Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-08-2023, 08:56 AM   #821
Dryer sheet aficionado

-10.67% for 2022 with a 49/26/25 stock/bond/cash asset allocation. I am retired and prefer the cash allocation to get me safely on to Social Security in three years.
tsoispf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2023, 09:08 AM   #822
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

-14.6% with a 50/25/25 portfolio. Lots of cash due to a upcoming house purchase in May 2023(being built in Tennessee now)
Old 01-08-2023, 09:58 AM   #823
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanWinkle View Post
-14.6% with a 50/25/25 portfolio. Lots of cash due to a upcoming house purchase in May 2023(being built in Tennessee now)
East Tennessee?
Old 01-08-2023, 11:02 AM   #824
Give me a forum ...

Dqotd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
-12.8% according to Vanguard, target AA in sig line. Our equity holdings fell -13.3% and I held onto bond funds longer than I should have, but corrected in July. But I'm in for the LONG term.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Down 14.3% on 2/3 equities AA target.

I do an 'all-in' calculation, so all accounts total liquid net worth on 1/1 and 12/31, with an adjustment for spending. I had the sign wrong on the spending, and it made it look reaaaaly bad! So once I changed the sign, it was a relief to be down "only" 14.3%. ...
I want to start out that I'm not picking on you two but have just noticed a trend that is perplexing. For many posters, their disclosed 2022 returns are a lot better than the 2022 returns under Portfolio Visualizer for a portfolio with the same AA.

For example, a 50/40/10 AA consistent with MidPack's sig line returned -14.85% according to PV, but MidPack bettered it with -12.8% Similiarly, sengsational's reported return for 2022 was -14.3% but a 67/33 AA was -17.43% according to PV.

For the benchmark I used VTSAX (Total Stock Admiral) for equities, VBTLX (Total Bond Admiral) for bonds and CASHX for cash... PV's 2022 returns of -19.53% for VTSAX and -13.16% for VBTLX agreed with the 2022 return for those tickers on the Vanguard website and the CASHX return for 2022 was 1.82%, which seemed reasonable.

So the DQOTD is why are forum members reported returns so much better than the return for a similar AA on Portfolio Visualizer? Superior stock picking? Less interest rate sensitivity that VBTLX due to more IBonds and credit union CDs? Overall shorter duration for bonds and brokered CDs than VBTLX? Other reasons?

In the interest of full disclosure, my reported 2022 return of -4.17% was also significantly better than the -13% per PV for a similar AA... though while my AA drifted over the course of the year as I made some portfolio changes I think -13% is about right.

In my case I'm pretty sure that it is because I sold about 1/2 of my equities from the beginning of the year in January before the blood let too much. Also, 43% of my fixed income at the beginning of the year were preferred shares that I sold off in early February before things got too bloody. So I was cash heavy for a lot of the year.

Finally the fixed income that I didn't sell did a lot better than the -13.16% return for VBTLX in 2022 because it was mostly IBonds and credit union CDs that are not interest rate sensitive.

And yes, its a slow day so far.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 12:37 PM   #825

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
East Tennessee?
Yes, Tellico Village just southwest of Knoxville.
Old 01-08-2023, 12:43 PM   #826

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I want to start out that I'm not picking on you two but have just noticed a trend that is perplexing. For many posters, their disclosed 2022 returns are a lot better than the 2022 returns under Portfolio Visualizer for a portfolio with the same AA.

For example, a 50/40/10 AA consistent with MidPack's sig line returned -14.85% according to PV, but MidPack bettered it with -12.8% Similiarly, sengsational's reported return for 2022 was -14.3% but a 67/33 AA was -17.43% according to PV.

For the benchmark I used VTSAX (Total Stock Admiral) for equities, VBTLX (Total Bond Admiral) for bonds and CASHX for cash... PV's 2022 returns of -19.53% for VTSAX and -13.16% for VBTLX agreed with the 2022 return for those tickers on the Vanguard website and the CASHX return for 2022 was 1.82%, which seemed reasonable.

So the DQOTD is why are forum members reported returns so much better than the return for a similar AA on Portfolio Visualizer? Superior stock picking? Less interest rate sensitivity that VBTLX due to more IBonds and credit union CDs? Overall shorter duration for bonds and brokered CDs than VBTLX? Other reasons?

In the interest of full disclosure, my reported 2022 return of -4.17% was also significantly better than the -13% per PV for a similar AA... though while my AA drifted over the course of the year as I made some portfolio changes I think -13% is about right.

In my case I'm pretty sure that it is because I sold about 1/2 of my equities from the beginning of the year in January before the blood let too much. Also, 43% of my fixed income at the beginning of the year were preferred shares that I sold off in early February before things got too bloody. So I was cash heavy for a lot of the year.

Finally the fixed income that I didn't sell did a lot better than the -13.16% return for VBTLX in 2022 because it was mostly IBonds and credit union CDs that are not interest rate sensitive.

And yes, its a slow day so far.
Sounds like you were right once by reducing equities and selling off your preferred stocks before the carnage(tax consequences unknown). There will be another timing to get back in when the market turns and it is difficult to get both of these decisions right.
Good luck to you,

VW
Old 01-08-2023, 12:52 PM   #827
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I also want to start out that I'm not picking on you but have just noticed this post might be a better fit in the Market Timing Active Investing, Market Strategies & Alternative Assets forum.

And yes, it's a slow day so far.
Old 01-08-2023, 01:13 PM   #828
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Sounds like you were right once by reducing equities and selling off your preferred stocks before the carnage(tax consequences unknown). There will be another timing to get back in when the market turns and it is difficult to get both of these decisions right.
Good luck to you,

VW
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I also want to start out that I'm not picking on you but have just noticed this post might be a better fit in the Market Timing Active Investing, Market Strategies & Alternative Assets forum.

And yes, it's a slow day so far.
Fair points on market timing. It wasn't particularly intentional but it did work out. As VW points out, the real trick is when to get back in.

All in tax deferred and tax free so no tax cost or benefit at all.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 04:54 PM   #829
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Fair points on market timing. It wasn't particularly intentional but it did work out. As VW points out, the real trick is when to get back in.

All in tax deferred and tax free so no tax cost or benefit at all.
For another reference point, I hold no bonds in my 56% fixed income allocation, so my Stable Value and CD's did much better than the generic bond fund.
Old 01-08-2023, 08:53 PM   #830

Quote:
... Similiarly, sengsational's reported return for 2022 was -14.3% but a 67/33 AA was -17.43% according to PV.
I'm glad I did better than the basic US large cap / bond fund because lord knows I've often done worse than that AA.

My more detailed asset allocation is probably in the forum somewhere, but I'm too lazy to find it right now. But it's got developed and emerging international and a tilt on the US equities, so not just large cap (or total market which is very large capish anyway). One thing that probably helped is that a major good chunk of my bond allocation is in a 401K stable value fund, so I didn't take it on the chin at all compared to some bond fund holders. And I did sell the smaller bond portion of my AA that was in a bond fund, finally, and bought individual bonds, but I think that was probably too late to help much.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
2022 Investment Performance Thread
Old 01-09-2023, 06:25 AM   #831

2022 Investment Performance Thread

From Novelinvestor.com. [ATTACH]
Good luck to those who like to guess. For my personal risk tolerance, I prefer to buy a few broad index funds and assume some asset classes are baked in that will pop and nosedive unpredictably each year; and then hold them long term so that the various asset classes have time to complete their cycles and have their days in the sun, e.g. Cash in 2022, REITs in 2021, which tanked before and after, etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0704.JPG (722.3 KB, 66 views)
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 12:36 PM   #832
Full time employment: Posting here.

Ok, the numbers are all in......-13.4% which I think ain't too bad.
I was heavy into large cap growth, and health care well into 2022. A few bonds and some preferred's. But thanks to my life long friend who taught me well, I moved almost all of my 70% equities into SPY and sold covered calls in the late spring. Not for everyone, but I had to put a lot of faith into what the FED has to do, and still must do. Lyn Alden helped reinforce a lot of my own belief.

If I had simply let it roll, I would likely have been down closer to -30% with the allocation I had. My HSA account indicates this, as I did not protect that one account with this strategy.
Happyras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 04:05 PM   #833

Quote:
Yes, Tellico Village just southwest of Knoxville.
Tellico is on my list of possible destinations. Please let us know as you go on how things are!
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 06:16 PM   #834

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997reloaded View Post
Tellico is on my list of possible destinations. Please let us know as you go on how things are!
Will do!!
Old 01-11-2023, 07:45 PM   #835

-12.8% with a 57-23-20 portfolio (now, not sure what it was Jan 1 2022).

I thought it was gong to be considerably worse but I had to type in all dividends/capital gains in Quicken for 2 accounts, one of them my biggest account, since the Quicken download no longer works for those accounts (it does update fund values, just not dividends/gains/etc). It made a big difference.
"Just a flesh wound!" -- Black Knight
RobLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 04:35 AM   #836

2023 will be just under 4%. Around 3.80.
Old 01-12-2023, 05:33 AM   #837
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost there View Post
For 2023, is this interest rate? S&P500 return? Or something else?
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 05:42 AM   #838
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost there View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
For 2023, is this interest rate? S&P500 return? Or something else?
Wrong thread perhaps? Sounds like planned withdrawal rate.
Old 01-12-2023, 06:16 AM   #839
Recycles dryer sheets

2022 Year End Performance

AA = 100% equities
Return = Down about 28%

I fired my wealth management company in June 2021. They had me in about 80 individual stocks and I've shifted a majority of my portfolio to low cost index funds.
RetiredAt49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 06:43 AM   #840
Give me a forum ...

With today’s inflation report from BLS, it appears that the 2022 real return from my retirement portfolio was -28.31%.

Quoting a long-running late night talk show gag: “This is only an exhibition, not a competition.”

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote