2nd time portfolio shows a loss

-4.1% including withdrawals.
-2.35% excluding withdrawals.

Last edited:
More interesting to me is the first look at spending/withdrawal rates - since this was my first full calendar year of retirement.

Successfully navigating the financial side of that first year is always a great "hey, I can do this!" feeling. Congratulations.

This is the first time that my accounts have gone down between year ends since 2008 (which was the only other time it has happened).

My NW is up 34%, but that's overcoming bad investment performance (-8%) with good savings performance and options from work. The world will feel different once I RE I suspect :). Impressed by youbgiys who were up this year.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

My 401K was -1.42%. Maxed out in mid-March this year.

My Fidelity accounts were up 5.57%, according to their calculations, as of 11/30/2015. Quite a bit of new money was added, so it's more difficult for me to calculate...

Here is a good guess for my Fidelity accounts. All mostly ETFs consisting of DVY, IVV, IVW, QQQ, IWM, FHLC, PFG. All dividends reinvested. Monthly purchases in my after tax account.

I just came up with a net increase/decrease, removed any new money, and divided the end by the beginning balance.

Roth, no funds added, was +4.3% as of 12/31/15.
IRA, some funds added, was +5.2% as of 12/31/15.
After Tax, funds added was +3.0% as of 12/31/15.

I think my portfolio might have shown a gain had I left it untouched, but this year I chose to use part of it to buy a more expensive house in cash, sell my previous home, and move, all of which involved some costs. And then there was the crummy market, and the fact that I used some of my portfolio for 2015 living expenses.

So, between my investment portfolio and bank accounts, my 12/31/2015 balance compared with my 12/31/2014 balance, is down 5.7%. :mad: I expected this, planned it, and can afford it, but it isn't pretty. My WR for 2016 is still in the 1.x% area so it will be OK.

Long ago my ex and I had a blue and gold macaw named Lucy who was terrified of thunderstorms when she was a baby. When thunder shook the house, I would comfort her by snuggling with her and saying, "It's OK, it's OK". As she grew older, she wasn't as upset by thunderstorms. Then, when thunder rang out, she would look directly into my eyes and say in such a tender voice, "It's OK, it's OK". :LOL: So, I am imagining Lucy saying that to me this morning as I look at these balances.

It's a lot to ask of your portfolio if you expect it to go up every year despite raiding the cookie jar to buy dream houses! :LOL:

Now go and do the same calculations for a series of years using your Net Worth. Under Assets, include the sale value of your previous home for years past and the purchase price of your new home for 2015. I think that exercise will make you happier. :cool:

It's a lot to ask of your portfolio if you expect it to go up every year despite raiding the cookie jar to buy dream houses! :LOL:

Now go and do the same calculations for a series of years using your Net Worth. Under Assets, include the sale value of your previous home for years past and the purchase price of your new home for 2015. I think that exercise will make you happier. :cool:

Aw, thank you!! You are right, that DOES make me a little happier.

Another thing I tried was adding up the "leftover" money, between what I spent each year in retirement, and the 3.5% that I think would be OK for me to have spent each year. I think maybe this is what some other members like Audreyh1 and Moemg do, if I understand their posts correctly? I think they keep the leftover money set aside, to use on years when more is needed. Anyway, my leftover money from 2010 to now did add up to more than the money I spent on the house.

It's kind of hard for me to figure out how to handle a big expense like this.

So, between my investment portfolio and bank accounts, my 12/31/2015 balance compared with my 12/31/2014 balance, is down 5.7%. :mad: I expected this, planned it, and can afford it, but it isn't pretty. My WR for 2016 is still in the 1.x% area so it will be OK.

5.7% is but a hiccup ! During 2008 I lost almost 40% . Now that is an ouch !

5.7% is but a hiccup ! During 2008 I lost almost 40% . Now that is an ouch !
Yes, 2008 was definitely an ouch (23.5% for me even with my 50/50 split) The worst thing at the end of 2008 was not knowing but suspecting that perhaps there was more to come and even entertaining the thought that maybe what was to come was "it". RMD's would definitely not be a problem...

Sure wish I could play along, but the complexities of my company esop are such that I don't know until June what the ending value of the previous year was! :-(

Down 1.25% not counting withdrawals. Energy and gold were the big losers.

Was up .1% last year. Any gain is a good one, like any landing you can walk away from . . .

Long ago my ex and I had a blue and gold macaw named Lucy who was terrified of thunderstorms when she was a baby. When thunder shook the house, I would comfort her by snuggling with her and saying, "It's OK, it's OK". As she grew older, she wasn't as upset by thunderstorms. Then, when thunder rang out, she would look directly into my eyes and say in such a tender voice, "It's OK, it's OK". :LOL:
She sounds absolutely adorable :)

I think we have been spoiled by the bull market of 2010-2014. We expect our stash to grow despite withdrawal. In recent threads when the prognostication by Bogle and Shiller of future low market returns was discussed, people got upset and almost called them names.

We will see how the future unfolds, but if this market trend continues there will be a lot of teeth gnashing and wailing. :)

Last edited:
Down 0.7% for Year 2015. I can live with that. My small-cap value and foreign stock allocations are what put me under water last year.

Back
Top Bottom