Fidelity posted year-end dividends among their year-end distributions. I was not pleased to see Fidelity stop posting them, either.
I thought it had been until recently because I always made spreadsheets for end of year estimates. Itís very unfortunate that they stopped. This year I estimated based on the ratio of early year div distributions versus Dec div distributions, and they are substantial.
Old 11-22-2020, 08:58 AM   #57

ishares has their capital gains estimates up now: https://www.ishares.com/us/capital-gains-distributions

cheers
big-papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 03:38 PM   #58

Quote:

Is anyone willing to teach me how to estimate 4th quarter dividends using whatever Vanguard publishes? I've never had to do it before. I tried to research it online and just became more confused.

(54, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 58. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 03:52 PM   #59

It looks like Vanguardís updated 2020 Cap Gains estimates and the new December dividends distributions has been released.

https://advisors.vanguard.com/iwe/pd...r/FAFYEEST.pdf
Old 12-09-2020, 03:54 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
Is anyone willing to teach me how to estimate 4th quarter dividends using whatever Vanguard publishes? I've never had to do it before. I tried to research it online and just became more confused.
I just posted a link to the estimates from Vanguard above.

Look up your fund/etf and multiply the per share dollar value in the document times the number of shares you own. That would be your dividend or capital gain estimate for that fund.