21 Ways to Cut Expenses in Retirement

I just purchased a Samsung Blue Ray player that , among other things, plays Netflix Now on the TV. I lowered my Netflix account added Blue Ray and still pay less and I can watch an almost unlimited supply of movies.

That reminds me of a cost cutting tactic I have employed since I ERd 5 years ago. I cut my own hair by hand with a pair of barber's scissors. Saving is probably around $20*12 = $240. No one notices much difference between my hack job and the professional job.

Yup, came to the same exact conclusion: I could screw-up my bangs just so well as the beautician, so I watched a YouTube video and learned how to cut my own. OK, so they did look like cr@p the first 5-6 times or so, but I "think" I got it down pretty much now. And who could tell if I did them those first times or not since nobody else was doing them well here, anyway.
My ponytail is mid-back and I even cut that. Thank heaven for wavy, thick hair that can hide the boo-boos...ha!

A few weeks ago on the HLN (Headline News) channel, they had on the consumer tips guy, Clark Howard. He said that you could make a pack of razors last 6 months simply by drying them off after each use. Apparently the water corrodes the finish which works to dull the blade.

So... I wanted to try this. Razors are way too expensive in my opinion, anyway.

I have an average beard thickness and typically replace my razor once per week. I know it needs replacing when I start to get nicks and cuts.

I found that my razor lasted about twice as long, before needing replacing. It's easy enough to dry off the blade with a towel after shaving. I won't get 6 months from one pack of razors, but Clark just shaved my annual razor costs by 50% - thanks Clark.

I saw that, too. After drying the blade, I spray a little generic baby oil on it. Bought a small sprayer bottle at a dollar store. Fits in the medicine cabinet.

I've been on the same blade at least a month. Lost track......

I just purchased a Samsung Blue Ray player that , among other things, plays Netflix Now on the TV. I lowered my Netflix account added Blue Ray and still pay less and I can watch an almost unlimited supply of movies.

Same here. We used to go to the movies for about $100 per month. With Netflix, we're down to $13 - unlimited and at any time we want to watch them

Back
Top Bottom