Join Early Retirement Today

2020 Year-End Distributions
Old 10-27-2020, 12:56 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

2020 Year-End Distributions

I just saw Fidelity posting its 2020 year-end distribution estimates.

As in prior years, others have posted links to their investment company's year-end estimates. Please post them here.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2020, 01:10 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I can't find an estimate for Schwab funds or ETFs but from their home screen (once you've logged on) one can switch the view to "investment income." From there, you can export a .CSV file by month for the entire year, including estimates for each fund through the end of the current year. I then sorted the resulting spreadsheet by account which let me strip out the IRAs, giving me an estimate of income for the year. I didn't even have to do the math.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 01:13 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

It'll be an odd year for me... usually I would be all over this as part of my year-end tax planning, Roth conversion, etc. Since I no longer have stocks in my taxable account... no worries.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...target 65/35/0 AA TBD
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 01:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
It'll be an odd year for me... usually I would be all over this as part of my year-end tax planning, Roth conversion, etc. Since I no longer have stocks in my taxable account... no worries.

I don't do conversions anymore so I can wait until early January to true up my estimated tax payment for Q4. One less thing to worry about in December.
jebmke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 01:38 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

No Roth conversion for me this year either... I've got a little headroom to do about $3,800 of tIRA withdrawals that I'll use 100% withholding on to pay estimated taxes so when I file my tax return I'll pay 15% on that $3,800 because it will push $3,800 of LTCG from 0% to 15%. I don't mind paying 15% given that I was at 28% or higher when I deferred that income.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...target 65/35/0 AA TBD
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 02:06 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I found that one of my remnant odds-and-ends mutual fund investments has released estimates for a mid-December Capital Gains distribution. Jensen Investments has a few funds and the notices are on different pages for each fund. My fund, JENSX, Quality Growth Fund is expecting a $4.73 per share distribution. Up from $3.665 last year. Ouch. Glad I have a little breathing room in my ACA cliff calculations.

https://www.jenseninvestment.com
PaunchyPirate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 02:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaunchyPirate View Post
I found that one of my remnant odds-and-ends mutual fund investments has released estimates for a mid-December Capital Gains distribution. Jensen Investments has a few funds and the notices are on different pages for each fund. My fund, JENSX, Quality Growth Fund is expecting a $4.73 per share distribution. Up from $3.665 last year. Ouch. Glad I have a little breathing room in my ACA cliff calculations.

I think they all will be high this year.
FANOFJESUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 02:22 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
I just saw Fidelity posting its 2020 year-end distribution estimates.

As in prior years, others have posted links to their investment company's year-end estimates. Please post them here.
Thanks! I’ve been checking almost daily.
Old 10-27-2020, 02:30 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaunchyPirate View Post

One of the funds I exchanged earlier in the year during the market drop. I was able to clear out a few funds.
Old 10-27-2020, 06:29 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Vanguard's initial YED's are due out Nov. 16th.

T. Rowe Price, very preliminary info here:
https://www.troweprice.com/personal-...ributions.html
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 06:31 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I find a lot of links from this forum:
https://mutualfundobserver.com/discu...ains-estimates
Old 10-27-2020, 07:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
I can't find an estimate for Schwab funds or ETFs but from their home screen (once you've logged on) one can switch the view to "investment income." From there, you can export a .CSV file by month for the entire year, including estimates for each fund through the end of the current year. I then sorted the resulting spreadsheet by account which let me strip out the IRAs, giving me an estimate of income for the year. I didn't even have to do the math.
It only lists interest and dividends. I have some capital gains and losses from assets sold and tax loss harvesting. To see those, you have to go into the taxable account and look for Realized Gains. And there will be year-end capital gains distributions. I don't know how to see those on the Schwab website.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 03:57 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Good stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I find a lot of links from this forum:
https://mutualfundobserver.com/discu...ains-estimates
Old 10-28-2020, 07:56 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
It only lists interest and dividends. I have some capital gains and losses from assets sold and tax loss harvesting. To see those, you have to go into the taxable account and look for Realized Gains. And there will be year-end capital gains distributions. I don't know how to see those on the Schwab website.
True. I probably neglected capital gains since I'm an index fund investor and CGs are relatively small (but not zero) compared to dividends. This year, who knows?

I expect Schwab's estimates will be available at https://www.schwabfunds.com/resource...and-tax-center once they become available.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 08:16 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I don't know if it is true for other companies, but for Fidelity they don't list all the funds right now. Over the few weeks (I hope, not longer than that), more of their funds will get posted. For now, a fund which may or may not have a year-end distributions isn't distinguishable from a fund which will have one but just isn't known yet.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 08:22 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
I don't know if it is true for other companies, but for Fidelity they don't list all the funds right now. Over the few weeks (I hope, not longer than that), more of their funds will get posted. For now, a fund which may or may not have a year-end distributions isn't distinguishable from a fund which will have one but just isn't known yet.
I believe the funds not listed have $0 estimated cap gains distributions. I have never seen funds added after the fact, although I have received a small cap gains distribution from a fund where none was estimated.

Also, Fidelity stopped giving estimates of dividends a while ago. Many funds will still pay dividend distributions in Dec. I wish they would provide these like most fund companies do.
Old 10-28-2020, 12:37 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

The main portion of our year-end CG distro's come from three T. Rowe Price funds.

This year, the estimates are the highest I have ever seen. Glad we are not paying state tax on them this year.
Old 10-28-2020, 01:45 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
The main portion of our year-end CG distro's come from three T. Rowe Price funds.

This year, the estimates are the highest I have ever seen. Glad we are not paying state tax on them this year.
I dumped the last of my active funds in March including TRP International Stock. I was getting killed on capital gain distributions every year.
jebmke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 02:18 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

The only reason we don't sell, is taxes - we've owned these funds for 20+ years. It's durned if you do, durned if you don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebmke View Post
I dumped the last of my active funds in March including TRP International Stock. I was getting killed on capital gain distributions every year.
Old 10-28-2020, 04:09 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Just keep taking the distributions in cash, and eventually your unrealized gains in the fund will be small enough to sell the rest. If your unrealized gain is smaller than the estimated distributions, you can sell ahead of the distribution. You can also check the basis of each lot - some may have smaller gains than others and you can trim those first.

I did what tax loss harvesting I could in March - but the window of opportunity was so short I only got about half of it done.