Join Early Retirement Today

2022 RMD's
Old 05-30-2022, 07:32 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

2022 RMD's

I have read (do not recall where) speculation that RMD requirements could be changed for the year 2022 (as in reduced/eliminated for the year). Is there any reasonable expectation that this could happen? This would be beyond the updated life expectancy tables.

Thanks.

dave

ps. There is a bill that I believe has passed the house (HR 2954) that raises the age from 72 to 75. So the question about action or ultimate passage of this bill (which is a lot more than just RMD's) is in play here.
DaveLeeNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2022, 07:40 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have not heard anything specific though I've heard the age 75 trial balloon. Heh, heh, the past changes have always been just a day late (and dollar short) for me. Now at 75, I guess it's moot.

It turns out that I've been taking MORE than the RMD calculated value because I need to reduce my qualified money in hopes of avoiding the various "cliffs" in the future. I've thought about doing Roth conversions, but really don't wish to tie up money in them (have significant Roths already.) YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 08:13 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

2022 is already well underway, Dave.
I've been taking equal monthly amounts toward my RMD since January. No need to make any change at this point...
TheWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 08:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
...It turns out that I've been taking MORE than the RMD calculated value because I need to reduce my qualified money in hopes of avoiding the various "cliffs" in the future. I've thought about doing Roth conversions, but really don't wish to tie up money in them (have significant Roths already.) YMMV
There's no real "tie up" in a Roth IRA in your situation.
I'll probably do a small Roth conversion in mid December after completing my RMD, just to get my AGI up close to the next higher (projected) IRMAA tier threshold...
Old 05-30-2022, 08:43 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWizard View Post
There's no real "tie up" in a Roth IRA in your situation.
I'll probably do a small Roth conversion in mid December after completing my RMD, just to get my AGI up close to the next higher (projected) IRMAA tier threshold...
Heh, heh, the tie up may be mental on my part. I've never gotten into one of my Roths and I probably wouldn't if I converted yet another one. Just a personal "kink" of mine - Roths are "sacred" I guess.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 08:54 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
2022 is already well underway, Dave.
I've been taking equal monthly amounts toward my RMD since January. No need to make any change at this point...
I guess that is true if you assume that such a change (IF it happened) would be managed in the same way it was in 2020. That year the change was announced in March of 2020 and procedures for rolling back already taken distributions were put in place in June of that year.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-ann...-the-cares-act

dave
Old 05-30-2022, 09:57 AM   #7

this bill has been kicking around for a while now. Since this is an election year, I'd say that the chance of anything happening on this is very remote.

Also, I think the extension of the start date is phased in so depending on one's age, the change may be less than three years (72 ---> 75). I think in my case (will be 70 next year) the change would be only one year.

Given those two things, I try not to waste a single brain cell following this bill.
jebmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 10:14 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

The text of the bill says that the change would take place after December 31, 2022. See below:

SEC. 106. INCREASE IN AGE FOR REQUIRED BEGINNING DATE FOR MANDATORY DISTRIBUTIONS.
(a) In General.—Section 401(a)(9)(C)(i)(I) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 is amended by striking “age 72” and inserting “the applicable age”.
(b) Spouse Beneficiaries; Special Rule For Owners.—Subparagraphs (B)(iv)(I) and (C)(ii)(I) of section 401(a)(9) of such Code are each amended by striking “age 72” and inserting “the applicable age”.

(c) Applicable Age.—Section 401(a)(9)(C) of such Code is amended by adding at the end the following new clause:

“(v) APPLICABLE AGE.—

“(I) In the case of an individual who attains age 72 after December 31, 2022, and age 73 before January 1, 2030, the applicable age is 73.

“(II) In the case of an individual who attains age 73 after December 31, 2029, and age 74 before January 1, 2033, the applicable age is 74.

“(III) In the case of an individual who attains age 74 after December 31, 2032, the applicable age is 75.”.

(d) Conforming Amendments.—The last sentence of section 408(b) of such Code is amended by striking “age 72” and inserting “the applicable age (determined under section 401(a)(9)(C)(v) for the calendar year in which such taxable year begins)”.

(e) Effective Date.—The amendments made by this section shall apply to distributions required to be made after December 31, 2022, with respect to individuals who attain age 72 after such date.
Morgan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 10:32 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebmke View Post
this bill has been kicking around for a while now. Since this is an election year, I'd say that the chance of anything happening on this is very remote.

Also, I think the extension of the start date is phased in so depending on one's age, the change may be less than three years (72 ---> 75). I think in my case (will be 70 next year) the change would be only one year.

Given those two things, I try not to waste a single brain cell following this bill.
I am not sure how much that I am getting out of my brain cells these days. But wasting money .....

dave
Old 05-30-2022, 11:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Heh, heh, the tie up may be mental on my part. I've never gotten into one of my Roths and I probably wouldn't if I converted yet another one. Just a personal "kink" of mine - Roths are "sacred" I guess.
Ok, I guess I'm somewhat similar then, in that I've been moving money into my Roth IRA over the past decade-plus and have never taken any out yet.

I am planning to order a new car before long to replace my 2008 vehicle. Depending on how the lots on my taxable account stand when I need to withdraw $40k or so, I may withdraw entirely from taxable and take a loss for tax purposes or I may withdraw a portion from my Roth to keep my AGI (for 2023 most likely) from getting me into the next higher IRMAA tier.

My Roth IRA is a bit of a financial security blanket...
Old 05-30-2022, 12:39 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveLeeNC View Post
I have read (do not recall where) speculation that RMD requirements could be changed for the year 2022 (as in reduced/eliminated for the year). Is there any reasonable expectation that this could happen? This would be beyond the updated life expectancy tables.

Thanks.

dave

ps. There is a bill that I believe has passed the house (HR 2954) that raises the age from 72 to 75. So the question about action or ultimate passage of this bill (which is a lot more than just RMD's) is in play here.
I think the chances of 2022 RMDs being eliminated as they were in 2020 is pretty much zero. Some people have speculated such, but that seems to me to be wishful thinking on their part.

My understanding is that there are (at least) two "SECURE 2.0" bills - a House version and a Senate version. These have some chance of passing, but the bills would likely need to be reconciled. And since these are both pending legislation not anywhere near being enacted at this point, I think discussion of them is off limits per forum rules.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 02:17 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Dave, when you are doing your RMDs remember that if you want to do any charitable giving this year you can do it from your IRA (Qualified Charitable Distribution--up to a max of $100,000) and the amount going to charity will reduce the amount of your RMD.

By the way I love your town of Pinehurst. I use to come to MidPines for Peggy Kirk Belle's golf school every year, what a treat.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 03:12 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveLeeNC View Post
I guess that is true if you assume that such a change (IF it happened) would be managed in the same way it was in 2020. That year the change was announced in March of 2020 and procedures for rolling back already taken distributions were put in place in June of that year.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-ann...-the-cares-act

dave
I too was hoping the RMD would be suspended due to the terrible drop in the equity and bond markets, I need to do my 1st RMD this year. I remembered the RMD was suspended in 2020 and was hoping they'd do it again but now that I see in 2020 it was done in March, well it is getting later into this year and with many RMDs done it seems unlikely they would lift the requirement.
Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 05:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graybeard View Post
I too was hoping the RMD would be suspended due to the terrible drop in the equity and bond markets, I need to do my 1st RMD this year. I remembered the RMD was suspended in 2020 and was hoping they'd do it again but now that I see in 2020 it was done in March, well it is getting later into this year and with many RMDs done it seems unlikely they would lift the requirement.
chance they will do a one time waiver again is as close to zero as you can get. I don't even think Secure 2.0 will surface between now and the end of the year; I suppose it could come back in a lame duck session but normally there aren't many days those critters work in November and December.
jebmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 06:51 PM   #15

I can't imagine why it ever makes sense to the government to suspend RMDs in a given year.
It was certainly a mistake to have done it in 2020.

If you're so close to the freaking edge that it matters to you, then move your RMD for the year into a MM fund on January 2nd and withdraw it as desired over the year...
Old 05-30-2022, 07:26 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I can't imagine why it ever makes sense to the government to suspend RMDs in a given year.
It was certainly a mistake to have done it in 2020.

If you're so close to the freaking edge that it matters to you, then move your RMD for the year into a MM fund on January 2nd and withdraw it as desired over the year...
If you don't need the RMD for living expenses and have no real use for the money letting it sit tax deferred for another year is good. That is my case. Add to that we are taking an RMD based upon the inflated values of 12/31/2021 vs the down graded values now. I was going to get mine out of the way but now I'm sitting tight on the hopes the market will go up so the loss is less than if I did it a month ago or today. I sure don't think the market will increase back to the 2021 YE amount I had and I don't want to be fooling around in late December day by day watching so any "good" point will be my time.
Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 07:41 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graybeard View Post
If you don't need the RMD for living expenses and have no real use for the money letting it sit tax deferred for another year is good. That is my case. Add to that we are taking an RMD based upon the inflated values of 12/31/2021 vs the down graded values now. I was going to get mine out of the way but now I'm sitting tight on the hopes the market will go up so the loss is less than if I did it a month ago or today. I sure don't think the market will increase back to the 2021 YE amount I had and I don't want to be fooling around in late December day by day watching so any "good" point will be my time.
Well, good luck with that.
I do equal monthly RMD withdrawals, adjusted early each January for the next year.
I'm not in the mood for fussing with minor details anymore...
Old 07-22-2022, 08:06 AM   #18

I would just recharacterize my RMD as a Roth conversion if allowed.
So go for it...
Old 07-22-2022, 08:14 AM   #19

There was already a recent thread on this so they were merged.
Old 07-22-2022, 10:44 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan22 View Post
The text of the bill says that the change would take place after December 31, 2022. See below:

SEC. 106. INCREASE IN AGE FOR REQUIRED BEGINNING DATE FOR MANDATORY DISTRIBUTIONS.

(a) In General.—Section 401(a)(9)(C)(i)(I) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 is amended by striking “age 72” and inserting “the applicable age”.

(b) Spouse Beneficiaries; Special Rule For Owners.—Subparagraphs (B)(iv)(I) and (C)(ii)(I) of section 401(a)(9) of such Code are each amended by striking “age 72” and inserting “the applicable age”.

(c) Applicable Age.—Section 401(a)(9)(C) of such Code is amended by adding at the end the following new clause:

“(v) APPLICABLE AGE.—

“(I) In the case of an individual who attains age 72 after December 31, 2022, and age 73 before January 1, 2030, the applicable age is 73.

“(II) In the case of an individual who attains age 73 after December 31, 2029, and age 74 before January 1, 2033, the applicable age is 74.

“(III) In the case of an individual who attains age 74 after December 31, 2032, the applicable age is 75.”.

(d) Conforming Amendments.—The last sentence of section 408(b) of such Code is amended by striking “age 72” and inserting “the applicable age (determined under section 401(a)(9)(C)(v) for the calendar year in which such taxable year begins)”.

(e) Effective Date.—The amendments made by this section shall apply to distributions required to be made after December 31, 2022, with respect to individuals who attain age 72 after such date.
If the Senate and House can agree.
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rmd; hr8331