Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-09-2020, 04:01 PM   #61
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaunchyPirate View Post
It looks like Vanguardís updated 2020 Cap Gains estimates and the new December dividends distributions has been released.

https://advisors.vanguard.com/iwe/pd...r/FAFYEEST.pdf
Thank you.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2020, 04:14 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Something is missing. I can’t find VBIRX. It certainly has an income distribution this month. Is the advisors list a separate set? There must be a non advisors list somewhere.
Old 12-09-2020, 04:19 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
It looks like Vanguardís updated 2020 Cap Gains estimates and the new December dividends distributions has been released.

https://advisors.vanguard.com/iwe/pd...r/FAFYEEST.pdf
Aha! There it is! I was hunting for it and couldn't find it. Thank you!

Quote:
I just posted a link to the estimates from Vanguard above.

Look up your fund/etf and multiply the per share dollar value in the document times the number of shares you own. That would be your dividend or capital gain estimate for that fund.
Makes total sense; just crunched the numbers and I see we'll be getting about 90% of what we received Dec 2019. That's very helpful to know, as I am planning to do a Roth conversion, so now we can convert a bit more.

Thanks so much!

(53, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 57. I am semi-retired as of 2015 (occasional part-time self-employment), Mr. Simple Girl is fully retired as of 12/31/19!)
simple girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 04:58 PM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Something is missing. I can’t find VBIRX. It certainly has an income distribution this month. Is the advisors list a separate set? There must be a non advisors list somewhere.
Hmmm. I will confirm that I also don't see your VBIRX in the document. I'm not sure what the problem is. I also cannot find the distribution document on a non-Advisor portion of Vanguards site. I found this link using a posting on the Bogleheads.com site. It sure seems like it would be an entire listing, but I don't really know for sure.
PaunchyPirate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 05:05 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

It might be that they haven’t posted it yet, because I found the page but no link yet.
Old 12-09-2020, 05:39 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Wow, those dividend numbers are a lot lower than last year! Between that and getting out of a higher dividend paying fund, I could qualify for a CSR plan for next year, based on these numbers. I'm going to have to seriously consider that. It would mean little or no Roth conversion.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 08:55 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

^^ Whoops, missed adding a column for a new holding in my spreadsheet. Found it while filling out an early TurboTax return. I'm still well under 400%FPL but not 250%. Too far off to estimate my 2021 MAGI at 250% to get a silver CSR plan. Ah well, I was never counting on that.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 11:49 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

For the Vanguard folks. Ya'll probably know this, but I found it really handy to go to:

"My Accounts" --> "Tax Center" --> "Quarterly" (TAB)

There, they present you a nice table of income and ST/LT gains by quarter and total, along with a reminder from last year.

For my estimate spreadsheet, I can easily plug those numbers in, then add the gains estimate data to finish Q4.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 11:52 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Something is missing. I can’t find VBIRX. It certainly has an income distribution this month.
Also missing is the settlement, VMFXX. I suspect they can't compute the really short term stuff yet? You can throw an estimate in there from last month's or quarter's result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Wow, those dividend numbers are a lot lower than last year!
Indeed! I filled some slack with some gain harvesting.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 12:52 PM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

Fidelity's list is missing information considering they usually pay out dividends on their funds around now and used to be much more detailed and included estimates for most all their Fido funds besides... very concerned at this point. I really do want to top up my cash bucket if there's room but they're not leaving me much time to figure it out.

https://www.fidelity.com/mutual-fund...?table=actuals

Am I missing information for the fidelity total market index fund (FSKAX) that someone can point me to? This is the only fund I hold in my taxable account, so I'd love to get the usual dividend distribution (should have fallen today if they keep to the past years' pattern of the second Friday of December)

https://fundresearch.fidelity.com/mu...mary/315911693

I don't see anything other than April's dividend distribution listed, and they haven't paid cap gains for a solid year... (not complaining about the cap gains, but the dividend should either be paid or at least state they're paying or not by now)
Old 12-11-2020, 03:46 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankiesGirl View Post
Fidelity's list is missing information considering they usually pay out dividends on their funds around now and used to be much more detailed and included estimates for most all their Fido funds besides... very concerned at this point. I really do want to top up my cash bucket if there's room but they're not leaving me much time to figure it out.

Am I missing information for the fidelity total market index fund (FSKAX) that someone can point me to? This is the only fund I hold in my taxable account, so I'd love to get the usual dividend distribution (should have fallen today if they keep to the past years' pattern of the second Friday of December)

I don't see anything other than April's dividend distribution listed, and they haven't paid cap gains for a solid year... (not complaining about the cap gains, but the dividend should either be paid or at least state they're paying or not by now)
Earlier in this thread, Audreyh1 and I lamented about how Fidelity stopped including dividend estimates among its year-end distributions a few years ago. This includes an on-again, off-again dividend I described as a year-end "spike" dividend in one of my bond funds which at one time appeared in the fund's daily Mil Rate (but not any more).
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 04:05 PM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
Earlier in this thread, Audreyh1 and I lamented about how Fidelity stopped including dividend estimates among its year-end distributions a few years ago. This includes an on-again, off-again dividend I described as a year-end "spike" dividend in one of my bond funds which at one time appeared in the fund's daily Mil Rate (but not any more).
Thank you for the clarification. I had read the discussion and hoped it was just for the active managed or maybe just bond funds, but apparently it is most all the fido funds. That's disappointing and agree about the goodwill fading.

I'd say they stopped reporting them as of end of 2018, as I was paying close attention in 2018 and that surprise payout of cap gains the last day or two of the year really upset me as it was without warning/and bumped me up a level in earnings as well.

ETA: I was right - they were planning on dividends today. Just logged in to to see for FSKAX: A dividend of 1.327 per share, declared on 12/11/2020, will be posted to your account on 12/14/2020. Still don't see why they couldn't have posted even earlier this week but now get to worry about possible cap gains (unlikely, but still possible I guess).
Old 12-11-2020, 04:19 PM   #73
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

In the case of vbrix you see on the bottom of the distributions panel on the web site that it has a .09% of face vale capital loss for the year in realized gains, and a 2.83% unrealized gain. So since these invest in short term instruments rather than cashing them in the manager may just wait until the instruments expire.
meierlde is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 06:11 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
In the case of vbrix you see on the bottom of the distributions panel on the web site that it has a .09% of face vale capital loss for the year in realized gains, and a 2.83% unrealized gain. So since these invest in short term instruments rather than cashing them in the manager may just wait until the instruments expire.
What I was looking for was the dividend estimate. I could already see that it had no capital gains estimated.
Old 12-11-2020, 06:12 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Well we should find out this evening as Iím pretty sure today is the ex-div date along with several other index funds.
Old 12-11-2020, 06:42 PM   #76
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Well we should find out this evening as Iím pretty sure today is the ex-div date along with several other index funds.

Yup! They posted the dividend notice in the last hour (and I updated/edited my post to add this in):

A dividend of 1.327 per share, declared on 12/11/2020, will be posted to your account on 12/14/2020.

Wonder what the chances are for them to do cap gains of any flavor this year? They haven't paid any since April 2019, so unlikely?
Old 12-11-2020, 07:04 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yup! They posted the dividend notice in the last hour (and I updated/edited my post to add this in):

A dividend of 1.327 per share, declared on 12/11/2020, will be posted to your account on 12/14/2020.

Wonder what the chances are for them to do cap gains of any flavor this year? They haven't paid any since April 2019, so unlikely?
No cap gains IMO. The fund would have been listed in the estimated cap gains doc, and it would have been paid today along with the div.
Old 12-24-2020, 07:23 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Audreyh1, did you happen to see those "spike" dividends Fidelity posted this morning in some bond funds? Besides your actual data appearing in your Account Activity tab, the per-share data appears in the YTD Distributions tab (not the Cap Gains one) which takes a while to load.

The big bond fund I own has paid one out for the third year in a row, while another bond fund I have been in since 2008 paid one out for the first time in those 12 years.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

Old 12-24-2020, 07:30 AM   #79
Give me a forum ...

I got one from FSNOX - it was quite small. Since Fidelity doesn’t provide dividend estimates anyway, it’s hard to predict.

I’m signed up for email alerts on MF distributions so I new already this morning.
Old 12-24-2020, 07:54 AM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I got one from FSNOX - it was quite small. Since Fidelity doesnít provide dividend estimates anyway, itís hard to predict.

Iím signed up for email alerts on MF distributions so I new already this morning.
I don't get email alerts on my non-IRA (taxable) account, only the IRA account. This is because of a bug in Fidelity's system they are unwilling to fix. My non-IRA account is not a brokerage account but instead one of their old Mutual Fund-only accounts, one I have had for 30 years. They don't want their clients having MF-only accounts, so they are unwilling to make any fixes to them. I like having a MF-only account because it is easier to make transfers into and out of Fidelity, so this is the price I pay for being a long-term client. I have complained about this over the years after I lost this handy email-alerts perk following some unknown system change.

It was only after I signed into my account did I notice not one but two "spike" distributions, one in the IRA and the other one in the non-IRA.