Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-17-2022, 05:17 AM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

Like many on this thread, I use TT because it has all of my history. If I can find a discount, I’ll take it. I’m no longer a fan of the design though. I’ve used it since it was basically just a spreadsheet of the IRS forms. It’s been dumbed down so much, it’s harder to figure out IMHO. And you’re asked to choose a version at the start instead of pricing at the end based on entries. Last, all of that up sell stuff at the end that they make seem like requirements, where your info gets shared with 3rd parties - just feels sleazy. But I’ll still fork over my $75 or whatever the fee is. Sure beats the days of a scratch pad and calculator!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2022, 06:45 AM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bs View Post
It’s always bugged me that the IRS doesn’t offer free filing software for everyone. Seems like that would encourage electronic filing, which saves them having to deal with paper and humans. My return is simple enough that I’ve been tempted to skip the TT or HRB software and file paper out of principle, but I’ve gotten spoiled by the e-file processing time.
If your return is that simple and you don't want the software help, then I would recommend using Free File at the IRS website. Even for larger incomes it is electronic filing for free. However, it provide no real preparation help and really only does some basic math for you. If you're interested in processing time, my refund hit my saving account on 2/7 this year, so it is fast.
Mark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 09:30 AM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Another free option is AARP Foundation Tax Aide. They have limitations for what scope of return they can prepare, but they can do a surprisingly wide range of returns.

There is no charge. You're not required to be an AARP member, or of any age. They can prepare federal and state, and e-file for you, usually while you wait and usually in about an hour, and will provide hardcopy printouts of your tax returns. If you're nice, they may even provide some advice or suggestions regarding how to reduce your tax liability.

And if you do like I did and become a volunteer, not only do you get to prepare other people's taxes for free, you also can do your own and any friends and family member returns for free as well.

VITA is another similar program.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 09:55 AM   #64

For the budget-minded, https://www.olt.com/main/OLTSTATEFF/default.asp (OnLine Taxes) is free for fed and state, if your AGI < $73K.
Old 11-17-2022, 09:59 AM   #65
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
Another free option is AARP Foundation Tax Aide. They have limitations for what scope of return they can prepare, but they can do a surprisingly wide range of returns.

There is no charge. You're not required to be an AARP member, or of any age. They can prepare federal and state, and e-file for you, usually while you wait and usually in about an hour, and will provide hardcopy printouts of your tax returns. If you're nice, they may even provide some advice or suggestions regarding how to reduce your tax liability.

And if you do like I did and become a volunteer, not only do you get to prepare other people's taxes for free, you also can do your own and any friends and family member returns for free as well.

Thank you for mentioning that option. I volunteered with the AARP tax program for a number of years.
The program was designed for low income filers, but we would take anyone at our site. At my BIL's site in NY, they would only take people with less that $50K in income.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 10:02 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1 View Post
If your return is that simple and you don't want the software help, then I would recommend using Free File at the IRS website. Even for larger incomes it is electronic filing for free. However, it provide no real preparation help and really only does some basic math for you. If you're interested in processing time, my refund hit my saving account on 2/7 this year, so it is fast.
Do you mean the fillable forms for any income level ?
Old 11-17-2022, 10:05 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleLindy View Post
Like many on this thread, I use TT because it has all of my history. If I can find a discount, I’ll take it. I’m no longer a fan of the design though. I’ve used it since it was basically just a spreadsheet of the IRS forms. It’s been dumbed down so much, it’s harder to figure out IMHO. And you’re asked to choose a version at the start instead of pricing at the end based on entries. Last, all of that up sell stuff at the end that they make seem like requirements, where your info gets shared with 3rd parties - just feels sleazy. But I’ll still fork over my $75 or whatever the fee is. Sure beats the days of a scratch pad and calculator!
I jumped from TT to HRB, when TT wanted extra money for a basic form, this was years ago and they corrected that consumer mistake, but lost me.

The one time jump was pretty easy, since each can import from the other, but I had to be watchful that everything was carried over, and learn a slightly different way things were done.
However, for the past 10 years, my tax software costs 1/2 the price of the equivalent TT software so it's paid off.
Old 11-17-2022, 11:01 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Do you mean the fillable forms for any income level ?
Yes, I use the "Free File Fillable Forms". It looks like they (IRS) also have an options that is "guided", but that is only for AGI's of <$73,000 and I have never used that one.
Mark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 02:41 PM   #69
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Here is a 50% off deal from TaxAct. Offer expires on 11/28.

50% off next year’s federal and state tax filing
Old 11-17-2022, 03:12 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM View Post
Ive always used HR Block Deluxe and had no issues with filing Schedules D and E. Now their website suggests I have to buy their Premium Edition.

If anyone has HR Block Deluxe 2022, can you let me know if it is still supporting Schedules D and E? Hate to buy it and find out it doesn’t. I know I can upgrade, but I’ve been playing with FreeTaxUSA and may consider switching to that. Not sure I want to pay $70 for the HR Block Premium version.

Their Web site says: Deluxe is good for investors, and Premium has extra features for self-employed people and landlords.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 04:47 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Their Web site says: Deluxe is good for investors, and Premium has extra features for self-employed people and landlords.
It's been many years since I used the Premium version of HR Block, but the only difference I found was the Premium had an interview interface, to fill out some simple form.
Frankly it was dumb and annoying, and I'd rather just list my expenses by category.
Now maybe it's changed, but the Deluxe is all a landlord needs if they have done a tax return previously, so they know what are income vs expenses and depreciation.
Old 11-18-2022, 11:30 AM   #72

Fellow tightwads, this place https://bighometax.com/product/turbo...nload/#reviews claims to have PC/Mac version of TurboTax for $35.99, and *claims* to be genuine.
Old 11-18-2022, 11:32 AM   #73

Not according to TurboTax:

Where can I obtain authentic TurboTax programs?
Old 11-18-2022, 11:37 AM   #74
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post

Interesting that Walmart isn't on the list.
Old 11-18-2022, 11:49 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I jumped from TT to HRB, when TT wanted extra money for a basic form, this was years ago and they corrected that consumer mistake, but lost me.

The one time jump was pretty easy, since each can import from the other, but I had to be watchful that everything was carried over, and learn a slightly different way things were done.
However, for the past 10 years, my tax software costs 1/2 the price of the equivalent TT software so it's paid off.
Exactly what I did too. HRB was always cheaper than TT but they had serious issues with their Deluxe software years ago and lost me as a customer. Have been very happy with HRB.
11522914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 11:54 AM   #76

I got a copy of HRB some years ago just because I wanted to try it out. Did my taxes in parallel with both TT and HRB to see if there would be any difference.

Turned out that they use different rounding methods (I don't know if that's still true) and HRB had me paying a dollar more in total tax. So I've stuck with TT ever since. Over a lifetime that would amount to some serious money!

Do I get this week's Cheapskate award?
Old 11-18-2022, 12:11 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I got a copy of HRB some years ago just because I wanted to try it out. Did my taxes in parallel with both TT and HRB to see if there would be any difference.

Turned out that they use different rounding methods (I don't know if that's still true) and HRB had me paying a dollar more in total tax. So I've stuck with TT ever since. Over a lifetime that would amount to some serious money!

Do I get this week's Cheapskate award?
Since I can get HRB every year for at least $15 less than TT that $1 in savings can be costly.

Now if you're getting it free from Fidelity then we're talkin
11522914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 02:38 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by camfused View Post
Fellow tightwads, this place https://bighometax.com/product/turbo...nload/#reviews claims to have PC/Mac version of TurboTax for $35.99, and *claims* to be genuine.
I get TurboTax Deluxe with State from Amazon usually the day after Thanksgiving for about $40 which included a $10 Amazon Gift Card, They've been offering that deal for a few years now although I think they were late by a few days last year.
RetiredAndLovingIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 02:58 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11522914 View Post
Now if you're getting it free from Fidelity then we're talkin
Yes, I'm one of the lucky ones who gets TT free from FIDO. For the last 5 or 6 years anyway.
Old 11-18-2022, 03:33 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post

I just got a call from a Tax Aide coordinator today regarding my volunteer application. I think I passed the phone interview so now I wait to hear from the local contact about what comes next. I'm really excited about it, I'm always looking to learn something new and I love to help anyone when I can but this is my first volunteer position, I not normally the volunteering type so we'll see how it goes. I'll probably continue to use Turbotax for my own taxes this year since I always pass it along to my daughter for her to use.
RetiredAndLovingIt is offline   Reply With Quote